What's new

My Sears price matching adventure! (long) (1 Viewer)

John_Sn

Grip
Well. My search has ended. Purchased thee PT-47wx49 today at Sears! I basically new I wanted this panny. I have viewed them ummteen times along with the other brands and have thought the picture was great. I have been researching monitors for the past 1.5 years! I was going to go with the Mitsubishi when i started my saga then it was going to be the Toshiba 50H(x)81. My logic was, with the new encryption standards on the horizon why would I want to spend 2200$ + on one of these lovely sets? Maybe if I could find an internet price for the panny that was ridiculously low and maybe if Sears would match this ridiculously low price then just maybe I would buy it. Well, i found a site that was selling the panny for 1544.95$ Didn't mention a thing about shipping prices. I print it out and head north to sears. Walk into the store and look off into the distance and see the tvs. They had a panny set up with a laser disc signal split 14 times and the picture was very acceptable. Played with the set for a little bit and got the dishnetworks Hd loop running, split 14 times. Looked awesome! Better than the mits, hitachi and sonys. I no. I no, the store is not the place to compare but the panny was awesome without calibration! Ok, now the young female sales lady came over and asked if she could help me, I said "if you could match this price and only charge me 35$ for inhouse delivery with setup, I'll bye this baby right now. She said "no problem"!! Ended up paying 1670$ delivered! And the set is going to be delivered tomorrow! Awesome baby!! I'll let ya no what my thoughts are after I do some minor calibrations.. any suggestions? It's a beautiful day!!

John_Sn

Grip
Thanks Stefan,
I will have to start subscribing to sound and vision. The pricematch from sears was the
determining factor in my equation. I think it was a pretty attractive price? NO? Called the delivery guys and they told me that My panny will be delivered to me by high noon tomorrow! Sweet! Any suggestions?
peace
john

John Tyrone

Agent
That sounds like you got a great deal, I'm also looking at the panny so report back when it's hooked up at home. :)
Oh, and here's some advice, don't subscribe to sound and vision.
biggrin.gif

John

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
That is a great price. I too just bought this set on Sunday night, but the best price I could get it for was a match of Onecall's $1799, plus tax and $40 shipping. While not the greatest deal, I do have no money down, no interest or payments until October 2002. Hopefully I can make more then $200 on my money in some investments, but in this market I doubt it.
One thing I did not do is get the extended warranty. I have never been a big believe in them, but now I am starting to second guess it. Check out this significant problem that several people have had with this set...
http://63.249.150.205/pannyubb/Forum8/HTML/000061.html
I am now thinking of getting a warranty but Sears wants $100 a year for one, with a 2 year minimum. Sounds a little high to me. Is there a 3rd party place I can get one?

John_Sn

Grip
Pop goes the panny!
Thanks for the heads up Dwight. This is not good and hopefully a rare problem with these sets. I to did not purchase the extended warranty, though I have 30 days to decide and will probably purchase a 2 year for 199$. If anybody knows of other potential warranters..please chime in. Does Panasonic offer one? Will research.
J. Tyrone.. i will heed your advice :)

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
I also have over 200 hours on my Panny with no problems. I didn't get the extended warranty because at $1,700 its a toss up. If I was buying a $10k DLP it would have been a different story. Congrats!

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
John_Sn, how did you find such a low price including delivery? Where did you find the price?

John_Sn

Grip
Hey fellas,
JohnMM, I printed out this web sites price http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electron...pt47hd169.html and sears priced match it plus 5% sales tax. I received it today @ noon. Did the 9 point convergence, did the svm hack (disabled the clamps). Couple other little tweaks..and geezus this baby is shining already! Regular analog cable looks, at times, great! GIGO scenario. DVD from my Panny rv31 interlaced player looks totally awesome. What we must figure out now is how we can translate the "other" svm tweak values that Michael TLV found in designer mode into service mode values. Let's think people..
peace
john

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
John_Sn, your young sales lady messed up. I believe the Sears price match policy requires her to add the price of shipping to the internet TV price. I went to the site in your link and followed the instructions to get the shipping price and it is $298 to my address (Austin, TX). Congrats on your lucky purchase and enjoy :)
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

John_Sn

Grip
You are correct hank, but who am I to question her marketing techniques :)
John, it took me about 5 minutes to physically detach the plugs.. take a look here.. Link Removed and then click on the known tweaks section. The panny does a very respectable 2:3 pulldown.
[Edited last by John_Sn on October 10, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
went to sears with 10 online prices, they shot down everyone. The sales rep called an 800 number to see if they would accept any on the online prices that I showed them. The salesman asked me if I could even afford one. I walked away and bought a toshiba 50hx81 for $2100 delivered at a local mom and pops tv store. The sears in my area with price matching is a big joke.

also....

They told me the first time I went to sears that they wouldn't accept prices from crazy eddies, yahoo shopping, and pcmall. so I didn't use these sites when I took in my price matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks