What's new

Now that Warner in handling Paramount titles...very disappointing (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
gee how long will we have to wait for The Conformist ? and some paramount titles are coming out in Japan ,like Marathon man

they are doing that Shane & The Odd Couple

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter Neski said:
gee how long will we have to wait for The Conformist ? and some paramount titles are coming out in Japan ,like Marathon man

they are doing that Shane & The Odd Couple
I would be shock if Marathon Man is not release by Warner/Paramount in the next year or so.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Learn patience, sooner or later everything will come out on Blu Ray or DVD. I have my own wish lists but with so many other movies coming out from all the studios I dont mind waiting.
The Blu Ray schedule for the Warner Archives has been slow but Im sure it needs time..patience

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's also likely that certain titles are actually licensed to Criterion and not Warner. The Conformist has long been rumored as such a title. For example, Medium Cool is coming in May from Criterion licensed from Paramount.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I consider myself to be patient but there are many titles that have never been released on home video. There are many thousands of titles that will be uneconomic to distribute on a packaged format and it may be that digital/streaming overtake disc sales before our personal favourites are produced.

Quite a few titles I want are being released by other European distributors. For example I have just received Daddy Long Legs from France and am waiting for Violent Saturday.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
David Steigman said:
Learn patience, sooner or later everything will come out on Blu Ray or DVD. I have my own wish lists but with so many other movies coming out from all the studios I dont mind waiting.
The Blu Ray schedule for the Warner Archives has been slow but Im sure it needs time..patience
I really, really, want to believe this, but I just don't think it's true. As downloads and streaming become increasingly popular, I'm worried that the home video industry will go the way of the music industry, where new releases often aren't even released as physical product anymore. While there are still some great catalogue titles coming out on Blu-ray, I worry that this won't last.

How do others feel about this possibility?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
cafink said:
How do others feel about this possibility?
As long as there are consumers who demand physical discs, either at retail or through rental services, AND that segment is big enough to justify the expense, there will be physical media. But in our world currently fascinated with streaming and clouds and digital downloads, being pushed by Hollywood, we're going to have to "fight" back with our wallets. Personally, I won't buy a digital download or keep my primary copy of a movie in the cloud. I've said that from day one.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Downloading/Streaming will become just another option for viewing movies, in addition to the "old school" physical media everybody knows and still loves. What worries me is we may actually go backwards and start to see certain films released on DVD only, or even MOD and NOT on Blu-ray as a cost-saving measure (i.e., cheap studio bean-counting). We're already seeing some TV shows (Terra Nova, for instance) released only on DVD. Some studios have already lost interest in handling anything but the latest theatrical releases on BD (paramount) but have thankfully decided to at least farm out some titles. Whether or not those titles end up on BD, DVD or Streaming-only depends on the financial stability of the label.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think Paramount doesn't have the interest in anything older. It's that they think someone else can do it better than their resources allow. There was nothing on the Paramount lot last year during the HTF Meet which screamed to me Paramount didn't care about "older" titles. If anything, they're showing respect to them by understanding they can not for whatever reason release themselves.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Paramount has been pawning off their older stuff seemingly to everyone, Warner, Olive, Legend Films even Shout Factory(very little though) I think with a little time we will see a lot of titles. With the Warner Blu Rays I have been waiting for Wait Until Dark and Valley of Gwangi (which they did a lousy MOD) plus Warner has some Hammer titles that I wish they would release but ...

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Speaking of Paramount, . . . speaking of "(im)patience" . . ., speaking of forgetfulness (i.e., negligence), . . .

"THE KEEP"!?! It's only been---what?---30 years!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
David Steigman said:
Paramount has been pawning off their older stuff seemingly to everyone, Warner, Olive, Legend Films even Shout Factory(very little though) I think with a little time we will see a lot of titles.

I remember the day, only two or three years ago, when Paramount licensed to no one, and had come to a standstill putting out catalog titles themselves (they even stopped short of getting all of the Jerry Lewis titles out, one of their major cash cows).

I'm grateful for the stuff they are currently giving to other studios. There remain probably more classic titles on my Blu-ray wish list from Paramount, than from any other studio save Disney. But at least there appears to be some hope I might actually get my hands on DRAGONSLAYER, ROMEO AND JULIET, WAR OF THE WORLDS, THE PARALLAX VIEW, ATLANTIC CITY, BAD NEWS BEARS, CATCH-22, THE COURT JESTER, RAGTIME, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, STALAG 17, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, MARATHON MAN, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE NAKED PREY, NASHVILLE, NORTH DALLAS FORTY, NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, PRETTY BABY, THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYIST, PAPER MOON, A PLACE IN THE SUN, ROMAN HOLIDAY, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER, SERPICO, PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM, ORDINARY PEOPLE... God, what a list, and I'm only getting started!

So, please, Warner Bros, Criterion, Olive, whoever... keep knocking on Paramount's door! And Paramount, keep releasing stuff you think you can sell and making deals with others for all the rest elsewhere. Hopefully, a no-lose situation!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Add to that list ANGELA'S ASHES----CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD-----WITNESS

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Rex Bachmann said:
Speaking of Paramount, . . . speaking of "(im)patience" . . ., speaking of forgetfulness (i.e., negligence), . . .

"THE KEEP"!?! It's only been---what?---30 years!
Agreed, but there seems to be several GIANT roadblocks in the way. My understanding is that the major drawback is the music rights issue with Tangerine Dream, who did the original soundtrack, and to a lesser degree with Director Michael Mann, who supposedly doesn't want this released. Unfortunately we may never see this released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks