What's new

Hybrid System – Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I’m toying with idea of building out a separate signal path (separate from my Marantz preamp based HT System) for 2-Channel Music that uses a higher end DAC (but leverages the same front speakers and subwoofers). My HT system is new and since setup I’ve spent equal time watching movies vs listening to music. I enjoy both! I really have no issue with the music sound out of the Marantz but there is always that thought back-of-mind of maybe it would sound better on a higher end DAC.

I mostly listen to music via files on a PC (everything from mp3, ripped CDs up to high resolution FAC files and maybe in the future DSD).

Although there are other advantages - the main advantage would be to bypass the Marantz DAC and use a higher end 2-channel DAC for music.

I’m wondering if it will be worth it - and so I’m asking those folks who have done this if they feel it was worth it to them. Not from a cost perspective, but from a sound quality perspective. Do you hear a difference (better resolution hopefully)? Do you feel it was worth the added complexity it brings to the system?

Any other comments or discussion on the topic is welcome.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ve had a hybrid system for decades, using different methods. My hope now is to get a good enough preamp to eliminate it. The equipment I’m using now is no longer made.

There are a lot of different ways to do it, but using subs eliminates most options.

And yes, it can be worth doing, for me at least. It’s just silly to most people.

I think Cambridge makes a stereo preamp/DAC that can be integrated into your surround system.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I’ve had a hybrid system for decades, using different methods. My hope now is to get a good enough preamp to eliminate it. The equipment I’m using now is no longer made.

There are a lot of different ways to do it, but using subs eliminates most options.

And yes, it can be worth doing, for me at least. It’s just silly to most people.

I think Cambridge makes a stereo preamp/DAC that can be integrated into your surround system.

Good to hear it is worth it to you from a quality of sound perspective. I believe you had a thread on that recently - and you got a new HT/Preamp. Do you feel like you achieve your goal - that its good enough to not have a separate DAC for music?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks