What's new

Home theater/whiskey room in a loft space? Need help! (1 Viewer)

jswinsky1203

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Hey Guys,
I am currently building a new home and shooting myself in the foot for opting for a "loft" instead of a closed off media room. I have attached a diagram of the loft space in this thread. I will be putting in a 5.2.2 set up and wiring everything myself. My question is that there is about a 8' opening that opens to the 3 other bedrooms upstairs as well as the stairs to below...I am trying to find a clever way to either close that off...or just paint the "media room" a dark color but worried that it might look off.

Hopefully my diagram makes sense. On the right side will be a built in bar with a round table for seating, and over to the left will be a sectional couch. Eventually I will be adding atmos speakers to the ceiling as well.

Any one have any ideas or maybe I should position the room any differently?

Attachments

• Theater Room.png
    Theater Room.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 119

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Justin, and welcome to HTF!

Do you need to control sound leaving that area, or is it more about light control? That will be a major factor here

jswinsky1203

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Hi Justin, and welcome to HTF!

Do you need to control sound leaving that area, or is it more about light control? That will be a major factor here
I know that I will have issues with sound leaving, as well as light control. The space will have blackout blinds in all the windows and I was planning on having a blackout curtain to close the space off when watching movies to control the light.

Obviously I know the best solution would be to close that off with a wall and add a door, but the significant other likes the way the loft looks without the door so I am trying to get the best sound/light control, while keeping her happy haha.

Not sure if a heavy curtain to close that off when in use would help with the audio side of things...

I may end up just closing off the wall and adding a door down the road to get the best sound possible.

What would your thoughts be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks