What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Others (2001) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2vsUrUwC5Ehh8fQ4dBnkbMkVDEwOEg_large.jpg
A remote manor; hushed, candlelit atmosphere; and shivery, supernatural menace. With his first English-language feature, Chilean Spanish writer-director-composer Alejandro Amenábar resurrected the classic gothic chiller to create a ghost story of uncommon emotional resonance. Nicole Kidman stars as a World War II–era mother whose imperiousness masks a terrifying pain, as she keeps her light-sensitive children enshrouded in darkness on her country estate. The arrival of three new servants punctures her insular world—and seems to disturb the balance between the living and the dead. With each stunning twist and turn, Amenábar immerses us more deeply in a realm haunted not only by spirits but also by guilt, trauma, and repression.

FILM INFO​

• Spain
  • 104 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1195

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Alejandro Amenábar, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary featuring Amenábar
    • New conversation between Amenábar and film critic Pau Gómez
    • New making-of program featuring Amenábar, actors Nicole Kidman and Christopher Eccleston, and producer Fernando Bovaira
    • Archival programs about the film’s production, costume design, soundtrack, and visual effects, featuring interviews and footage recorded on the set
    • Audition footage of actors Alakina Mann and James Bentley and photography from the “Book of the Dead”
    • Seven deleted scenes
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by scholar Philip Horne

New cover by Greg Ruth

October 24, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I was pleasantly surprised when this was on their list of coming soon. I haven't seen it since the original 2-disc DVD release (I've seen sold that off) but I'm excited to get this and revisit it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I haven't seen this before. But I've seen two of Amenábar's other films -- Abre los ojos (the film that was remade as Vanilla Sky) and Agora -- and loved both of them. I'm in for this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't seen this before. But I've seen two of Amenábar's other films -- Abre los ojos (the film that was remade as Vanilla Sky) and Agora -- and loved both of them. I'm in for this.
My first viewing of this fine film was in a movie theater. I'm looking forward to upgrading my 2011 Blu-ray.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Good film but I can think of at least two other Amenabar films I would've preferred to have instead. Isn't StudioCanal supposed to be releasing this on UHD as well? With 4K being a region-free format, some of these Criterion picks sure are odd.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I would suggest that you steer clear of reviews and comments. Superb film.
My bit of funny personal trivia is that I had the movie wrongly spoiled to me. So I went into the movie thinking it was going to go one way, and then when it went another way I was pleasantly (and literally) surprised.

Anyway, great film. Looking forward to buying this new version with Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks