What's new

New Subwoofer Tomorrow...SVS, opinions please (1 Viewer)

Daniel K

Grip
Real Name
Daniel Koll
I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR703 receiver and an Infinity Modulus 5.1 system. The subwoofer is a MSW-1, 12" with a BASH amp. Sub is C.M.M.D. and enclsoure is down firing. It sounds pretty good, can go fairly low and has good output. However, I have the chance to buy a SVS 20-39PCI for $300. What are your opinions? Will this blow my MSW-1 out of the water? I know the 20-39PCI can go flat to 20hz in most rooms, pretty impressive. It should also fit nicely in a corner. Any opinions would be great, thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm not familiar with your current sub, so I really can't compare them, but I know SVS makes one of the best. I have one of their cylinder subs myself, and absolutely love it. It was an outstanding addition to my system. Good luck!

Daniel K

Grip
Real Name
Daniel Koll
I got the sub on Saturday and am pretty pleased. I think suprisingly the Infinity has more output for music. However, the SVS during movies can hit the low transients better. I currently have my Infinity listed on Craigslist but am sad to see it possibly sell, especially since I still am using the matching speakers for my other 5 channels. I wish I still had my DB meter so I could do test frequencies and measure the difference between the two subs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Music - Don't let the "lack" of bass in music fool you. I'll bet you are used to bloated bass and the flat response of the SVS is really more accurate.

meter - A Radio Shack analog SPL meter is only $40 and well worth the expense. Using it in conjunction with the PEQ spreadsheet and some DIY test tones, you can easily plot the in-room response of the subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks