What's new

Mits, Sony, Panny, Hitachi (1 Viewer)

I'm getting ready to drool over rear projection TVs and the following sets are the TVs I'm considering:

Mitsubishi 42" WT42311
Sony 46" KP 46WT500
Panasonic 47" PT 47WX42
Hitachi 43" 43FWX20DB

At present I'm leaning towards the Mits. The room this will go in is only 12'X12', which I know isn't the best for HT sound or viewing, but it's the best I can do. The rest of the family could care less about HT. If anyone has had any experience with any of these models or has any other advice, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance folks.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend one thing to have on a new RPTV and that is a DVI-HDCP input. This input had been heavily pushed by Hollywood and could very well be the only one used on HD-DVD. Unfortunately of the three you mention only Mitsubishi does not have it one any of their TVs even the ones coming out this year! Also I'm afraid that both the Hitachi and Panasonic models you mentioned lack a DVI-HDCP, but the Sony you mentioned does have one. Panasonic does not have DVI-HDCP on any of their 2002 HDTV's but all their 2003 models do. The Panasonic PT-47WX53 will be released this month which is the 2003 model of the PT-47WX42. Hitachi has DVI-HDCP on many of their HDTV's but not on the 43FWX20B. A new tabletop HDTV the 46F500 was released this spring which does have DVI-HDCP along with various improvements. Mitsubishi is a member of the IEEE 1394 Trade Association which is pushing for Firewire as the standard on HDTV. As such they do not support DVI-HDCP even though Hollywood studios have not even allowed DVD to output on Firewire! For recording Firewire is a great choice but Hollywood does not want pre-recorded content to be sent over it. For future compatibility I recommend going with a set that has DVI-HDCP. An example of Hollywood paranoia over copying of HDTV is all the DVD players that upconvert DVD to 720p or 1080i do so only on DVI-HDCP.

As for which HDTV I recommend I would give a nod to both the Sony and Panasonic since they can display 480p natively instead of having to upconvert it to 540p which is used to simplify the set and not to improve quality. Also if you don't know or don't like manual convergence of the CRT's then I would suggest the Sony.

AlbertL

Agent
DVI might be nice, and even necessary, in 2 years, but that factor didn't deter me from buying the Mitsu 42311. My motivating factors were the tiny footprint (it had to fit in an entertainment center I have), excellent DVD/HDTV picture quality, and reasonable price. I also noted how many of the professional-quality home theaters in magazines like Audio Video Interiors used Mitsus, and liked that track record.

I upgraded from a nice direct view 32 inch Sony HDTV (which is now in the bedroom). The Mitsu is a great step towards a true home theatre, and embarrassingly enough cost only $200 or so more than what I paid for the Sony.

If DVI becomes a real issue, I'll bite the bullet and upgrade only then, when the technology matures.

Albert

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
An example of Hollywood paranoia over copying of HDTV is all the DVD players that upconvert DVD to 720p or 1080i do so only on DVI-HDCP.
I really think this is blown out of proportion. Please name all the upconverting DVD players. I know that Samsung is releasing one, as has Faroudja (sp???) but it's not like they're mainstream. I've never even seen one.

I agree that I think you can still get great satasfaction with a set that doesn't include DVI-HDCP. Just my 2¢.:)

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I also believe that DVI-HDCP is still not an issue (not just yet). So I would go fot the mitsubishi. Great quality in picture progresive and HD.

Hugo

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
BTW the next line of Mits will have DVI and Firewire. Plus theres a TON of Mits TV owners on the Net willing to help with any problem you have.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I want to confirm what Tommy said. The Mitsubishi 2003 models will have DVI and Firewire. The HD-upgraderable will be available very shortly, if not they already are in some stores. The HD-integrated will be available in maybe a couple of months.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I would be surprised to say the least if Mitsubishi started putting DVI-HDCP inputs on their HDTV's, but after searching their website I've seen no evidence of it. From what I heard even their 1080p LCOS HDTV the "Mitsubishi Alpha" with its $21,000 price doesn't have DVI-HDCP even though it would be logical to have a DVI input on it. Also the specifications for all of the 2003 Mitsubishi HDTV's don't include DVI-HDCP as one of the input's. That's not to say I don't believe it could happen, but would you mind telling where you've heard this from?

I must admit there's only one DVD player out that can upconvert to 720p/1080i and that's the Bravo D1 player. There is also a Samsung DVD player the HD931 that will do it though it isn't out yet. But both will only upconvert over DVI-HDCP which will limit the number of consumers that will buy one. This means that the companies making these DVD players are being prevented from upconverting over component which to me seems a good indication of what pre-recorded HD-DVD will not output on.

Tommy & Hugo,
What is your source that indicated the Mits 2003 models will have DVI & firewire? Also, when do the 2003 models hit the stores? Do all of the different brands usually bring out their new models about the same time (would make sense if they want to compete). I know questions, questions, questions. But hey, I'm learning and getting good info from all the folks on the forum. Thanks again.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Lewis, I'm not allow to say what I'm about to say, but: Guess where I work at? So believe me when I say the new Mitsubishi models will have DVI and Firewire, and the approx. dates they'll be going on the market.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: DVI-HDCP on the new Mits, I believe some people who attended CES also reported this for the new line of Mits. In fact, it was reported that pretty much ALL the major makers will come out w/ 2003 models that have DVI-HDCP although this may not apply to all new models.

_Man_

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Compared to all of those ignorant Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Toshiba, RCA, and Samsung owners ?
YES! Thats EXACTLY what I said! You have found me out! By telling him that theres excelent Mits support on the internet I was actually calling millions of people ignorant assholes! I am caught!

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy, I wasn't trying to apply anything negative against you so much as pointing out that Lewis could get technical help for almost any TV brand. It was honestly meant to be in good humor and I'm sorry if you took personal offense at my statement. Some interesting news about the Twice article is the fact that the FCC has recently rethought the deadline for a cable tuner mandate. From what I heard the FCC may not enforce a cable tuner mandate till 2005! Personally it would be ridiculous if the FCC forces ATSC tuners in TV's but then doesn't enforce the plug and play agreement for High Definition cable. High Definition cable compatibility is currently the weakest link in the transition to the ATSC standard.

Thanks again guys. The twice.com article was interesting. I think I'm going to do some window shopping tomorrow, just to see what's out there. There's a Sears, Tweeter, Best Buy & Circuit City all within a couple of miles of each other fairly close to where I live. They're also in Delaware which has no sales tax. Another plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks