What's new

Newbie: DirecTv or Dish; each with Tivo or Replay? (1 Viewer)

Thad_C

Agent
Ok, forgive me if this has been discussed ad absurdum, but I'm new to the satelite world, and am considering a jump from AT&T "Digital" cable to either DirecTv or Dish. I'm hoping for the typical handful of HBO channels, and will be upgrading to an HDTV in the fall of 2002. I've also heard second-hand about the joys of Tivo, and am looking forward to experiencing such happiness myself. I currently pay around $60 per month for AT&T's HBO package and would prefer to keep it around that rate (excluding the cost of acquiring Tivo hardware, etc.)
So what is the better buy for me: DirectTv or Dish Network?
Tivo or Replay?
BTW, I have an Onkyo 797. Are movies and tv channels offered in Dolby Digital sound through satellite?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Thad
:)

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Are you looking for seperate Tivo/replay. You can get Dish or direct TV with digital hard disk capabilities. I have heard that normal DHD don't work on satallite. I am not sure if that is true or not.

Also, I think that you have to get seperate receivers. One for HDTV content and one for normal channels.

As for DD and DTS capabilities, as long as you get the right satallite receiver, you are in luck. Normal Tv channels aren't in either but movie channels are. As well as PPV.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I have DirecTivo. The best thing about this gadget is that it records the digital signal, then decodes it when you want to play it back. There is no loss of quality whatever when you record and playback. With 2 input lines you can record 2 different programs at once.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just adding a little more to what Larry said. DirecTV's digital recorders have dual tuners (record two shows at the same time) where Dish's recorder (PVR501) has a single tuner. Also the PVR501 is more like a digital VCR. It records based on time. You set up a weekly recording at 8:00pm on Tuesdays. It always records at that time. With Tivo (stand alone and DirecTivos) it records based on the show. If your show moves from Tuesdays at 8:00pm to Wednesdays at 9:00pm, you don't have to reset anything. It will record. It has a two hour special, it gets both hours.

-Robert

Thad_C

Agent
I'm probably leaning towards the DirecTivo option for the reasons identified above. I was shocked to learn that the HDTV receivers are so expensive. I'll probably just go with the non-hdtv receivers and suck-it-up and buy one a few years from now when the prices come down.

Any suggestions on getting the best deal for purchasing the hardware and getting DirecTivo installed? I'm in the Chicago area if that makes any difference. Thanks for the terrific responses thus far! Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks