What's new

*** Official Splinter Cell (X-Box) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Evan, if you could go through the whole game without killing a soul, it would be amazing. I know once you get to the Abatoir level, you have to kill some folks because there is not enough time for stealth. You'll see and the folks that have passed that level know what I'm talking about.
I just checked out some of the extras in the game, like the behind the scenes stuff and I just saw an ad for the game during Alias on ABC last night. It's also funny that Mitsubishi now has a commercial out using "name of the game" that's in the opening of SC. I think a bunch of the extras gives you a little foreshadowing, they show a cutscene that is inside the chinese embassy 2 mission in an adjoining room from the first big room you get a thermal code from. Right now that room is empty with a boarded up door in the back, but the extras show Sam running down that door which is open and place is on fire. A little foreshadowing of things to come I guess! :)
Jay

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
im on the last level, somewhere near the end of it I assume. This game is soo great I cant stress it enough.
Now that I know what to do on each level, I cant wait to relive the experience on Hard difficulty. And, the new missions cant come soon enough via Content Download on Live!!
But, I do have one gripe. Has anyone used the split jump more than twice in the entire game? Ive only used it twice, once in the training (which technically doesnt count) and once early on where its like a hallway of shelves and you can shoot out the lights and then split jump and wait for the wondering guard (this is the famous scene they show whenever they show off the split jump in the game on commercials etc.) I find this anoying as its an interesting move and not used enough.
Another gripe I have, while this has to do with any game that has night vision goggles, is that I tend to have them on all the time. Since the game is so dark, it makes sense to use them, but then Im just playing a black and white game :frowning: Thermals are really cool too!!

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, I was wondering the same thing about the Split Jump. I'm going throught all the levels again to see where we can do it. So far I'm at the Kalinatek, and I've seen two opportunities (not ocunting training): the police station, and the generator room in the CIA. I'll keep you posted if there's another place.

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone used the split jump more than twice in the entire game?

I agree with you, it's such a cool move that I'd like to use it more...I'm looking forward to going back through the game again on hard with a fresh perspective. I kind of feel like I didn't have full command of Sam's abilities and arsenal until the very last mission so it will be fun to tackle some of the earlier missions with new tactics.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think one of the problems with the split jump is that many places where you can use a split jump, you can also simply climb the object and hang out on top. Obviously you can't climb hallways and stuff but many places there seems to be easier ways of jumping a guy. And, especially for me, I am HORRIBLE at jumping, let alone doing double jumps and consequently, split jumps. I have never used it except for the training mission. I've used every other move though. I'm currently at the Chinese Embassy 2nd time around. I was kind of wondering in the beginning why can't Sam crawl, but so far, it hasn't been needed although a couple of places I've seen it could be useful.

With night-vision, I find myself turning them on and off. I'm afraid I'd accidentally walk into semi-lightness if you're not careful to pay attention to your lightness meter.

Jay

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
With night-vision, I find myself turning them on and off. I'm afraid I'd accidentally walk into semi-lightness if you're not careful to pay attention to your lightness meter.
This is exactly my fear as well and I do the same thing. As for the thermals, are you equipped with them from the start or are they something you acquire along the way. I don't have them yet and I'm early into the second mission. I was wondering if I missed them along the way or if they are going to be given to me soon.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Evan, I think you get them for the 3rd mission and keep them after that. Soon anyway...

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
whew, finished the game right before I had to return it to blockbuster. Great game!

The difficulty went way up the last two levels. Good thing it was a long weekend.

favorite moment - killing Ginko the mercenery, man that was when it starts to get tough.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Alright, past the second thermal code scan in the Chinese Embassy 2. into a warehouse with a colonel at the door and 2 guards. They're pretty simply but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong next. You see a cutscene of a soldier filling up a truck and then you're off. I go all the way to the end of the stairs and into a trap door... Stupid OPCOM thing is now saying what are you doing wasting your time, the trucks have left, mission over.. blah blah blah... What on earth is he talking about, I ran as fast as I could, happens all the time. I even went back in previous checkpoints. ALL BODIES are in the darkness for those that I killed... Except for the poor dog I had to stun. You can't move dogs. I hope this isn;'t another pointless trigger.. They are getting seriously annoying, kind of like that dirty disc error in Morrowind. Am I doing something wrong. You can't climb the fence to get to the truck, there is no way to climb the pipes over the fence, the window by the entrence is too small to go through, the trap door is the only logical step but I cannot go in there.

I've even put the three bodies from the warehouse room in the small room with the medikit and ammo and SHOT out the lights so the switch wont even work if used. What on earth is going on?

Jay

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
He does tell you that you have to stop the trucks.Run to the end of the walkway so that you can see the 2 trucks. Take out the Sniper Rifle, zoom in on the gas pump and shoot.:emoji_thumbsup: That's why they show the guy filling up the trucks and dropping the nozzle.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OHHHHH!!!, Gee, I never knew that was my objective. My object, according to my NOTES was to find Farong's computer in the basement... basement, trap door..... thanks Michael.
I heard the truck thing, but I thought I had to go in there, the trap door seemed like where the programmers were leading ya, I guess that is next :)
Jay
Ohhh, I have not yet used a disposable pick so far! I have also not used the camera jammer although I have tried it. Anybody else? I have used the sticky shocker alot, a couple ring things on dogs a bunch of frag grenades. haven't used the one smoke grenade I've gotten and haven't used a wall mine yet. Even in the "protect the hostages" scenario, I just used the good old SC20K, in sniper mode and in full auto mode for Grinko. Call me old fashioned!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I went with a stealth approach but took each guard out quietly and then hid the bodies. I found that this approach worked very well since I still aquired all the data sticks this way.
I should have clarified. I meant full stealth where nobody knows you were ever there. Figured that would be the best tactic when going through the CIA. ;) But next in line is as you suggest - quietly putting people to sleep and hiding them.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Well Im saving hostages now.Almost done I guess,keep getting them killed though.Anybody got any good strategies for that part?Id really appreciate it :D I have to say while the game has been entertaining,its also been a little disappointing.As others have mentioned some things like the split jump have been absolutely useless.Only there for show really.But I have to say my biggest gripe hands down is Sam's goddamn weapons! What the hell were the programmers thinking?The guns aim stinks and sometimes takes six friggin hits to knock a guy down! And you have to be DAMN accurate with those head shots because apparently a shot to the neck ain't very lethal.And sniping stinks,I've never shot a rifle,so can anyone please tell me that no trained sniper shakes that much? I couldn't stand that in socom either. Good solid game but definitely has a few problems that hopefully get dealt with in the sequel.Ill probably sell it when Im done.So anybody on the fence Give me a week or two ;) Its definitely a game worth the buy,the graphics are top notch and the 5.1 kicks ass,Id easily recommend it problems aside.Also,those anyone know if you get any bonuses when you beat the game?Just wondering.
Later,
Luis S

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
How do you disable the wallmines? I'm at a section where 2 of them have to be disabled (blowing them up would abort the mission), and I blow up every time. I slowwwwly approach the mine, until I have the option to disable the mine. I press "A" and Sam starts to do his stuff. Then it looks like he finishes, just stands there, and the mine goes off. Any tips?

-Dave

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Dave...when prompted, hold the "A" button down and check the colour of the light on the wall mine. If it's green, it's safe to disarm. If it is red, select the back to game option and try it again because it will blow up if you continue.

Hope this helps.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Once I'm close enough to a mine to get the "Disable Wall Mine" option on screen, I just wait and tap the A button when the mine flashes green. I haven't blown up yet.

It pays to read all the data sticks you find lying around...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have no problem with the sniper mode, have you tried to hold the left trigger down when sniping? that should freeze the scope a bit as long as you have breath left. Pushing the left trigger makes Sam hold his breath. You'll see an indicator bar which indicates his breath level and once it goes down and your crosshairs start to blink, he's almost out of breath. That should help immensely in the sniper mode. You should be able to take out practically everybody with one sniper shot nicely placed in the head. Maybe except for the Elites, but you're not there yet :)
For the hostages in Abbatoir:

Disable both turrets, equipd the SC20k and either the ring projectiles or the sticky shocker. Talk to the US soldiers, make sure you're reloaded. Don't forget to grab the ammo in the rack by the hallway too and the medikit. Then talk to the Chinese prisoners, save the checkpoint. The prepare stuff helps speeds things up so you don't have to do it after the checkpoint. Now the sh*t hits the fan. When you get the OPSAT notice, go out to the main turret area, get into crouch and sniper mode.
Shoot the balaclava guard that comes in from the hallway. One shot kill. pan left, move right, look for another soldier behind the pole and by the two bottles. Shoot him-One shot kill hopefully. Then unequip and mosey on towards the US soldier side. Equip SC2k, no need for sniper mode but you can if you wish. Wait for soldier to come around corner. Now you have a choice, if you have 2 sticky shockers left at this point use one here, it makes it easier. If not, just shoot him til dead. Then run back towards the center, get into sniper mode and hopefully you can sniper the colonel (red beret) as he comes in. He throws a grenade, but not at where you are, he throws it towards your left so if you sniper him, great, if not, kill him when he comes around the corner. Don't waste a sticky shocker as he's quite easy to blast. Now you will RUN as quick as you can back towards the US hostages and either sticky shocker the guy that is going to just start throwing a grenade towards the US hostage room. If you have a sticky shocker, use it, its easy, if not hopefully you can interupt him and kill him before he tosses. After this you're done with the protection and you'll get ordered to kill Grinko. He's not hard at all as long as you do it fairly quickly cause other soldiers will trickle in if you wait too long.
If you have wall mines, this part will be even easier as you can set up the wall mines to take out some soldiers. I didn't so I simply used my gun.
Whew!

I am so glad there's a checkpoint after the acrobatics in the presidential palace!!! I was so afraid that I would be stuck there for hours cause I suck at jumping. That last jump was nervewracking cause it was so hard to see the other platform. It kept looking like I was jumping into space I spent 10 minutes trying to see if there was a pipe I was missing. That courtyard though was very fun, I liked that little section.
Right now, I've just gotten through the big hallway and accessed the computer and find out I need to get Nicoladze to access some safe in the library...
Jay
Jay

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Luis S, You could also disable the thing (forget what it's called) in the turrets that allows them to shoot any target that walks by, keep them on and just sit between them. They will aid you in shooting anything that moves. I used a couple of wall mines to help me out.
BTW, I finished it on Hard and I received all the levels opened up to me just like you would for finishing it on Normal difficulty. I was kind of hoping for more but it's going to be fun to go through it again and try things differently.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jay and Micheal,After reading your hints I finally did it! took a couple of tries(damn grenades!)Now its back to the embassy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks