What's new

2-disc Cronenberg from Criterion! (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Many of us already know about this, but I thought I'd start a thread to boost awareness-

On November 11, David Cronenberg's NAKED LUNCH will street as a special edition 2-disc set, courtesy of the Criterion Collection. hopefully this will boost awareness of the film and Cronenberg, who is quite an interesting filmmaker.

dvd features:

*New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director David Cronenberg and enhanced for widescreen televisions
Audio commentary by Cronenberg and actor Peter Weller
Naked Making Lunch, a London Weekend Television documentary about the making of the film, directed by Chris Rodley
Illustrated essay about the special effects in Naked Lunch by the editor of Cinefex magazine, Jody Duncan, featuring artifacts from Cronenberg's archive
Film stills gallery
A collection of original marketing materials
William S. Burroughs' audio recording of excerpts from Naked Lunch
A collection of archival stills of William S. Burroughs from the Allen Ginsberg Trust
32-page booklet featuring essays by film critic Janet Maslin, Chris Rodley, Gary Indiana, and a piece by William S. Burroughs.

Now that I look at these extras, they seem kind of weak. I assume that documentary is damn long, because other than that the extras seem somewhat light. There's not much else besides Cronenberg's commentary and the usual badass booklet. That the dvd will be great is not my question, though. The question on the floor is, is this movie good? I've never seen it. Is it worth a blind buy? From what I hear, it isn't comparable to much else. I don't care what the movie's about, just that it's a piece of art worthy of watching several times. Can somebody talk about the writing, cinematography, etc? btw, has anyone actually seen this film? I don't know any people who've even heard of it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Its an excellent film, but is VERY weird, probably the weirdest film I've seen. This really turns a lot of people off to it, so its definitely not for everyone. Still, I'd say at least check it out, as I highly recommend any Cronenberg film. The man is a genius.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aww, I was hoping this thread was announcing Criterion's The Fly. ;)

This isn't one of my favorite Cronenbergs, but I agree that it's definitely worth seeing at least once. (Particularly if you've enjoyed the director's other works.)

Crazy stuff goes on here, and Peter Weller is damn good in it.

WillardK

Second Unit
It's a spiritually faithful (amazingly so) adaptation of an unfilmable novel. Read IT and you'll either love or hate the film accordingly.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Hype is one thing but please put the title of the film in the thread title so you don't waste people's time ...

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I loved Naked Lunch, I've been looking forward to this release ever since I saw the announcement. It is very strange, not the strangest ( I think that goes to Lost Highway, which needs a DVD!)
I will definitely be picking this up.:D

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, rich, for causing you to click on this thread, read it, waste your time, and then respond to it. But how else am I supposed to keep this thread alive? The thread title isn't misleading, it's just enticing. (Yes, I've done work in advertising. shoot me)

Really though, I apologize. I identify with your loss. This one time somebody posted a thread titled "(some movie, I forget) announced!!!" when it was actually a typo, the guy meant that the movie had been cancelled. You can imagine my disappointment. (hell of a typo!)

Anyway, I love creative films. It certainly doesn't sound like this one'll be cliche. I think I'l pick it up.

Oh, and that cover ROCKS.

Regrds,
Nathan

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the heads up, I forgot about this one...pre-ordering is the only way to get Criterions at a reasonable price in Canada, it seems, so hate to miss one I want. This is a weird movie based on a weird book written by a weird person...any more questions?:)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The documentary is 48 minutes long and is excellent.

Naked Lunch is a worthy film version of a landmark piece of literature. But it's not for everyones' tastes.

Good to see that Fast Company will be coming our way in 2004 from Blue Underground! Great times for Cronenberg fans! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Kenneth English

Second Unit
It's a spiritually faithful (amazingly so) adaptation of an unfilmable novel. Read IT and you'll either love or hate the film accordingly.
I tried to read the "novel" back in the 80s. Never have finished it. Cronenberg's film is excellent, however, and certainly true to the surrealism of Burroughs' prose. Makes a load more sense, too. An excellent film. Can't wait. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

"I don't know why people expect art to make sense when they accept the fact that life doesn't make sense." - David Lynch.

:D

Looking forward to this - another cracker from Criterion.

---
So many films, so little time...

Will K

Screenwriter
Aside from the Alien Quadrilogy and Indy Jones, this is the one I've been salivating over. Such a trippy movie and long overdue for DVD.

Besides, it brings back a lot of memories.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
The film has a lot more in common with Burroughs' autobiographical works than the book of the same name. Can't wait to get this one. The audio recordings of the man himself reading Naked Lunch should be a riot.:)

WillardK

Second Unit
The film has a lot more in common with Burroughs' autobiographical works than the book of the same name.
It goes all over the place really and is more of a tribute/adaptation than a literal translation. It's been a long time since I've seen it. As I remember it, I can't imagine getting much out of it if I hadn't read Burroughs or known about his life. Though I guess the smarts of the film is that it took on it's own themes in the biography/tribute while presenting those themes of the novels which don't completely translate visually on their own. Kind of babbling here... still not sure if I'll buy this one, but probably will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks