What's new

New Woof or not New Woof? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy M.

Auditioning
I have a Sony SE-VE315 satellite system which affords 100w per channel, and includes a base module with (2) 5" woofers, at 75w. I purchased years ago an Aiwa 60w 8" sub to compliment this systems predecesor. I've been using both woofers, and I'm wondering if I'm not getting all the quality in the base that I could be.

I was thinking of purchasing a new 10" or 12" sub to replace one or both of the existing subs (and selling them or some such). Anywho, I have no idea whether this is a good idea or whether I'm chasing after something that I don't need or is out of my price range.

Any input would be appreciated!

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
I think the aiwa sub is more of a shelf system component- not the best to use for HT.

I know sony makes a sub under $100 (available at best buy, chain stores, etc.) thats a good compliment to their speaker systems, though I've never heard it, so I couldn't say how well it performs. You might also try best buy or circuit city for a KLH or other budget powered sub for your system. I've seen good quality subs for under $200, depending how much you want to spend.

Theres also the for sale forum and used subwoofer page, though you mght not find too many budget prices. Almost any black box with an amp and quality woofer should make an improvement over the aiwa.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jeremy;

I'm willing to bet that if you invested some money in another sub, you could end up with something a lot better than what you have now.

The Sony sub Michael mentioned (model number SA-WM40) would be a good bet if you're not thinking of spending a lot of money.

How much do you want to spend?

Jeremy M.

Auditioning
When I came up with this whole issue, I really wasn't looking to spend a whole lot. I just saw in an add that a 10" 120w woofer could be had for a shade over $100, so probably about $100-200.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
In that case, you're best bet would be to spend the extra money and get the Sony sub. You could get that 10" 120w sub, but I doubt it would be a significant improvement over what you have now. Trust me, I had such a sub and it only provided slightly louder bass.

If you really want the best you can get at that budget the Sony SA-WM40 is really the best bet for you.

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
After re-reading your original post, and thinking more about it, I understood you mention you are using both the sony sub provided with the system, and the aiwa sub in addition to it.

I thought I might add that before you spend any money, you might consider completely disconnecting the aiwa and after making sure the sony sub is set correctly (connections, levels, crossovers, etc), and it works, position the sub in different locations throughout the room and see if there is any improvement. My guess is the bass module is just a passive one, so there wouldnt be any cable or connector issues like a powered sub.

You can also use the age-old method of setting the sub in the listening location (where you would be in the room when listening to your HT) and then walking around the room to find the location where the bass is loudest/clearest. Thats where you should place the sub.

I suggest this because I thought your subs might be cancelling each other out or you're getting some kind of similar effect having two subs connected to one receiver.

If all else fails, just go for it and get the sony sub at best buy (thanks to Jeffrey for the model number), or the KLH might be good as well. You can also check prices at online stores since you now have a model number for the sony, if thats what you think you want to go with.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a thought: Run the sub that came with the system or the Aiwa via speaker level, and x-over the mains through it. Then, get the SA-WM40 and run it off the sub out. This will give you more midrange from the mains and much more oomph on the low end with the WM40. If either of these subs is passive, this will strain your receiver a little more, but should give you better sound. You want to use the smaller of the two subs, which would be the one that came with the 315, because you will still want to set your mains as small, otherwise you will overlap the WM40.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I agree with John. That Sony satellite was probably designed to be used with the bass module. Most likely it is covering a much higher range than a true sub will. (Up to 250hz). Keep the sony module to help fill in that gap, and get the WM40 to add more true bass.
Sell the Awia. Their subs act more like a woofer would from a larger bookshelf speaker than a sub.

Jeff James

Agent
Check ebay and see what they are going for and adjust accordingly...the Sony sub mentioned here was impressive to me for the cheap price...I went with something a little more pricey but I don't consider it high-end. What I have seems to work well with my room (JBL PB10)...just gotta figure out how to move the damn thing :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks