What's new

My Yearly WAC Predictions (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Say, how about more classic animation sets (aside from Popeye, who Warner is finally taking a break from after celebrating his 90th anniversary in style last year)? These would be ideal candidates for this year's lineup:

- Anything for Bugs Bunny's 80th anniversary
- A complete Bosko set (for the "Looney Tunes" franchise's 90th anniversary)
- Harman/Ising "Merrie Melodies"
- "LT"/"MM" discs featuring currently unreleased shorts sorted by theme or character
- MGM Tex Avery
- "Happy Harmonies"
- Barney Bear
- Miscellaneous MGM shorts
I agree with you on all of these, plus I would like these from the Hanna-Barbera library...
* These Are the Days (1974-75)
* CB Bears (1977)
* Skatebirds (1977) / The Three Robonic Stooges (1978)
* Jana of the Jungle (1978)
* The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
* Trollkins (1981)
* Jokebook (1982)
* The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
* Wildfire (1986)

~Ben

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Tom and Jerry Vol.2 and Vol.3 All the MGM Cinemascope shorts. Max Fleischer's Superman 17 shorts ! They could fit on 1 Bluray disc.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Now that Modern Family is coming to an end, perhaps WB should revisit that show, and if the retail blu-rays weren't profitable enough, maybe they would consider releasing seasons 5 onward as part of the Warner Archive, where they can keep a tighter grip on inventory and pricing?

I refuse to buy any seasons on DVD. If my collection of this show has to end with season 4, so be it.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Now that Modern Family is coming to an end, perhaps WB should revisit that show, and if the retail blu-rays weren't profitable enough, maybe they would consider releasing seasons 5 onward as part of the Warner Archive, where they can keep a tighter grip on inventory and pricing?

I refuse to buy any seasons on DVD. If my collection of this show has to end with season 4, so be it.

Modern Family is actually a Fox show, so that would be up to Disney now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Modern Family is actually a Fox show, so that would be up to Disney now.

Ha, case closed then. I love this show, Sky (UK) has it on repeat all the time & I record & watch them. I must have seen each episode about ten times. The perfect sit-com featuring the legendry Ed O'Neill.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I am another one that does not dare to predict anything. But I would be very happy to see some of these released this year by either Warner Archives or Criterion:

- Dinner at Eight
- Queen Christina
- The Roaring Twenties
- They died with their boots on
- All this and Heaven too
- High Sierra
- Boom Town
- Broadway Melody of 1940
- Ziegfeld Girl
- Waterloo Bridge
- Random Harvest
- Two Girls and a Sailor
- The Human Comedy
- A Guy named Joe
- White cliffs of Dover
- Humoresque
- Flamingo Road
- Nora Prentiss
- The Harvey Girls
- A Date with Judy
- Two Weeks with Love
- Romance on the High Seas
- Look for the Silver Lining
- Little Women (1949)
- Good News
- The 3 Musketeers
- The Barkleys of Broadway

This is not a wish list. In fact, a few of the titles I have zero or minimal interest in. But I suspect that these 30 titles may very well be among Warners Archives announcements in 2020. We shall see if I need to send my crystal ball back to the factory for repairs :) But if just a fourth of them make it, I'll be pleased.

Adam's Rib (1949)
Bhowani Junction (1956)
The Cobweb (1955)
Good News (1947)
Good Earth (1937)
Green Dolphin Street (1947)
Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Harvey Girls (1946)
High Society (1956)
In The Good Old Summertime (1949)
Inside Daisy Clover (1965)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Johnny Belinda (1948)
Julius Caesar (1953)
King Solomon's Mines (1950)
Knights Of The Round Table (1953)
Mogambo
(1953)
Night Of The Iguana (1964)
Party Girl (1958)
The Pirate (1948)
Reflections In A Golden Eye (1967) (both the sepia and color versions)
Scaramouche (1952)
Show Boat (1951)
Sinbad The Sailor (1947)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass
(1961)
The Swan (1956)
The VIPs (1963)
Yellow Rolls Royce (1964)
Yolanda And The Thief (1945)

Say, how about more classic animation sets (aside from Popeye, who Warner is finally taking a break from after celebrating his 90th anniversary in style last year)? These would be ideal candidates for this year's lineup:

- Anything for Bugs Bunny's 80th anniversary
- A complete Bosko set (for the "Looney Tunes" franchise's 90th anniversary)
- Harman/Ising "Merrie Melodies"
- "LT"/"MM" discs featuring currently unreleased shorts sorted by theme or character
- MGM Tex Avery
- "Happy Harmonies"
- Barney Bear
- Miscellaneous MGM shorts

i get it, not a request, just speculation of the many wonderful titles that Warner, has that could be released, well some sign of hope, That Tex Avery set is forthcoming, i hope to see many surprises this year, maybe they will shock all of us and upgrade some of the Samuel Goldwyn titles if possible.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
i get it, not a request, just speculation of the many wonderful titles that Warner, has that could be released, well some sign of hope, That Tex Avery set is forthcoming, i hope to see many surprises this year, maybe they will shock all of us and upgrade some of the Samuel Goldwyn titles if possible.

As far as the Goldwyn titles are concerned, the Archive is apparently reissuing Guys and Dolls next month, so that seemingly confirms that Warner’s license for the Goldwyn library is still good. Dodsworth apparently got a new restoration so we should hopefully see that getting a release soon and we can hope that more of the Goldwyns get released (my primary want from that library is Wuthering Heights).

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
While I definitely agree that WAC's upcoming reissue of Guys And Dolls bodes well for the possibility of WAC releasing some Goldwyns, I still feel like it's a longshot (and I still forget it when it comes to any of the 30s Goldwyns). After all, if the Goldwyn library is supposedly in bad shape (at least, that's what it seems like I've heard a number of times here on this forum), and WAC is VERY reluctant to release any of their own 30s films (four years between 42nd Street and their next 30s film, plus RAH claiming all four were "full restorations"), so I just can't see it happening. That being said, they've been proving me wrong on a number of things, so maybe! Although, it is likely to be a while if it does happen, since it took nearly a year between their re-release of Meet In St. Louis and their first Judy Garland/pre-1954 MGM musical release of Summer Stock, and we still haven't seen anything further for 3D films after their re-releases of Kiss Me Kate and Dial M For Murder last September.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Samuel Goldwyn's ...The Pride of the Yankees (1942) The Best Baseball movie of all time ! Gary Cooper was Great as Lou Gehrig. Still waiting for a Bluray release ! WBArchive come on already !

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
A handful of classic musicals (which I'll probably buy), a bunch of low budget kitschy horror movies (a very few I might buy) and mainly more modern stuff (I probably won't buy). Just no surprises as usual.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The Goldwyn title I would be particularly interested in would be a remaster of "Whoopee." Yes, WAC already put out a DVD-r from an older master, but this film is one of only a handful of two-color Technicolor movies to survive in its camera negative. A restoration of this film has the potential to look as spectacular as the recent "King of Jazz" restoration. However, I realize that this film isn't likely high up on Warner's priority list.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
We must remember that Warner does not own these films but but has a lease arrangement with the Samual Goldwyn Estate. I’m not sure that Warner’s would spring the money to upgrade these titles. The Guys and Dolls Blu-ray is just a re-release of their original re-release of the MGM release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks