New Mits 73" - again

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Wilke, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

Me again - for the last time, I swear.

I have an older 61" 4:3 XBR200 Sony that I want to replace. My wife and I watch 70% digital cable and Dish with a lot of our material coming via recordings off a TiVo or Dish 510 PVR. That leaves maybe 30% for DVDs, probably less. HD is coming - slowly - and our cable company just released a new HD package with more to come so we need a new display. We have a very bright room, especially in the summer and we can't easily control the light - darn windows! - so that takes front projector out of the mix and essentially leaves me with RP. Now, we have a 61" set, space is not an issue and I want the best picture I can get in with as large a picture as I can get. Virtually everybody makes a very good 65" set but the resulting 16X9 picture is actually a bit smaller than what we have now. Other than a few hyper-expensive plasmas, the only thing bigger than 65" is the 70" LCD Sony and the 73" CRT Mits. Oh, and the $20,000 82" Mits which is out of reach. I've seen both of the others and I really wanted to like the Sony but the picture was flat and lifeless and just didn't do it for me. I saw the 73713 Mits and was impressed; it had a great picture even when fed the worst cable source we could find and the 4:3 to 16:9 stretch modes work pretty well. I actually went back to the store 2 days later with a check in my pocket and found they'd sold the only 2 they had; the one on the floor had been packed up and delivered as had the one in the warehouse. Shipping delays due to the nasty weather have held up the next one but it is supposed to be here in 8 days, a week from tomorrow. My question:

Is there anything coming in the next 3-6-9 months worth waiting for in 70"+? A new 73" Toshiba or Hitachi? Anything else out of CES that will be here any time soon? Sony seems to have abandoned CRT but is anybody else still working there? I've examined all the CES reports and it appears there are advances in many areas but no bigger screens. I realize CRTs are on their way out but this is not likely to be the last TV I buy. If it gets me through 2-3 years until LCoS or DLP get cheaper, bigger and better, that's fine with me. I am a bit concerned in that the big Mits sets always seem to be ranked below the competition. The 65" set, for example, is usually rated behind the Toshiba, Sony and Hitachi and often the Pannys and Pioneers. If any of those companies were to come out with a CRT 73+ this summer, I'd be unhappy. Unless I get some hint, though, I'm going to buy the 73 next week and I really don't want to make a $6,000 mistake. Thoughts?

2. Bruce McDermott

Don't be misled by those ratings--the Mits are excellent TVs. A good calibrator can probably get more out of a Mits than any other RPTV. Check out www.hghometheater.com for what an example of what a good calibrator will do.

Moreover, the '04 Mits is their best yet, by a significant margin. If you don't need an HD tuner, check out the WS65413. If you do, check out the 813, and get 9 inch guns in the process. If neither is big enough, and you can actually get the WS73713 (the '04 version of the Mits 73 inch TV), go for it. Save some money for calibration. Bigger than that--I think you're out of luck right now without going front projection.

By way of background, I've been doing a lot of research and viewing myself in the last few weeks. I have a 61" 4x3 sony, but my viewing habits are different from yours. About 80% of my viewing is in 16x9, either with DVDs or with dish or OTA HD. It's time for a 16x9. I've got a NEC CRT front projector I haven't set up yet because I keep waiting for the "ideal" processor solution (maybe the DVDO-HD unit that's pretty close to release?), but in any event I won't be using that for "daily" watching.

And, like you, I want big. I've liked the Phillips LCOS for HD when I saw it the first time, but the second viewing, on the same channel (HDNet) and the same TV, it wasn't so nice, and 55" is not big enough. The Sony XBR 70" model is tempting, but it's a good $6,000+ even with discounts, and, like you, I don't figure this is my last TV--what I'm looking for is a transitional set, to get me to the era of large, inexpensive, high quality digital alternatives to CRTs. Moreover, without starting any flame wars or anything, I still think the LCDs, DLPs and even plasmas out there cannot yet measure up to the cinematic quality of a properly calibrated CRT set.

So, I've looked at Hitachi, Sony, Tosh, Pioneer and Mits. I've talked to a variety of good, known calibrators of all those TVs, locally and otherwise. I'm down to 3 CRT TVs--the Pioneer Elite 730HDI (64"), the Mits WS65813 and the Mits WS65413. The first and second are about $1900 more than the third. The first and third have 7 inch CRTs, while the 813 as 9 inchers. The 813 has a built-in HD tuner.

At this point, I'm leaning to the 413--I don't need a tuner, and these sets calibrate to a gorgeous picture. But, we'll see....

Anyway, good luck! Tell us what you do and how you like it.

3. Ronald Aguilar

I have a Mits 73711 currently that was just tuned by Gregg Loewen. The picture is outstanding! The picture from the DirectTivo is ok, we watch it with no problem. I am waiting for the HDTIVO this quarter. We currently watch about 40% DirectTivo, 30% HD and 30% DVD's. We love it! You won't go wrong with the Mits.

PS. I used to have the Mits 80803 (80 inch 4x3). This new TV blows it out of the water.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i just got the 73713, and hd looks almost flawless out of the box.

still needs some work to get the 480p material(dvd) up to snuff.
    i imagine after 100 hrs or so it will be broken in enough.
    i have a big problem with what i guess is combing.
    not so much on movie dvd's but a ton on tv on dvd.
    almost any screen movement for tv dvd i get
    combing and jaggies.
    on movie dvd's i get it
    almost every scene transition.
    when a scene jump cuts
    from one to another i see it.
    using a pan rp-91.
    i never had this problem
    on my tosh tw56x81.

it will be cali'd also by gregg,
    but not until march [​IMG] .

i still haven't figured out how to get the netcommand to be useful and the perfect color button.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    by the way bruce. that link doesnt work.
    what is the working link?

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Tony,

For Shits and giggles, try your RP-91 in interlaced mode and turn down the sharpness control (on the player) a couple of notches.

7. Bruce McDermott