What's new

*** Official Splinter Cell (X-Box) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Luis, it gets a bit tougher from here but hang in there, you're in the home stretch.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Michael, how much harder was it? I finished the game on normal, several days ago and, I need a new challenge. Is it that much harder? Less ammo to be found?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Derrik, I think now that you have finished it on Normal that you won't find Hard all that difficult. You do have less health and the A.I. is a bit more accurate (they don't miss much) but the really hard part was figuring out how to beat the level and you've already done that.

I would be interested in what you thought after trying it on Hard though so please do and let me know. I'm very interested to hear what you think.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well I think I'm most of the way through the last level, I got Nikoladze to open the vault under the library and am now tasked to kill him. How much further is the ending? Couldn't play too much last night cause I wanted to watch the Two Tower's preview on WB at 8pm.

Jay

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Jay H, not too much further now. :)
BTW, I watched The Two Towers preview as well. I'm damn glad that I've already purchased my tickets ahead of time.:D
Did you see Legolas get on the horse as it passed him!?
WOW!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, that was neat although it looked obviously CGI'ed. Much like his jump onto the cave troll from the Fellowship. I found the Gimli thing cute. I know that Dwarves aren't exactly horse people :)
I can't wait to see Helm's Deep, those scenes just look sooo cool and we'll get to see alot of Smeagol this episode, unlike the first one...
Before this goes into a TT thread, I like this level alot, a good mixture of stealth versus just outright firefight. And it's a harder since one headshot to an elite doesn't always seem to kill them. This is the first level where I feel slightly having to conserve ammo a little. Never before have I even had the slightest shortage of ammo.
Jay

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, that was neat although it looked obviously CGI'ed.
It happened so fast that it was hard for me to tell. I "know" that it was CGI but because of how fast it happened it looked pretty great to me.:emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait for this movie!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Finished! Odd not having a huge almost-impossible Boss battle before the end, but I like it.

basically what I did after I killed Nicoladze was go into the kitchen and up the pantrys. Waited for the second soldier to say the kitchen and dining area was clear and then I jumped the first guy in. Then I took out the next two. I was really low on ammo at that point, about the first place in the game that I was but i found there is a clip of ammo the guy you kill when you get pass the courtyard that I didn't notice before. The next room, I basically snuck all the way up towards the upper (third floor) walkway til you can get a clear view of the 2 soldiers. I threw a frag grenade there and wiped them out. One of the soldiers from the right side investigated and then I used a smoke grenade on him. The last guy decided to come up and I just wasted him below the stairs...

Funny or not it was the first time I used a frag grenade and also the first time I used a smoke grenade.

9 missions, not including the training mission

Now to try it on "hard"

Jay

ChrisV

Second Unit
I welcomed the absence of a "boss". It's just not a realistic concept. I thought the game design was so good in the way they kept it challenging all the way through without making it impossible, that it didn't need some artificially difficult battle with a larger than life character at the end.

I did that last bit in a similar way. Killed 3 guards in the kitchen, climbed up to the second floor, smoke grenaded two of the guys at the bottom, then smoke grenaded the stairs to get the guys on the way up. One of them got through, so I put three in his chest and hightailed it out of there.

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
How did you get through the basement?

I just ran for it as soon as the light go out. I did the samething coming out of the elevator, just run to the basement.

For the last door, did anyone try dropping off the balcony and run for the door?

ChrisV

Second Unit
The basement?
I jumped behind the boxes to Sam's left as soon as the lights went out. It took them a while to react, then I was able to pick them off at my leisure.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Joe,Thats exactly what I did at the last part :) Worked for me! :D Anyhow I was a little disapointed with the way it ended.Kinda was hoping for something more face to face know what I mean?Good game but not great.The sequel can be better.
Luis S

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I did the basement similar to chrisV, I wasted the guy in front of me then crouched behind the boxes right there. Wasted a guy who charged me and after the first two, the next three aren't hard. You can sniper the guy crouched further and one pressed against the pole. Then there is a sniper far by the entrence/exit which I didn't see the first time.
About the last room, I thought about it, but I didn't know that was the end, I believe you can climb over the railing by the stairs to the third level walkway. Funny, they must have fixed the lights because that room was used in the beginning and I know I shot out some of the lights there.. :)

Jay

DonJ

Second Unit
I have to say. With the reviewers its seem to be Sony, Game Cube or nothing. There is a real anti Xbox sentiment going on in the games review sector. I mean common grandtheft auto got the same score in graphics and its not even close and Socom even gota better score.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Ahhhh!! I went to rent the game at Hastings, and they didn't even have it on the shelf. WTF? One of the best games on the Xbox and they don't carry it? Idiots! And I'm mad now! I wanted to be playing it right now. :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I just finished the CIA level on "hard" (my second time around) and I have a very important question:
What is "Rollie Pollie Oxenburger" or what on earth are they refering too that sounds like the above? Is that like some Georgian dialect cause to me it sounds like some Saturday Morning Cartoon hero. :D
Jay

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
i have a question tho, as cool as this game is for its realism, how come even with all the lights shot out, guards don't notice the three glowing dots on your head?

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I finished this a couple of days ago too, really great game - made my xbox purchase worthwhile :).
Really a good mix of missions, and I can't wait for some more levels. Doing extraction on the last mission was a killer for me, I had 4 bullets and was pretty low on health - found a way to sneak past them all though :), good stuff!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Excellent game, just finished. Don't remember having that much fun with a game since Half-Life, easily justfied the XBox purchase. Graphics are amazing in 480p (missing out on quite a bit on an NTSC set), easily the best I've seen on any platform.

One little thing that's decidedly un-Clancy-like: The fish in the aquariums show up in my thermal goggles, but fish are cold-blooded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks