What's new

It Came From Outer Space: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I picked up my copy at the BB brick and mortar on Tuesday, watched it on Wednesday. Beautiful image, depth of field is outstanding, only about 2 "pop out" scenes, but overall great. I've mentioned it before, but I think my OLED does 3D better than your standard 1080p or even non OLED 4K. Bob Furmanek, is there any technical reason that might back up my impression?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You're hearing the original stereophonic mix as heard theatrically in 1953. The previous DVD release was a heavily modified and compressed re-mix.

There's more information in this article by Greg Kintz: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/it-s-in-the-mix

In addition, for the first time in 63 years, people are seeing IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE with the original intermission card. It's created some confusion as to why a short film would require a break so I've updated the 3-D Myths page with the answer. Please share! http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths
Nice articles! How did I miss reading them the afternoon I spent reading almost everything else on your site?

Yes, I know about the two mixes (my comments aren't really clear on that are they?) and knew going in the dynamic range was going to be significantly wider than other films from that era. In spite of that, and comments others have made, I was unprepared for just how large the extremes actually are on this release. I was also unclear in that I'd like to have seen that remixed, compressed, audio track from the original Universal release as a *option* to the original, restored, stereo track, *not* instead of, so you could select either based on your individual likes and situation.

I've also attempted, several times, to adjust my player for limiting the DR of movies with absolutely zero luck. The DRC is "maxed out" but I can't hear a difference whether it's full on or off. In fact, since the range is so great with this title I used it to do more testing. As far as I can tell the setting has no effect. My TV has no such control. I've considered switching from HDMI to component cables to see if *that's* what it takes but I had it connected that way for a few weeks when I first got the set and don't recall it working that way either. Every player I've owned, DVD or BR, has had this control/setting and I don't recall any of them working, or at least working the way *I'd* expect.

I've been considering a external amp for the sole purpose of using headphones for late night viewings (a frequent occurrence) and films like this so my wife won't complain about the sound levels.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) Blu-ray arrived in today's mail, just in time for the long weekend! I'm looking forward to giving this beautifully done restoration, courtesy of Bob Furmanek and Greg Kintz, a viewing!

For those who are still wondering, no there isn't a reversible cover art option, and that's just fine by me, as it's the disc content that counts, in my opinion!

CHEERS!
icon_smile.gif
Our long INTERNational Nightmare is over! :dance::banana::dancing-banana-04::dance::rock::3dglasses:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I am happy to report that my Best Buy store sold out of all 6 copies on street date! Sadly, I was not able to snag one of them, but there are supposed to be more on the way!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So... Last night I rip open my copy but there are no 3D glasses!?!?! No matter... I grab a pair from my Three Stooges Volume 7 set, put the disc in the player, put on the glasses for a 3D experience. Hmmm.... it's kind of flat looking. Not much 3D... Oh well, it *looks* good anyway...

JUST KIDDING!!!

I *did* watch the 2D version as I'm not set up for 3D and as I tend to have issues with the process (eye problem) am not likely to install the equipment in the future. But that 2D image is spectacular! I pulled out my old Universal DVD to compare... just because. While the DVD looks very good it *does* have quite a bit of film anomalies present. Sparkles, occasional fine lines, "smears" from being cleaned, etc. Honestly most are "unnoticeable" to people who watch lots of film as that stuff simply disappears to your eye unless someone mentions it (like someone telling you *Don't think about elephants* so you do) or there's a large amount, and there just isn't on the old DVD. BUT I saw *none* of that on the new Blu-ray edition! It looks like it could have been shot yesterday!

This next part is hard..

I didn't like the newly remastered audio track. Hear me out before you scream "Heathen!"... I've *never* been a fan of huge swings in dynamic range in films or TV programs and very much dislike "surround" sound for them as well. It's one of the things that keeps me out of theaters. This one has some of the largest differences from soft to loud that I believe I've ever heard. When I turned up my set enough to hear dialog well, the louder music, explosions, zings, and other sfx would often be so loud you could hear them *clearly* 3-4 rooms away! When the volume was set so those loud sections wouldn't "blow your hair back," I had to watch with subtitles enabled to know what was being said. I have no sound system connected (for the same reason cited above), which *might* have been able to help if those loud sounds come from any but the front channels. Other than that quibble the audio is quite good. It's clean with no noise of any kind that doesn't belong.

In contrast the DVD is "plain old" stereo sound but has a superb mix - at least for me. Dialog is up front, easy to hear, and music/sfx don't blow you out of the room. I much prefer that track. Why, oh why, couldn't it, too, have been included in remastered/cleaned up form on the new 3D edition? To have a superbly remastered visual and a soundtrack I can listen to would be a wondrous thing! Sadly, I don't see myself watching this version much, all due to the soundtrack, and that's a shame.
Regarding the audio, I do hear you....sort of!

I'm thinking that between the inclusion of the 2-D and 3-D versions of the film, plus the original uncompressed 3 track stereo audio, without actually having checked on my PC, this could be taking up fairly close to the maximum disc space*, plus there could be audio sync issues involved, even beyond the brief intermission that isn't included on the 2002 DVD version.

That said, I am quite thankful that English subtitles are included to help cover for the volume differentials. For me however, the Aspect Ratio reigns supreme, in this case. Believe it or not, last night's IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) viewing was my first, and I find it difficult to imagine viewing this cropped. I agree with Bob Furmanek that going with with the original intended 1.37:1 was the right way to go. Apart from my not being equipped for 3-D viewing, it certainly looks right to my eyes, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: * Upon checking, I did find the ICFOS Stream Folder contains a total of 46.9 GB of video files. For those who also like to check such things, I should note that my Blu-ray drive displays as 28.5 GB! Odd!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We are going to watch it tonight in celebration of my 65th birthday.
Congrats, Terry! You can apply for SS and watch this movie all on the same day (you're nearly two years younger than I). Happy Birthday, man.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just watched this last night. What an astronomical improvement over the anaglyph version, which I saw on a double bill with CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON back in the 70's. I have a temperamental Panny Plasma and was aware of some minor ghosting in the darker scenes on this new release, but it wasn't a big deal. That aside, the image is gorgeous, the 3D superlative, and the sound magnificent (there, I can put away my thesaurus now). And, oh, what a babe Ms. Rush was here, albeit in an underwritten role.

Flaws and all, I still consider the Universal 3D release of CREATURE to be outstanding also, and it has a lot more forward dimensional effects. Now, finally owning ICFOS as a companion film, I can recreate the double-feature I saw at the now-long-gone Empire Theater in Lewiston, Maine, but looking and sounding a thousand times better. Maybe in a year or so I can run a Universal/Jack Arnold/3D triple feature which also includes REVENGE OF THE CREATURE! What's not to like about home theater and 3D Blu-ray?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Hi!
We enjoyed the movie immensely. Of course while technically supurbe you can't overlook its faults. The first appearance of the false Ellen on the hill in a breeze in her evening gown has always been hilarious to me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hi!
We enjoyed the movie immensely. Of course while technically supurbe you can't overlook its faults. The first appearance of the false Ellen on the hill in a breeze in her evening gown has always been hilarious to me.
How is that a fault? Any shot of Barbara Rush in an evening gown in a breeze can't be all bad! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How is that a fault? Any shot of Barbara Rush in an evening gown in a breeze can't be all bad! :)

You have to admit that in the context of the plot, which is supposed to be so serious at that point, her fancy outfit and com-hither glance is truly ridiculous! I am not criticizing the movie, I have great affection for it, but this scene has always caused me to gaffa, and I am not the only one.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You have to admit that in the context of the plot, which is supposed to be so serious at that point, her fancy outfit and com-hither glance is truly ridiculous! I am not criticizing the movie, I have great affection for it, but this scene has always caused me to gaffa, and I am not the only one.

You're the only one I've ever heard that from. Makes perfect sense to me.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I was wondering how uncomfortable R Carlson was running around in 90+ degree Arizona in such a heavy looking suit

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It Came From Outer Space was partially filmed on location in Palmdale and Victorville, California, and in the surrounding Mojave Desert, not in Arizona. I'm not sure what time of year it was when they shot the outdoor sequences, but it gets pretty darned warm there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks