What's new

Newest Sneak Peek! (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The definition of midnight is not wrong. The day may be incorrect, but the midnight definition is not. I think if he had said Friday at midnight though, there would be a lot of people who wouldn't look until midnight Saturday as culturally we think of "night" as part of the prior day, even though it changes to the new day after 11:59:59PM.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
John,
Not to beat a dead horse, but Thursday at midnight means Thursday at 12:00am, which, technically, was a while ago :) His definition is wrong. I wasn't splitting midnight and the day, rather his definition of date/time...
No worries, we just wait until Friday at 12:01am to log on and start reading whatever he reviews {please be AOTC :))

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Fair enough Vickie. I've yet to see it, so I'll give it a rental.
It's one of my favourite '90s movies, too. Out of Sight rocks. I tried to see it in theatres a second time, but it only lasted like a week and a half.

Brilliant Elliot Davis photography, brilliant David Holmes score, nutty Scott Frank script, knockout editing by Anne V. Coates (nominated for an Oscar), great sound (I think Larry Blake was involved...?), a cast oviously having a great time, and just the right touch of artsy-fluff from Soderbergh. If you liked Ocean's 11, imagine the same kind of film with a tighter story and (IMO) better tech.

I had a giant grin on my face from start to finish.

"Hey, you guys wanna hear a funny story?"

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
WOW! This must be a good flick. Looks like it will make for a nice weekend rental.
Peace Out~:D

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
With respect to midnight, it is at the end of the day, not at the beginning as in "You must be home by midnight". Ron got it right say Thursday midnight if he meant by 1 second after Thursday 11:59:59 pm (23:59:59 for 24h people), which he seems to have meant. Midnight of a specific day means at the end of that day and the beginning of the next.

Chuck Anstey

Eric C D

Second Unit
If Paul pleads for it to be AOTC, he must have a fear it won't be...
And I'm sure some others have the same want, and therefore the same fear....
Then my guess is that we add them together to get the Sum of All (our) Fears. ;)
Hey, it he's gonna tease, then we should get to play with it.
Eric

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
OK, this review will be coming up within the next 4 hours right? Ron, you definitely have my attention.
Oh, I also like those police sirens on the Home Theater Forum home page announcing the approach of the review. They definitely tend to grab your attention. ;)
Carlos

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, but I don't think the review is going to be for Ep2. I'm thinking it will be the first review for The Crocodile Hunter movie ;)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Something that I notice the more I watch Episode 1, is that it appears that not only were the CGI effects/characters digitally placed into scenes with actors, but it looks to me like Actors have been digitally placed into scenes with other Actors?!?

Some scenes it really jumps out, when you can see where the dimensions in perspective just don't quite match up. No wonder much of the acting is so wooden in TPM.. If different actors were doing the same scene at completely different times and being spliced together, there is no interplay between them at all. Very often in TPM you can tell that the actors in a scene are just not talking to each other.. It's like they see right through each other, and you can tell that they were talking to nothing as they were being filmed.

I don't recall this being covered in the supplements, but I only skimmed throught them once a long time ago. I know that they mentioned how the actors were intercut with the CGI elements, but I don't recall them mentioning that the actual performances were often seperate and intercut in the end.

Not a good way to film IMHO. I can understand the adding of effects into shots after the fact, but this intercutting of separate acting performances just does not work for me.

Actors have got to play off of each other or off of something.

Anyway, I can't wait for the Episode 2 review tonight.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Something that I notice the more I watch Episode 1, is that it appears that not only were the CGI effects/characters digitally placed into scenes with actors, but it looks to me like Actors have been digitally placed into scenes with other Actors?!?

Watch the documentary, you'll see them do just that.

"Liam really hit it on take five, but Ewan was best on take seven. So we'll take both, put them into take 15, and move this other guy over here, just for fun."

Dion

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Lucas would often splice takes together. So you might have, say, Liam Neeson from one take and Obi-Wan from another take in the same shot. Other times he'd re-synch the actors to improve the timing. Either way, both actors were together on the set, not shot individually.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
If it's not AOTC, I'll be very disappointed. I'm getting worried it isn't. Ron said it wasn't necessarily AOTC. :frowning:

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, lookie there. It is AOTC. And a big thumbs up from Ron too. If he's correct about this one, I may just forgive him for his Grinch review. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great review - thanks Ron!

BTW - did you see it on a DLP Projector?

Also, whom did you like best Obi-Wan, Anakin, Dooku?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm impressed. Of course Ron will understand if I would like to hear this good news from a few other places.
I will say that I am not surprised that the Jango/Obi battle is a highlight. Even from the trailers and a treatment I have read I felt this would be one of the great scenes from the film.
I sure hope that in a few weeks I'm agreeing with Ron. Nothing would make me happier since I always love a great film.
But for now I'm taking it with a small grain of salt, with hope building. :)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Since Ron's revised, non-pc review of TPM falls in line with my sentiments of that film, his review and acclaim for AOTC resuscitates my excitement for Star Wars.

Just curious...I've not followed much of the pre-release hype - how widespread will digital viewings be in the US? Any here in the Twin Cities, MN?

Also, Ron...I was glad to see GL Redeemed. How about Anakin redeemed? Does Hayden reinvigorate the character that was botched by the kid? I like the performances of the other principals reprising their roles, but have no idea about Hayden. Appreciate any thoughts.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Peter, there are not very many digital showings, as there are only about 3 dozen theaters with digital projection. So I don't expect there to be widespread digital showings.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Shoot. Thanks for the info, Terrell. Save me mucho time in searching for a digital showing. I remember reading during the nascent stages of TPM that GL's vision was to eventually show SW2 digitally on a much more widespread basis.

Sounds like this vision was held up a little. Doesn't matter all that much...the story always takes preeminence and sounds like the story in this one will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks