What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

OLIVE FILMS PRESENTS - Olive Signature (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
High Noon has a complete new set of extras. So if you still want the SD "The Making of High Noon" you'll want to keep your disc (or save the DVD from Artisan it's the same doc )

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Are they releasing UHD versions as well as 1080p? If not, why not because it is a missed opportunity otherwise. I have High Noon but only want to upgrade to UHD now, no longer interested in incremental differences.

Is there an actual market for 60 year old B&W academy ratio films on UHD? I thought it was geared to CGI blockbusters.

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor
When Paramount was doing the new restoration, we provided the necessary documents to insure that JG was finally mastered in the correct aspect ratio.

I saw the 4K widescreen restoration a few months ago at the Wexner Center in Columbus, OH. It's an improvement, but it still looked a little dupey, perhaps due to generational loss? It did look far more natural with a rather pronounced grain structure that merely appeared clumpy on the Blu.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Count me in on those two, don't have Johnny Guitar and only DVD for High Noon.
I'll probably buy both. I skipped both of their editions before because Olive has been underwhelming (to say the least) on video quality and extras. If these are as good as promised, I'm in.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Pre-orders are now up on these titles at Amazon (Ron will no doubt supply the official HTF links soon), and although I'm not pre-ordering, I was interested to note the RRP of $39.95 being $10 higher than these titles' prior incarnation.

By all indications, Olive appears to be making a play for the high-end of the boutique market, currently occupied by the likes of Criterion and Twilight Time. If Olive can match the quality of these labels, then I'll be happy to support their transition - once there's confirmation of quality by trusted sources and the price drops.

Although I've been happy to buy many Olive Blus in $15 territory, there's no way I'll pay anywhere near Criterion/TT prices until Olive has the proven quality to match. The inclusion of English language subtitles among a wealth of extras is already a step in the right direction... but the transfer's the thing!

Last edited:

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Since Paramount has seemingly stopped releasing catalogue titles perhaps they will liscense The Sons Of Katie Elder, Donovan's Reef, In Harms Way, The High and The Mighty, Trouble Along The Way, Hatari! And Five Card Stud to Olive with 4k scans. Hatari! Really needs to be rereleases on Blu Ray with a new transfer!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Curious if this means possibly a new BLU for Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean because that was restored but many questioned the quality of the Olive BLU that it was a dated transfer. I'd buy this one again with the new transfer of it happens.

Also curious for titles to come! And I'm in for the new Johnny Guitar if the early reviews are positive.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Are they releasing UHD versions as well as 1080p? If not, why not because it is a missed opportunity otherwise. I have High Noon but only want to upgrade to UHD now, no longer interested in incremental differences.

Would the difference between 2K and 4K on a 65 year old, black and white, Academy ratio 35mm film really be much more than incremental?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Since Paramount has seemingly stopped releasing catalogue titles perhaps they will liscense The Sons Of Katie Elder, Donovan's Reef, In Harms Way, The High and The Mighty, Trouble Along The Way, Hatari! And Five Card Stud to Olive with 4k scans. Hatari! Really needs to be rereleases on Blu Ray with a new transfer!

Doesn't the Wayne estate control "High and the Mighty"?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Actually, JOHNNY GUITAR looks just fine at 1.33. Remember that in 1954, Republic was still servicing many small-town theatres that hadn't converted to 'Scope yet, so it was carefully composed by Stradling to look good in either ratio.

Mike S.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doesn't the Wayne estate control "High and the Mighty"?

Yes but they leased the rights to Paramount, however Paramount can not sub lease it to anyone else.

The rest of the Wayne films that Paramount controls on their own are licensed to Warner Brothers.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Very happy for this, honestly. Many like myself assumed that Olive would not ever revisit any of their earlier blu-ray releases (aside from an occasional bundling). I actually skipped their High Noon blu-ray because of the poor reviews it received and having the serviceable DVD collector's edition. Regarding Johnny Guitar, I figured what we got from them would be it for the next several years until they felt the need to double dip. This is a lot sooner than anticipated.

One other good thing about this is that this new line with its higher price tag could get them to pony up for higher restoration/remastering costs for more troublesome films in their library.

I'm hopeful this leads to a new remaster of The Quiet Man.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Joe, I skipped High Noon for the same reason. It's not one of my favorite westerns so I was ok still owning the dvd but if the reviews are good I'll buy it. Never seen Johnny Guitar and somehow still don't have a desire to.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Curious if this means possibly a new BLU for Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean because that was restored but many questioned the quality of the Olive BLU that it was a dated transfer. I'd buy this one again with the new transfer of it happens.

Come Back To The Five And Dime JD JD was shot on 16 miillimeter I believe and then blown up to 35mm. I saw it opening weekend in a first run theater and it looked like it was shot on 16 mm and blown up to 35 mm. It's not a film in which hi-def is going to make much difference and it's a dialogue driven film where the visuals are adequate, basically a camera filming a stage play. I seriously doubt there's a market for a remastered Come Back. That it was ever released at all on blu is something I'm grateful for but it's a niche film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcrouch1983
Recent bookmarks