What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Mask (1961): THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Ignatius said:
Are the Vorkapich montage films in the extras presented in HD? 3-D titles tend to be a low priority for me since I'll likely never own the right equipment (or know anyone who does) but I'd happily buy this just to get the Vorkapich shorts in high-def.

I know Bob answered your question on the Vorkapich films, but one thing to keep in mind with this given 3-D bluray is the anaglyphic 3-D segments are also included as an extra feature, so one only needs cheap anaglyph 3d glasses for those. While the discrete 3-D bluray version is the obvious and best viewing option for those with 3-D capabilities, the newly restored anaglyphic sections on the bluray are better than all previous anaglyphic versions, including the original dye transfer technicolor anaglyphic prints.

For the cost of some very cheap 3-D glasses (or if you already have a pair red/cyan glasses) this 3-D bluray is viewable in 3-D by anyone.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Ron, like you I truly love 3D. Always have, always will. That's why my HT is set up to run 3D from both Blu Ray and 35mm film sources. Since I use a silver screen I can project polarized 35mm film from the 80's offerings that were released on both the over/under and side by side single strip film format. I've purchased every 3D restored title released to date on Blu Ray and will continue to support the fantastic job being done by geniuses like Bob Furmanek and his crew.

I realize 3D isn't for everyone but I'm grateful that we are being afforded the opportunity to both own and project 3D classics that otherwise would be impossible to enjoy.

Long live 3D!!!

Ignatius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hayden Frost
GregK said:
For the cost of some very cheap 3-D glasses (or if you already have a pair red/cyan glasses) this 3-D bluray is viewable in 3-D by anyone.

I know, and given that the film has only been screened until now in anaglyph form it's a perfectly legitimate way to watch it, but I'll still feel as though I'm missing out without the option to view the discrete 3-D version. I'll just have to track down someone with the right equipment and suggest a movie night.

GregK

Screenwriter
That's a good call and if you can do so I highly recommend it. For me it was VERY pleasant upgrade to finally see this discretely, especially after seeing this only in anaglyph form over the decades.

xforestx

Auditioning
Real Name
Forest
DVD it is for me! I was really wanting to see this for a long time, didn't get around to it, then totally forgot about it. So, thanks for reminding me about it.

Anyone know how many glasses come with the DVD?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Only one. I'd have rather paid an additional five bucks for the DVD and received two pairs of the glasses.

GregK

Screenwriter
Jobla said:
Only one. I'd have rather paid an additional five bucks for the DVD and received two pairs of the glasses.

Given Kino only charges $3 for an extra replicated Mystic Mask viewer, you are two bucks richer! :3dglasses:

erik coulombe

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik

I was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to get for great 3D home viewing. I just got a maranz 8801 with 3D and 4 K pass though what ever that means. I have no components or 3 D monitors. If some one could tell me models to get, id be grateful. I want at least a 60 inch TV with the curved screen, I was told its the best you can get for 3D and motion. Any pro audio video geeks out there????

erik coulombe

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
Oh sorry to be so rude, My name is Erik Coulombe. I am 47 and live in the north east of New Hampshire. Ive been an addict to home theater for 19 years now. Started with a 5.1 like most, and used it religiously for 3 years. I then got real busy with my work and family and sold my equipment.Ive always tinkered with cheap surround sound ,like for my computer since I sold my( what I thought was a top of the line system) For the last year or so I been trying to build my dream system. I had been out of the loop of home systems for so long, I ended up just mismatching component's and speakers. I got an older Onkyo 818-7.2 AV receiver,and I thought I had the mega power unit. It dint take me long after researching Updated home systems, that I really had junk. I got some older Klipsch icon towers with some kind of ridged nylon drivers. Those speakers did crank. To finish my great Frankenstein system I got Wood Icon surrounds and some in ceiling speakercraft speakers, and a 200 buck 12 inch sub. I played with it for about a year,but the more I looked online the more wanting I got for super high end stuff. I have champagne taste on beer means. Any ways I got super lucky ,and placed a give best offer on a sweet Maranz 8802 pre amp brand new with 3 year warranty. I gave a price I thought for sure would not be accepted. The prices vary on where you look, but ive never seen it for less than 1999 and other places 2500. Its original price just last year before the new model the 8802B was 3599.00. Long story short I gave a bid for 1,199.00 he accepted it 30 mins later. I thought he made a mistake, so I emailed him, but he said yep you got it for 1199. boing I was crazy happy. He has 1 left and he is a authorized seller of them,give 3 year warranty + 210 dollar gift certificate off anything else in his store. So now im hunting for an AMP. I want a XPA-5 from Emotiva and im trying to find a sherbourn PA-150-7 A It was there last amp they made before selling to emotive,,,,,AND I ALWAYS WANTED ONE. I know the 8801 isn't the greatest pre amp in the world,,but for me its better than the best in the world. I never thought id be able to afford one, god must realy feel sorry for me,,or love me. so if anyone can help me find those amps,and help me to know how to build 3d viewing and sound id be very grateful. AND Thank you for reading.Oh I got Klipsch Mains THX speakers for my final system, Im saving for Rll 650s for the surrounds klipsch ks 7200s ceiling speakers for the front high and back surround. Then ill save for the center sub,and front wide. YES Im going 11.1 baby

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had a very good time with The Mask tonight. The picture has been gorgeously restored (the 2D majority of the film really looked amazing), and the 3D was a lot of fun. And I got a couple of chills down my spine with the combination of the visuals with that electronic music making everything so eerie.

Great job, guys! I watched the interview segment in the bonuses, but didn't have time to watch the other material. Look forward to watching it later when time permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks