What's new

Midway (2019) (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
Current generation viewers don't have that kind of patience to sit their butts to go through elaborate portrayal of the whole event unlike those cinema goers back more than 3,40yrs ago... Whose more willing to get their butts warmed by the poor seats to go thru more than 3hrs long A Bridge too Far, Battle of the Bulge as well as Patton. Even slightly modern slow ones like Thin Red Line feels a little draggy to some, in comparison to " well action timed " Saving Private Ryan.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I think a lot of people worry that modern identity politics will be sent back in time to create jarring anachronisms (*).

It's been a while since I've seen the Heston version, so I'll have to paraphrase, but there a scene where a character is raging about the internment of Japanese-Americans and asks how come Italian-Americans are being treated the same.

Heston responds that Italians didn't do Pearl Harbour.

It's a great line, but it's not hard to imagine that being removed at scripting stages these days, with a note from one of the producers calling it "problematic".

(*) And yes, obviously anachronisms in historical films are as old as Hollywood, but sometimes the reasoning is understandable (e.g. people speaking English in Ben Hur). However, pandering/virtue-signalling to university hot-heads isn't.

Yes, you nailed what I was concerned about.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Current generation viewers don't have that kind of patience to sit their butts to go through elaborate portrayal of the whole event unlike those cinema goers back more than 3,40yrs ago... Whose more willing to get their butts warmed by the poor seats to go thru more than 3hrs long A Bridge too Far, Battle of the Bulge as well as Patton. Even slightly modern slow ones like Thin Red Line feels a little draggy to some, in comparison to " well action timed " Saving Private Ryan.

Yes, it's true that modern audiences won't sit through long movies.

That's why the 3-hour "Endgame" flopped...

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
"Based on incredible real events" then two cuts later a shot of a plane flying down main street firing.

I guess it could have happened, but it looks so movie-ish.

Also, Some of the shots of civilians looking up at enemy planes flying overhead are very reminiscent of Bay's Pearl Harbor.

YANG

Screenwriter
this is a R.E. film,not R.S. film.
it's Roland “Effectz” Emmerich.
not Ridley “Stunt-ing” Scott.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland

Here in the UK, cinema seats are more comfortable than they were a few decades ago. Imagine it’s the same in most countries.

And in a world where IT 2 is the best part of three hours, then it seems modern audiences are quite happy with long films.

In fact, many of the most popular films of the past two decades seem to be epic length. Titanic, Endgame, Infinity War, Avatar...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
this is a R.E. film,not R.S. film.
it's Roland “Effectz” Emmerich.
not Ridley “Stunt-ing” Scott.
Independence Day had a very good balance between CG and practical effects.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, it's true that modern audiences won't sit through long movies.

That's why the 3-hour "Endgame" flopped...
If anything, movies today are over-long and bloated. The only movie in the top-ten highest grossing films of all time that's under two hours is The Lion King remake, and that's just two minutes shy of two hours.

YANG

Screenwriter
just walked out from the first day screening of MIDWAY. my advice?
1. don't watch the original MIDWAY in whatever format U possess,let this remake renew ur idea what or how the MIDWAY battle happened to be.
2. buy a slightly bigger serving of popcorn as u'll munching lots of it during the numbers of ID4~ish dog fights which in comparison could put Battle of Britain and Tora Tora Tora ... to sleep.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm not keen about this film which is why it might be an A-Lister movie for me. If not then I'll probably skip it altogether and watch it on cable.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a WWII flick. I'm a sucker for those. I know this film is a Bruckheimer production, so I'm not expecting anything much better than "Pearl Harbor" level trash, but I'll still go to see this before it leaves the theatre.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It's a big-budget and highly accurate "docudrama" if that makes sense. Pretty much everything in this movie actually happened.

(It doesn't add a made-up soap opera a la Pearl Harbor.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks