What's new

Naked Lunch, anyone? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've heard not a mumble about Criterion's new 2-disc release of Cronenberg's "Naked Lunch". I found only one thread, an old one, that speculated about a release date. It's TODAY! unless I've been severely misled. Plans for a review around here?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My two cents-- it's AMAZING. I got it last week. Great GREAT transfer and the extras -- which I haven't had the time to pore through -- are terrific, including an hour-long BBC documentary on the the film and Burroughs. Really great.

There's an excellent review of this disc over at DVD Journal.

Incidentally, the documentary is not by the BBC, but is an edition of The South Bank Show on ITV (and a very good one at that).

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Indeed - not all UK shows are made by the BBC.

However, I'm really looking forward to Cronenberg's commentary and the South Bank Show documentary, which is one of the best I've ever come across. I posted this in another thread, but it's directed by Chris Rodley, the same man who put together the utterly brilliant A Very British Psycho, which deals with Leo Marks and Peeping Tom (on Criterion's disc).

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
This was the worst movie I have EVER seen... oh my goodness... please let no one I know buy this. :angry:

Seriously... I have painful memories of watching this horrible movie. So painful... however, it might have had alot to do with the timeframe in my life that I watched it. But I doubt it would change much today. Anyone else jsut think "Que?" when watching this movie?

Will K

Screenwriter
I thought Naked Lunch was wonderful. I loved it because it was so different than anything I had ever seen and it got me to read some Burroughs, which is like being on drugs without actually being on drugs!

Obviously, it's not everyone's cup of tea(or Mugwump juice), but what Cronenberg movie is?

I can't wait for Disney to buy the rights and make a big summer animated film. Imagine all those cute, wisecracking Mugwumps!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Sergio, you're right! I just skimmed through the documentary and, as I was in a hurry when I posted, didn't check. From what I can tell, it's still pretty darned good though.

I went to see this with a Burroughs devotee (who loved it) and a friend who didn't know anything about it. As we left the theater, the latter friend turned to me and said "that wasn't the Naked Gun I was expecting."

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
How did this fall off my radar?!? I've been dying to have this since DVD was released to the public! This was one of those DivX only titles as I recall...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I love Burroughs. Although heroin is one drug I have never tried - and never will try, but after reading Naked Lunch and seeing the movie, you won't have to anyway.

Can't wait to see it again soon.

Gordy

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I can think of two things wrong with that title. :)

C'mon, someone had to say it. :) I'm surprised it took this long.

Mike Levine

Agent
Real Name
Mike Levine
The Criterion packaging just keeps getting better. This release has great cover artwork and contains a beautifully printed and informative booklet.

MichaelBryant

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed a bit of flickering in the background which is not present on the Japanese DVD. It runs throughout the film from beginning to end and is more noticable in the dark scenes. Does anyone else see this? I'm just curious as to whether my disc is defective or if this flickering is maybe from the film elements.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the flickering you mention is present on my copy as well, so I guess it would be from the source materials. The transfer is director approved, so I guess this flickering isn't a problem.

Anyways, I've been through a few of the extras, and in typical Criterion fashion, they've gone above and beyond the call of duty. Great, great, great extras on this set, and I can't wait to check out the rest of them!

Will K

Screenwriter
I haven't checked out the extras yet, but this disc looks great! The image is crisp and the colors are bold. I forgot just how subversive this movie is. Hard to believe they got away with that sequence at the end with those "addicts" enslaved to Mugwump jism. Visually speaking, very provocative.

Didn't notice any flickering on my copy, incidentally.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Anyone else jsut think "Que?" when watching this movie?
It's David Cronenburg and William S. Burroughs.

A collaboration between these two auteurs, if you've any familiarity with their work, is probably the very last place on earth you should expect anything less than unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks