What's new

My Yearly WAC Predictions (1 Viewer)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Since we are trying to predict some of WAC's releases for the coming year, I should throw this thought out there. It seems like they have hinted at potential future releases with similar titles in the past. For a few quick examples, in 2017, they released Auntie Mame (which seemed to hint at Mame coming a year later) and The Sea Wolf (which, given its history, seemed to predict The Sea Hawk coming in late 2018), and in 2018, we got Two Weeks In Another Town (which seemed to predict the recent release of The Bad And The Beautiful). While it's obviously not a guarantee (especially since I noticed it and am throwing this out there), do we think any of last year's releases are hinting at what is to come this year? The closest I can think of (again, I'm just guessing here) would be Summer Stock predicting either The Pirate (although that seems unlikely given that George Feltenstein mentioned in the podcast on Summer Stock that that movie would have to sell for them to go forward on The Pirate, and the announcement of Summer Stock was not a well-received one) or For Me And My Gal, or another potential prediction might be Cleopatra Jones maybe predicting its sequel. Again, these are just my thoughts. Anyone else have any ideas?

More Thin Man films?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
More Thin Man films?
Or maybe just more William Powell/ Myrna Loy film, period. Possibly more Busby Berkeley. The only real problem there is what shape those films are in. I mean, according to RAH, all four 30s films we have gotten from WAC were "full restorations," and, given the gap of nearly four years between WAC's release of 42nd Street and any more films from that decade on Blu-ray, I do wonder about trying to predict anything more from that decade based on previous releases (I know that we know about Mystery Of The Wax Museum, but that seems more appropriate given its genre). Still, I wouldn't argue with more of the Thin Man film series!

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Ha, I wouldn't buy Captain Blood, but I'd buy They Died With Their Boots On, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Gentleman Jim & The Master of Ballantrae in a heartbeat.
???? Wouldn't buy Captain Blood ???? That makes No sense if you like all those other Errol Flynn films. CB is the movie that made him a star. I would Love some Errol Flynn Westerns on Bluray ! San Antonio and Montana in Technicolor especially !

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I really enjoyed all the Hanna-Barbera DVDs that were out in 2019...
Paw Paws
Jonny Quest (Blu-Ray)
Wally Gator
Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har
The Jetsons (Blu-Ray)

Therefore, I do hope WAC will continue to put out more new Hanna-Barbera releases on DVD and Blu-Ray this year!

~Ben
It's The Flintstones 60th Anniversary this year. Will they release the whole series on Bluray ? Or 1 season at a time I wonder. We shall see.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
It's The Flintstones 60th Anniversary this year. Will they release the whole series on Bluray ? Or 1 season at a time I wonder. We shall see.
Ultimately, I think the question of a complete series vs. individual season releases will depend on who releases it. If WHV, then chances are good for a complete series set. If WAC, then it is guaranteed to be individual seasons, with no hope of a complete series set, and I'll tell you why. So far, WAC's only multi-season complete series set is Teen Titans, a show that has five seasons (with about thirteen episodes each, if I am correct, so that one season can fit quite comfortably on one disc) and a movie, and that set is priced out at $47.99, which seems to be the MAXIMUM price over at wbshop, where WAC releases seem to be priced at MSRP (give or take). Flintstones, on the other hand, has about six seasons, each of which has enough episodes that will require 2-3 discs per season (again, if WAC is doing it, since they don't cram as much on one disc as WHV), and each season with a similar (or higher) episode count as either Jonny Quest or The Jetsons, each of which is priced at $29.99 on wbshop. Considering all that plus the fact that the much older Flintstones will probably require more work than the relatively recent Teen Titans, and there is no way WAC can produce a complete series set that would make money (again, their maximum price on wbshop for ANY WAC releases is $47.99). So, I would expect quality individual seasons from WAC, or a lesser quality (potentially) complete series release from WHV. At least, that's what I would see happening.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Ultimately, I think the question of a complete series vs. individual season releases will depend on who releases it. If WHV, then chances are good for a complete series set. If WAC, then it is guaranteed to be individual seasons, with no hope of a complete series set, and I'll tell you why. So far, WAC's only multi-season complete series set is Teen Titans, a show that has five seasons (with about thirteen episodes each, if I am correct, so that one season can fit quite comfortably on one disc) and a movie, and that set is priced out at $47.99, which seems to be the MAXIMUM price over at wbshop, where WAC releases seem to be priced at MSRP (give or take). Flintstones, on the other hand, has about six seasons, each of which has enough episodes that will require 2-3 discs per season (again, if WAC is doing it, since they don't cram as much on one disc as WHV), and each season with a similar (or higher) episode count as either Jonny Quest or The Jetsons, each of which is priced at $29.99 on wbshop. Considering all that plus the fact that the much older Flintstones will probably require more work than the relatively recent Teen Titans, and there is no way WAC can produce a complete series set that would make money (again, their maximum price on wbshop for ANY WAC releases is $47.99). So, I would expect quality individual seasons from WAC, or a lesser quality (potentially) complete series release from WHV. At least, that's what I would see happening.
Yes, The Flintstones had six seasons.
Seasons 1 and 3 both had 28 episodes, hence 7 episodes per disc on 4 discs.
Season 2 had 32 episodes, so 8 episodes per disc on 4 discs.
Seasons 4 to 6 all had 26 episodes, so 7 episodes per disc on discs 1-2, and 6 episodes per disc on discs 3-4.

I think WHV, and not WAC, would really be the one to release:
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-73)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980-81)

~Ben

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yes, The Flintstones had six seasons.
Seasons 1 and 3 both had 28 episodes, hence 7 episodes per disc on 4 discs.
Season 2 had 32 episodes, so 8 episodes per disc on 4 discs.
Seasons 4 to 6 all had 26 episodes, so 7 episodes per disc on discs 1-2, and 6 episodes per disc on discs 3-4.

I think WHV, and not WAC, would really be the one to release:
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-73)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980-81)

~Ben
The best thing Flintstones have going for them is that they still draw significant licensing revenue for Warner Bros. hopefully that will mean something

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
So far, WAC's only multi-season complete series set is Teen Titans, a show that has five seasons (with about thirteen episodes each, if I am correct, so that one season can fit quite comfortably on one disc) and a movie, and that set is priced out at $47.99, which seems to be the MAXIMUM price over at wbshop, where WAC releases seem to be priced at MSRP (give or take).

Granted it's just two seasons, but WAC did complete Harry O, including a separate release of its second TV-movie pilot, "Smile Jenny, You're Dead." (The first pilot was included with Season 1.)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Granted it's just two seasons, but WAC did complete Harry O, including a separate release of its second TV-movie pilot, "Smile Jenny, You're Dead." (The first pilot was included with Season 1.)
I think you might be misinterpreting what I said (and that may full well be my fault, the way I wrote things), so I'll try again. I was speaking specifically to complete series SETS (as opposed to series being completed), and on Blu-ray (neither of which applies, to the best of my knowledge, to Harry O). All I was saying was that, for The Flintstones to have its original series released on Blu-ray, with episode counts of between 26-32 episodes per season, which would result in at least 3 discs a season (if released by WAC instead of WHV), and probably a price tag of at least $29.99 a season (based on their Jonny Quest and Jetsons Blu-ray releases), that's nearly $180 worth of individual releases, and, considering that the wbshop charges MSRP prices (or close to) on WAC products, with a MAXIMUM price of $47.99 for WAC releases, there is likely no way WAC will release a complete series set, if they have the series (and would instead just do individual releases). If WHV has it, then a complete series release could happen, but the episodes would be crammed onto fewer discs, with a lesser quality transfer (at least, based on most comments for WHV's Scooby-Doo releases last year).

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I am another one that does not dare to predict anything. But I would be very happy to see some of these released this year by either Warner Archives or Criterion:

- Dinner at Eight
- Queen Christina
- The Roaring Twenties
- They died with their boots on
- All this and Heaven too
- High Sierra
- Boom Town
- Broadway Melody of 1940
- Ziegfeld Girl
- Waterloo Bridge
- Random Harvest
- Two Girls and a Sailor
- The Human Comedy
- A Guy named Joe
- White cliffs of Dover
- Humoresque
- Flamingo Road
- Nora Prentiss
- The Harvey Girls
- A Date with Judy
- Two Weeks with Love
- Romance on the High Seas
- Look for the Silver Lining
- Little Women (1949)
- Good News
- The 3 Musketeers
- The Barkleys of Broadway

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This is not a wish list. In fact, a few of the titles I have zero or minimal interest in. But I suspect that these 30 titles may very well be among Warners Archives announcements in 2020. We shall see if I need to send my crystal ball back to the factory for repairs :) But if just a fourth of them make it, I'll be pleased.

Adam's Rib (1949)
Bhowani Junction (1956)
The Cobweb (1955)
Good News (1947)
Good Earth (1937)
Green Dolphin Street (1947)
Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Harvey Girls (1946)
High Society (1956)
In The Good Old Summertime (1949)
Inside Daisy Clover (1965)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Johnny Belinda (1948)
Julius Caesar (1953)
King Solomon's Mines (1950)
Knights Of The Round Table (1953)
Mogambo
(1953)
Night Of The Iguana (1964)
Party Girl (1958)
The Pirate (1948)
Reflections In A Golden Eye (1967) (both the sepia and color versions)
Scaramouche (1952)
Show Boat (1951)
Sinbad The Sailor (1947)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass
(1961)
The Swan (1956)
The VIPs (1963)
Yellow Rolls Royce (1964)
Yolanda And The Thief (1945)

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This is not a wish list. In fact, a few of the titles I have zero or minimal interest in. But I suspect that these 30 titles may very well be among Warners Archives announcements in 2020. We shall see if I need to send my crystal ball back to the factory for repairs :) But if just a third of them make it, I'll be pleased.

Adam's Rib (1949)
Bhowani Junction (1956)
The Cobweb (1955)
Good News (1947)
Good Earth (1937)
Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Harvey Girls (1946)
High Society (1956)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Johnny Belinda (1948)
Julius Caesar (1953)
Mogambo
(1953)
Party Girl (1958)
The Pirate (1948)
Scaramouche (1952)
Show Boat (1951)
Sinbad The Sailor (1947)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass
(1961)
The Swan (1956)
The VIPs (1963)

I would actually buy every one of those titles. That’s a good list.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
This is not a wish list. In fact, a few of the titles I have zero or minimal interest in. But I suspect that these 30 titles may very well be among Warners Archives announcements in 2020. We shall see if I need to send my crystal ball back to the factory for repairs :) But if just a fourth of them make it, I'll be pleased.

Adam's Rib (1949)
Bhowani Junction (1956)
The Cobweb (1955)
Good News (1947)
Good Earth (1937)
Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Harvey Girls (1946)
High Society (1956)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Johnny Belinda (1948)
Julius Caesar (1953)
Mogambo
(1953)
Party Girl (1958)
The Pirate (1948)
Scaramouche (1952)
Show Boat (1951)
Sinbad The Sailor (1947)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass
(1961)
The Swan (1956)
The VIPs (1963)

Good News, The Great Ziegfeld, High Society, In the Good Old Summertime, Party Girl, Show Boat, Splendor in the Grass, and Yellow Rolls Royce would all be instant pre-orders for me.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

Adam's Rib (1949)
Bhowani Junction (1956)
The Cobweb (1955)
Good News (1947)
Good Earth (1937)
Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Harvey Girls (1946)
High Society (1956)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Johnny Belinda (1948)
Julius Caesar (1953)
Mogambo
(1953)
Party Girl (1958)
The Pirate (1948)
Scaramouche (1952)
Show Boat (1951)
Sinbad The Sailor (1947)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass
(1961)
The Swan (1956)
The VIPs (1963)
'
Certainly a good list of movies! Admittedly, I have my doubts there are that many musicals coming (I wouldn't mind it, but so far, WAC hasn't released more than 5 in a year, and that was a few years ago, with decreasing numbers every year), and I particularly have my doubts that Yolanda And The Thief will come from WAC on blu (so far, The Sea Wolf is the ONLY pre-1954 movie they've released on blu that was NOT released on DVD first by WHV, and that was making its debut on both formats, which doesn't bode too well for a lot of the pre-1954 movies that WAC released getting upgrades any time soon). Of course, I wouldn't mind being wrong on either of those points, so I hope that you're right in this instance!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, I'm hoping for more musicals, esp of course Fred and Ginger, Judy Garland, the 1951 Show Boat (an obvious early candidate, otherwise maybe Criterion would have been able to acquire it to make a double alongside the 30s version). Outside of that genre, I can't understand why Errol Flynn's Captain Blood wasn't given the nod ahead of The Sea Hawk.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Outside of that genre, I can't understand why Errol Flynn's Captain Blood wasn't given the nod ahead of The Sea Hawk.

I would guess that Captain Blood needs a lot of work before it's ready for Blu-ray. I remember seeing it on TCM a while ago and thinking that the transfer looked pretty rough.

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
Say, how about more classic animation sets (aside from Popeye, who Warner is finally taking a break from after celebrating his 90th anniversary in style last year)? These would be ideal candidates for this year's lineup:

- Anything for Bugs Bunny's 80th anniversary
- A complete Bosko set (for the "Looney Tunes" franchise's 90th anniversary)
- Harman/Ising "Merrie Melodies"
- "LT"/"MM" discs featuring currently unreleased shorts sorted by theme or character
- MGM Tex Avery
- "Happy Harmonies"
- Barney Bear
- Miscellaneous MGM shorts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks