What's new

Now that Warner in handling Paramount titles...very disappointing (1 Viewer)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I used to look forward to Olive Films releasing rare Paramount titles that were classic catalog titles. Now Olive is focusing on Republic titles. Other that a double feature Blu of Ben Hur and Ten Comm..andments. There has been an ominous silence...nada...very sad. No new catalog at all....of Paramount films. Why Warner's?

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
kagemusha98 said:
I used to look forward to Olive Films releasing rare Paramount titles that were classic catalog titles. Now Olive is focusing on Republic titles. Other that a double feature Blu of Ben Hur and Ten Comm..andments. There has been an ominous silence...nada...very sad. No new catalog at all....of Paramount films. Why Warner's?
The Great Gatsby (1974) - April 23rd Runaway Bride (1999) - May 17th An Officer and a Gentleman (1981) - May 17th

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Olive may still have rights to several Paramount titles. They stated that the deal with Warner did not effect their own deal with Paramount. In any case, Warner just made the agreement. It probably takes a few months to get things reviewed, discussed, scheduled, etc. And I would think they would have to work through discovering which titles were still with Paramount, Olive or Criterion. The fact that we're getting the first new titles in April/May from the Warner/Paramount deal is pretty impressive, IMO.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Gatsby was originally to be released by Paramount last year but was postponed because the new version was also delayed. Olive released....the Preminger films on Blu..Jerry Lewis films on Blu...Sterile Cuckoo...Slender Thread...Crack in the World..Who's Got the Action? Come Blow Your Horn..A New Leaf all on Blu Ray. Warner relegates these type of catalog titles to their MOD Archives....... Hence my concern...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by kagemusha98
Gatsby was originally to be released by Paramount last year but was postponed because the new version was also delayed.
Olive released....the Preminger films on Blu..Jerry Lewis films on Blu...Sterile Cuckoo...Slender Thread...Crack in the World..Who's Got the Action?
Come Blow Your Horn..A New Leaf all on Blu Ray. Warner relegates these type of catalog titles to their MOD Archives.......
Hence my concern...
Are you really concern or just impatient with the slow pace of releases?

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes Robert...I'm impatient. I guess I want the first group announced.... When the first Blu Rays from the archive GYPSY and DEATHTRAP were released I was excited....but now 2 months later one title..Hudsucker Proxy. In the meanwhile FOX has picked up the gauntlet has been very prolific of late in releasing classics on Blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by kagemusha98
Yes Robert...I'm impatient. I guess I want the first group announced....
When the first Blu Rays from the archive GYPSY and DEATHTRAP were released I was excited....but now 2 months later one title..Hudsucker Proxy.
In the meanwhile FOX has picked up the gauntlet has been very prolific of late in releasing classics on Blu.
I can understand your impatience as I share some of it with you. However, don't expect Warner to release Paramount titles at the pace Olive is currently doing so. Warner has different standards PQ-wise and a much different business/marketing strategy than Olive. Hopefully, the release pace will pick up as the weather gets warmer.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I can understand your impatience as I share some of it with you. However, don't expect Warner to release Paramount titles at the pace Olive is currently doing so. Warner has different standards PQ-wise and a much different business/marketing strategy than Olive. Hopefully, the release pace will pick up as the weather gets warmer.
Ain't that the truth. I watched "Union Station" out of Olives Film Noir collection last night. It was watchable, but it was far from what we've seen transfer wise from Warner or Criterion. Forget about inky blacks in the night scenes.
Has any Olive release been a knock out of the park? They all seem simply "fine" as opposed to "stunning".

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Twilight's Last Gleaming was stunning, but that's because Bavaria restored it themselves Some of the Paramount films Olive released looked great (i.e. some of the Jerry Lewis's like It's Only Money and Rock-a-Bye Baby), which isn't too surprising given Paramount may have prepped some for blu-ray. However, few of the Republic releases can be considered benchmark in comparison.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I too am a bit disappointed with the slow pace of Paramount releases particularly their VistaVision titles.The best Olive title I have is Geisha Boy and I was hoping that they would release more of their VistaVision titles that have not previously been released on home video (eg Hells Island).

Presumably Warners now have the higher profile titles and I am hoping for quality releases of High Society (MGM), The Court Jester, Gunfight at the OK Corral, Artists & Models and Pardners.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I'm hoping Warner finds a way to release Hondo in 3D Blu as well as Friday the 13th Part 3-D in real 3D and not the red/blu glasses that we currently have. Those are my top two Warner wish list blu. Otherwise I simply want 16:9 upgrades for these films. I truly don't care if they are MOD dvd or blu. I just want a region 1 16:9. I have purchased many of these in other regions but really am not a fan of pal speedup.

Warner, please consider 16:9 upgrades for these titles....
Breakdown, Golden Child, Snake Eyes, Ghost and the Darkness, Private Parts, Sliding Doors, and any other non-anamorphic disc that Paramount previously issued.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Mark,do you mean the 1972 Paul Bartel film PRIVATE PARTS? I'd love to buy that one in Blu-ray!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Paramount has added TWO classic titles for release on June 4th via their Warner distribution deal announced today..."Shane" AND "The Odd Couple"...there are separate threads for both the release announcement and the controversy regarding the planned release of "Shane" in 1.66:1 aspect ratio elsewhere on this subforum...just thought everyone would like to know!!! ;)

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Does anyone know if Warner will be releasing "Funny Face" (1957) on Blu-ray now that they've acquired some of Paramount's catalog titles? Paramount already released the Blu-ray in Region 2, but those of us in Region 1 are still waiting.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I enjoyed Half a Sixpence, but there are others I'd rather have. Finian's Rainbow and Bells Are Ringing are among the Warners, and in others we still are awaiting the remaining Rodgers & Hammerstein shows (all Fox except for Flower Drum Song at Universal), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Oliver!, and Sweet Charity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks