What's new

New guy questions about speakers/set-up (1 Viewer)

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I am just starting to get into HT. I am looking into setting up my first system. What I have in mind is something like this:

Receiver: Denon 3805
Fronts: Klipsch RB-35
Front center: Klipsch RC-35
Rear left and right: Jamo 10.521K4 (in ceiling)
Rear center: Jamo 10.5K4 (in ceiling)
Sub: SVS 20-39 PCi

The room that my system will be in is 15' wide and about 30'long. I will be sitting across the short dimension of the room. It is in my basement with 8' ceilings. I also will have a wet bar at one end of the long dimension and a pool table at the other end of the long side of the room. One last thing is that this will all be put into a built-in entertainment center. Face fronts around the TV (about a 51"-57"), and around the speakers. And cabinets on both sides of the TV with the speakers above the cabinets (eye level) and above the TV.

Remember guys, I am a total newbie so take it easy on me if something that I did is totally crazy. Thanks in advance for all the help.

P.S. I have a picture of the ET center, but don't have a clue as to how to post it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The speakers will be in the cabinet at eye level when seated or standing? Ideally, the speakers should be at ear/eye level when SEATED for movie/music listening. You can work around this by angling the speakers slightly down towards the listening position if they are above.

Nothing wrong with the Jamos, IMO. Matching surrounds is not as critical as matching mains. If you could get Klipsch in-walls for about the same price, the blend would obviously be better though, but I would say not to stress over it.

With built in cabinets, I strongly recommend you look at how you are going to connect all your gear, something that is often overlooked. It can be a pain in the butt when you need to hook up or swap out new gear.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I have had a chance to listen to the Jamos and the klipsch. I have not found any place to audition the klipsch in-walls. I am scared to put down any money if I can't hear them. If anyone knows of a good place in Minnesota to find speakers let me know! I only know of the big 3 (BB, CC, UE). Ultimate is the only place that carries anything besides the really cheap stuff. John, I don't quite know what you mean. Do you mean the cable routing? If that is the case, I have two options, drill through the cabinet or also I have access to the backside of the wall behind ET center. Thanks again guys.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back panel access solves connection problem I guess. I have seen enough built in systems that don't have back access nor have they taken into account airflow or even left the ability to route cables. The amount of cables I have behind my system would require quite a large hole...:D

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
In ceiling speakers are harder to get to work well. Not that it can't be done, I'm sure several people here have them and are happy with them. If that is your only option, I'd ask around for advice on how to make them work and sound good. I used them once in a similar situation to what you are describing and I was never happy with mine. The location was all wrong so the imaging was never right. Surround seemed to always come from above me instead of from around or behind me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have two friends building their homes right now, and both of them are in the same situation, and they are stuck with in ceiling.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help guys. What I am most concerend with is if all of the speakers match with the reciver and if they speakers are worth buying. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks