New Models coming out, initial thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Tk, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well I've played with the new Sony 57" and the new Hitachi 51". All I did was convergence and Avia, but the new Hitachi looks amazing. The new Sony looks good too, but the new Hitachi looks just better. I hooked up TPM, Toy Story, Shrek, Vertical Limit, Gladiator, and a few other disc to them, the Hitachi looked better on all, in my opinion of course.

This may be silly, but the new cabinet on the Hitachi looks nice, the new Sony cabinet is very ugly. It's silver for one, looks like a big hunk of plastic like the new JVC's.

After playing with the new Panny, JVC, Sony, and Hitachi, I would definitely buy a Hitachi (have not seen new Mits or others).

2. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hey Steve what's the "new" hit you're referring to? I'm 99% on buying a Hitachi but am waiting until the "new" ones come out in the fall hopinh DVI might appear. Are you talking about the newest Hits available (from fall 2001) or have some Summer 2002 units come out?

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

The new Hitachi's are the 51swx20b. The 57 and 65 will be out shortly. The XWX with tuner's will be out in september. These all have DVI. Check them out. DVD's look amazing on them. I know CC and Sears have them.

The new Sony's are very nice too. I just can't get over the big silver plastic cabinet, but I'm sure they will be a big hit. Either way, DVD's look very very nice on both of them.

4. tushar_S

tushar_S Auditioning

If you are concerned about the look of the plastic body, then take a look at the new Samsung i saw yesterday ( i dont know what model). It has a nice smooth black round shape at the back unlike the other PRTVs that look like boxes put together.

But personally, I am more interested in the front (picture) than the back, which makes all the difference in enjoying HDTV. My bucks are on new Sony, which I have ordered here in Canada.

5. Dave Ramsey

Dave Ramsey Auditioning

Steve_Tk,

Which Sony model were you looking at?

-dr

6. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

BTW, only the WV series are silver, the WS cabinets are black.

7. Peter Hunt

Thanks for the new model number, I was able to find some info online. I think I already know the answer to this but has anyone heard of a Hitachi coming out soon that has DVI but is a 4x3 set? And does anyone know of any 4x3 sets that will have DVI? I find a 51" WS is too small for 4x3 viewing and was hoping for a 53" 1.33 with DVI.

Thanks

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

What are the stats on the new Hitachi? What video modes does it display in?

H has always made a nice TV, both direct view and RP.

9. Peter Hunt

10. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

The only manufacture thats commited to DVI totally is sony, so far. All of there new HD sets will have it. But i'm not sure if they will be coming out with any 4x3 projections. I can't wait to see the XWX hitachi's. We are supposed to get the 51 in sept.

11. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Steve about the new Hitachi's. You couldn't give me an old Magic focus model, but the new 117 point manual convergence on the new SWX models is awesome. BTW, the XWX series will have DVI and IEEE1394.

Scott