What's new

My Yearly WAC Predictions (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
It would be interesting if WAC released the complete series of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (yes, there was a TV adaptation), with a young Richard Dean Anderson and a younger River Phoenix. A few years ago, some TV channel was airing reruns of the show, so the people who run WB's library department are probably aware that the show exists. All that matters is if the quality is up to par or it needs to be remastered.

Here's the theme song. I feel like the composer saw the title and thought that this was a sequel to The Magnificent Seven! ;)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I hope 2020 brings some Classic Movie titles from my Wish List from WBArchive. 2019 I only added 1 wish list movie title ... Days of Wine and Roses. The other 4 titles were Animated titles. Popeye Vol.2 and 3, The Jetsons, and Jonny Quest.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Hopefully these will include the two Astaire/Vera Ellen films - Three Little Words and The Belle of New York.
While I definitely want those (and ANY of the other Fred Astaire musicals that Warner owns), I would be surprised to see more than one of Fred's films released in one year, given Warner's history of how they have been releasing his films on Blu-ray (not to mention the overall variety of musicals). Seriously WHV only released 2 of his films on Blu-ray (3 if we include their release of the Paramount film Funny Face when they still had the license), and WAC only released 2 over a period of two years (and haven't released any since Finian's Rainbow in 2017). Again, I hope I am wrong, as I would be very quick to buy them (and encourage them to release more)!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope 2020 brings some Classic Movie titles from my Wish List from WBArchive. 2019 I only added 1 wish list movie title ... Days of Wine and Roses. The other 4 titles were Animated titles. Popeye Vol.2 and 3, The Jetsons, and Jonny Quest.

Same here, only The Bad & The Beautiful off my list last year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some people complain and act like WAC is just suppose to cater to their personal taste in movies. Just to name some titles, I had a great year of 2019 WAC releases because I like movies across different genres and film decades:

A Patch of Blue
Summer Stock
Gaslight
Footlight Parade
The Thin Man
Wagonmaster
Jezebel
The Set-Up
The Letter
The Bad and the Beautiful
The World, the Flesh and the Devil
Operation Crossbow
Merrill's Mauraders
Jonny Quest
Popeye (Volumes 2 &3)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Some people complain and act like WAC is just suppose to cater to their personal taste in movies. Just to name some titles, I had a great year of 2019 WAC releases because I like movies across different genres and film decades:

A Patch of Blue
Summer Stock
Gaslight
Footlight Parade
The Thin Man
Wagonmaster
Jezebel
The Set-Up
The Letter
The Bad and the Beautiful
The World, the Flesh and the Devil
Operation Crossbow
Merrill's Mauraders
Jonny Quest
Popeye (Volumes 2 &3)
I bought all but three of those in your list plus some others and I'm pleased and/or delighted with every one of them! Warner Archive is my favorite Blu-ray label.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree that 2019 was a great year for WAC releases.

I have discovered so many great films I never watched before.

My favorites were The Set-up, Footlight Parade and The Bad and the Beautiful.

Of course, Warner put out one of my all-time favorite films, The Prisoner of Second Avenue last May in a stunning new transfer.

So, yeah, great year!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I've tried buying important classic movies because I think I should own them (& a good few of those released by WAC last year), but I've given up on that, it's just junking myself up, like having rows of books that you know you'll never read. So this year it's...someone releases a film I like & want, I'll buy it & be very grateful, other than that...pass, but I promise, no complaining.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well I've tried buying important classic movies because I think I should own them (& a good few of those released by WAC last year), but I've given up on that, it's just junking myself up, like having rows of books that you know you'll never read. So this year it's...someone releases a film I like & want, I'll buy it & be very grateful, other than that...pass, but I promise, no complaining.
Well, that's fair enough and I don't think anyone is going to suggest you buy discs you don't want. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Warner Archive keep releasing films I want on modestly-priced Blu-ray discs! I assure everyone I watch them all again and again. They do not sit on a shelf gathering dust!

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Captain Blood ! ....I wish ! It's Long over due on Bluray. Just 3 Flynn titles from WB ! R Hood, Dodge, & Sea Hawk. ??? : ( WHY ???? That's what I would like to know.

Ha, I wouldn't buy Captain Blood, but I'd buy They Died With Their Boots On, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Gentleman Jim & The Master of Ballantrae in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Since we are trying to predict some of WAC's releases for the coming year, I should throw this thought out there. It seems like they have hinted at potential future releases with similar titles in the past. For a few quick examples, in 2017, they released Auntie Mame (which seemed to hint at Mame coming a year later) and The Sea Wolf (which, given its history, seemed to predict The Sea Hawk coming in late 2018), and in 2018, we got Two Weeks In Another Town (which seemed to predict the recent release of The Bad And The Beautiful). While it's obviously not a guarantee (especially since I noticed it and am throwing this out there), do we think any of last year's releases are hinting at what is to come this year? The closest I can think of (again, I'm just guessing here) would be Summer Stock predicting either The Pirate (although that seems unlikely given that George Feltenstein mentioned in the podcast on Summer Stock that that movie would have to sell for them to go forward on The Pirate, and the announcement of Summer Stock was not a well-received one) or For Me And My Gal, or another potential prediction might be Cleopatra Jones maybe predicting its sequel. Again, these are just my thoughts. Anyone else have any ideas?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, pretty much impossible to second guess any WAC releases, but I'd be surprised if we didn't get Up Periscope this year. WAC have released a few 'scope war movies, Battle Cry, Merrill's Marauders, The Naked & The Dead, & this would be a continuation of that...but I wouldn't put any money on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks