What's new

Hitachi UWX vs. SWX in a 51" size RPTV (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hi I'm looking for possibly a 50" tv and have been going numb over the decision between Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi and Panasonic. I'll be mostly watching DVD's, digital cable from Shaw, and XBOX, in that order. I'm trying to decide on which brand to get and am getting more and more confused by the differences between each.

I'm trying to target the price range of $3000 Canadian, or possibly lower.

I was almost going to pull the trigger on a 50HDX Toshiba for 3k tax in the other day, but I was told there were a lot of problems with these units. So I suppose that's out.

I can get the Hitachi 51SWX for about $4500, and that price range scares me. I understand that there is a UWX series which I haven't been able to find. I'm guessing that's a little closer to my price range, and there's also a 50F series as well which is right in my range, what is the difference between these sets? Would I miss out on anything the SWX series offers by getting the UWX?

I have a similar question about Sony. They seem to have a W500 and also a W700 series. I haven't been able to see a 50" 700 model so I'm guessing that they don't make a 700 in my size. Correct? And what would be the difference between a 500 and 700 models?

I understand that the only real difference between the Toshiba H and HDX models is the longer lasting Pegasus guns, correct? But Toshiba is out of contention because of the unreliability of the sets.

And finally the Panasonics. There doesnt seem to be much info here on the panny's, and because they are SO much cheaper than the other sets I am certain that they are lacking something, but don't really know what.

I can't get Mits in Canada.

I thought about a front projector but I'm in an apartment with perhaps 10' to the wall from my couch, have no where to put it and can't really mount it, plus I've heard that the affordable ones have their problems and are quite loud, and most people watch basic cable on a tube still. Plus, I can't really control the amount of light in my place.

I'd also consider a tube but the 34" widescreens are so expensive compared to the size of them, and that's not really an option.

I've gone around and looked at some but the shops around here don't really have them set right and it makes it hard to compare. Plus due to my inexperience, I wouldn't know how to properly adjust them myself.

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

MatthewB

Auditioning
I am in the same boat - looking for either a 50" or 57" and debating which brand. I am no expert, but have been researching for a couple of months.

The main differences on the Hitachi are the cabinet and a built in digital receiver. The following link from Hitachi covers the differences.
www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/projection/16-9digital/16-9digital_index.shtml[/url]

The upper end sony (I forgot the model#) that has the memory stick input is not available in the 50" model - only the 57" and 65".

I am currently leaning toward the Hitachi. Cnet and Consumer Reports rated it very high. The Sony scares me a bit due to the flicker issue - but I am a big sony fan.

Let me know what you do and how it turns out. We will probably make our purchase sometime in June (unless we get a Sony and wait for the new models to come out in July).

Matthew

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I will do! Although I'm in the same boat as you: not buying til the summer months if I can wait... :)

Good luck! I'm even open to one of the new DLP sets if they come out by that time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks