What's new

2 Receivers or 1...for Atmos (5 Viewers)

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Well. Hard to say for certain but Dolby does have a recommendation of at least 1.2 meters away. So let's start with that.

It seems the person above disagrees with Dolby specifications of the angles for atmos speakers. And 99% of feedback I've seen to date has people raving that those angles work best! 🤔

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
So, how far away should they be? In my book, as far as they can be, within reason.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I have experimented a little bit with pulling the sofa away from the wall (first day 2 whole feet), had the surround sound playing and it was good. The next day I moved the sofa about a half foot closer to the wall (for a total distance of just a little over 1 foot away from the wall)...the surround sound was pretty much the same. We actually heard it better because were were sitting closer to the rear speakers. I suppose the further away from those surrounds (and rear surrounds) you're sitting, the more volume you want them to produce...so they reach you.

Well. Hard to say for certain but Dolby does have a recommendation of at least 1.2 meters away. So let's start with that.
Thank you. Yes, a good place to start.

On a slightly different note, I am leaning towards setting up our room to work both for Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D. These guys convinced me it would be the best of both worlds (and that both Dolby and the Auro 3D people agree to meet halfway with speaker setups).....

.....I think the main thing I'm wondering is with the Voice of God (center ceiling) speaker (for Auro 3D)...which channel should feed that from the AVR? And would you guys agree that placing Auro 3D speakers (2 above the screen at the far wall...pointing down and 2 at the rear wall/ceiling pointing down) would be a speaker setup that would work for both Atmos and Auro 3D? (As opposed to putting speakers into the ceiling, or mounted to the ceiling as per regular Atmos setups?)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Reading and watching all this stuff can be a bad thing. They want views, and that doesn’t happen by not being controversial. You’re heading toward creating what I call a “Frankenstein” system. I think I already suggested sticking with an Atmos setup. I’m sticking with that recommendation.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
I don't touch auro 3d myself personally. Receiver doesn't support it and lack of content. Therefore no personal experience.

I stick with Dolby atmos.

If you do change seating position. Recalibrate the system for each time you do it. Was this done or not?

Last edited:

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I don't touch auro 3d myself personally. Receiver doesn't support it and lack of content. Therefore no personal experience.

I stick with Dolby atmos.

If you do change seating position. Recalibrate the system for each time you do it. Was this done or not?
From what I have seen in the testimonials of Atmos vs Auro 3D, the content itself doesn't need to be mixed in Auro 3D, as long as the AVR supports it, you can switch back and forth. By doing a simple YT search you'll find quite a few examples of people switching back and forth showcasing the differences. There are several testimonies (filmed and posted on YT) where during action sequences...that are mixed in Atmos...where you'd expect to hear overhead activity, the height speakers are completely silent, then they switch the AVR to Auro 3D and the "right" sound comes through the height speakers. (The confusing point for me in this is...do you A/B test everything you watch...as you're watching it...to determine which format sounds better? Heh.)

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Regarding Motorized Lens Shift. If I setup my screen to be adjustable (to go back and forth from 1.40:1 to 1.35:1 to 16:9...either by using black curtains on the sides/top/bottom...or some other way) would it still be helpful/needed to get a projector with motorized lens shift?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you want to use a 2.4:1 screen (or really any screen wider than 16x9) and go w/ a CIH setup, you will most likelly need a PJ w/ motorized lens control (and memory) because you will be zooming the lens between the various aspect ratios to maintain CIH (and will likely need some shifting and probably also refocusing, if slight, because of that).

IF you just go w/ a 16x9 screen and forgo CIH, then you won't need to zoom the lens and can just rely solely on masking. That's because typical/standard video sources/content will already be formatted for 16x9 regardless of the AR of the actual images.

The issue is whether you need to zoom the lens between different ARs, which is usually needed for more basic CIH setups -- there are other ways like using anamorphic lens and/or additional video processing, but those are more expensive and/or more complicated.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks