What's new
Real Name
Benjamin Burke
Okay so definitely a yes, Yes, and YES to Nick*Z's original list of goodies as to what films should have come to blu-ray. I wrote a letter to the Warner Archive Podcast several months ago asking why there aren't more Golden Age Treasures on blu-ray from their vaults and of course, they replied that it takes money and time and the real money makers are unfortunately films that cause people to wonder who actually is making the decisions as to what films make it on blu-ray at the Archive). They said that they had just finished work on a three-strip musical from MGM (which turned out to be Summer Stock) and that they are currently working on a much wanted title from the 30's and 40's for release later this year. Those titles could be any number of films-anywhere from The Great Ziegfeld, Bringing Up Baby, National Velvet, Now Voyager, to The Three Musketeers. My guess would be one that already is a knockout on DVD. I also think that if the Thin Man ever does make an appearance on blu, it will be a pretty pricey set from Criterion (I may be wrong). Keeping these things in mind, I see that there is going to be what TCM is referring to as a world premiere restoration of Holiday at the TCM Film Festival, so that might be the film from the 30's. Curiously enough, there is going to be a DCP of High Society and The Opposite Sex at the Festival too. Even though, these are not referred to as world premiere restorations, might there be some work done on them to get them all spruced up for the festival? Could this possibly mean that High Society might appear on blu with The Women's ugly step-child? Just a thought from an overthinking film enthusiast. Also, while I'm kind of just spurting out words, there must be something behind Raintree County, as there was an HD presentation on Film Struck that looked pretty gosh-darn good. If the archive is not even planning on putting Raintree County on blu, because of restoration costs, why don't they make the rest of us happy and put the HD presentation on DVD? Could it be that they are holding out for something better? Could it be that I am overthinking all of this at 3:00 in the morning when I can't sleep? I guess only time will tell.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Okay so definitely a yes, Yes, and YES to Nick*Z's original list of goodies as to what films should have come to blu-ray. I wrote a letter to the Warner Archive Podcast several months ago asking why there aren't more Golden Age Treasures on blu-ray from their vaults and of course, they replied that it takes money and time and the real money makers are unfortunately films that cause people to wonder who actually is making the decisions as to what films make it on blu-ray at the Archive). They said that they had just finished work on a three-strip musical from MGM (which turned out to be Summer Stock) and that they are currently working on a much wanted title from the 30's and 40's for release later this year. Those titles could be any number of films-anywhere from The Great Ziegfeld, Bringing Up Baby, National Velvet, Now Voyager, to The Three Musketeers. My guess would be one that already is a knockout on DVD. I also think that if the Thin Man ever does make an appearance on blu, it will be a pretty pricey set from Criterion (I may be wrong). Keeping these things in mind, I see that there is going to be what TCM is referring to as a world premiere restoration of Holiday at the TCM Film Festival, so that might be the film from the 30's. Curiously enough, there is going to be a DCP of High Society and The Opposite Sex at the Festival too. Even though, these are not referred to as world premiere restorations, might there be some work done on them to get them all spruced up for the festival? Could this possibly mean that High Society might appear on blu with The Women's ugly step-child? Just a thought from an overthinking film enthusiast. Also, while I'm kind of just spurting out words, there must be something behind Raintree County, as there was an HD presentation on Film Struck that looked pretty gosh-darn good. If the archive is not even planning on putting Raintree County on blu, because of restoration costs, why don't they make the rest of us happy and put the HD presentation on DVD? Could it be that they are holding out for something better? Could it be that I am overthinking all of this at 3:00 in the morning when I can't sleep? I guess only time will tell.

Holiday
, is if I remember correctly, a Columbia Pictures movie, now owned by Sony, so it wouldn't be coming from Warner, but Sony (or, more likely, Criterion, since they have released several other Cary Grant movies from them), so we really don't know what the 30s film will be coming from WAC. All I know is that, whatever it is, we need to come together to support it if we want more representation from that decade from Warner (given that WAC has only release ONE title on blu from that decade, which was 42nd Street, and that was four years ago, with no signs of more Busby Berkeley musicals or anything else from the thirties until that podcast, Criterion's upcoming release of Swing Time and the rumored Showboat (not to mention Criterion releasing The Cameraman, the first Warner-owned 20s release in quite a while on blu)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan

WAC tends to give these excuses. While they sound reasonable on the surface, a cynic like myself can point to the some of the inferior RKO blu-ray titles released in the Japan and how much of coincidence it is that WAC or their friends at Criterion/Shout Factory are releasing these same titles from the Warner library not too long after. These Japanese labels took the risk, while WAC only acted after they had sales data to hand over to their bean counters.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
You missed out In Harm's Way (1965), it's the Paramount Duke I want the most. There are a lot of obvious films that you'd have thought would have been released on Blu-ray by now, but I suppose that's balanced out by the surprising releases we thought would never happen, like One-Eyed Jacks. But the catalogue releases keep on coming thick & fast. I haven't bought that many this year but that's mostly due to my appalling taste in films, I do have this feeling that next year is going to be mega...& maybe Paramount will start licensing films out to a trusted company (I'd pick Twilight Time, limited to 3000 releases & a premium price point I'd think Paramount would love all that).
Also "DragonSlayer" has been trapped in Paramount & Disney hell for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks