What's new

Thinking about two subs (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Hello all, I have the HT Bug again and it kills me that I left my Platinum Audio speakers and DIY subs in NY when we sold our house, but since I moved to VA, I just revamped my HT;
Old Setup:
Pioneer HTP-620DV (5 satellite speakers & sub only from Craig’s list)

Sony STRDH520 7.1 3D Receiver.

Sony KP-51WS520 Rear Projection HD TV w/HDMI

New Setup:
Front – Pioneer Floor Standing Speaker – SP-FS52
Center – Pioneer Center Channel - SP-C22
Surround – Pioneer Bookshelf – SP-BS22-LR
Surround Backs – 2 Satellite speakers from the HTP-620DV
Subwoofer – Polk Audio 10 inch Active Subwoofer – PSW 108

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 Channels, 4K & 3D pass through with Dolby Atmos

Sony XBR55X900C 4k LED thin TV with (HDR I believe).

Anyway, I noticed a lot of set ups that are 7.2 and I actually have the option and the means to get the second sub. The question is should I? The bass with the PSW 108 is doing very well, but I love some bass and fear that a second sub may be overkill. The setup is in the living room that is opened to the dining room and with very high ceilings. What do you guys think?

jgrateHT 1.jpg jgrateHTback wall.JPG

Last edited:

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"The bass with the PSW 108 is doing very well, but I love some bass and fear that a second sub may be overkill."

Where you planning on getting a second PSW 108 for your system?

Two 10" driver subs with the same response curve would help even out the sound levels a little - but if the system were correctly configured, I don't think you would end hearing much of a difference and it would just be a waist of money.

I would be more inclined to just replace the 1 10" sub with something that can reach lower and play louder. You still would have to match the sound levels to your current speakers - but at least you would bet a better frequency response in the lower registers than what you are currently running.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies. Martino, I see your point and Robert was there a significant difference when you added the second sub? Are both subs the same?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Two Subs it is. I picked up a second PSW108 and I must say, what a significant difference in the sound. I have them set to -6.5 db and the ground is shaking. WOW, I'm glad I made the move.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyway, I noticed a lot of set ups that are 7.2 and I actually have the option and the means to get the second sub. The question is should I? The bass with the PSW 108 is doing very well, but I love some bass and fear that a second sub may be overkill. The setup is in the living room that is opened to the dining room and with very high ceilings. What do you guys think?
Technically there is no such thing as .2. There is only one low frequency effects channel in the soundtrack. Your receiver has two outputs but are the individually controlled? Different volume and delay settings? If not then you are no different than me and my 50 cent Y adapter.

By doubling the cone area and power you are getting a 3db increase in output. If you put them beside each other or stacked them you would get upwards of 6db due to co-location (where they act as a single sub).

Don't think I am putting down your choice of dual subs - I'm not. I'm all for subwoofer overkill. I'm trying to figure out how to get a sub like this into my theater room.
674a4fb2-7000-4130-872f-b5d306981f82_zpsrleai29f.jpg

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
WOW!!!!!!!!!
You probably should place them in your local movie theater because subs that size, is the only place that can handle them.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm happy with the Polks and you said it regarding the increased volume.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Don't think I am putting down your choice of dual subs - I'm not. I'm all for subwoofer overkill. I'm trying to figure out how to get a sub like this into my theater room.

That's just awesome! I can only imagine how that would sound.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That design is just one of many I have been thinking about. Those are 21" drivers and I have a 21 would work well in one of those enclosures. I also have 5 18" drivers and 3 15" drivers (plus parts to build 4 more) so it's a tough decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks