1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Midway (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, May 14, 2019.

1. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Based on your link, it sounds like the movie is more historically accurate than quite a lot of movies out there. I'm definitely going to see this one.

Randy Korstick and Tino like this.
  2. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    Saw Midway today. On one hand, it was refreshing to see and unabashedly patriotic American movie. No angst about all kinds of social problems and bad-mouthing the USA in one way or another. And it did have a certain entertainment value to it.

On the other, the film itself was languid to a fault, lots of filler, and when action erupted it was phony-looking, the CGI obvious not seamless, and the whole production seemed a bit made-for-TV, the same problem I had with Harriet Tubman. I know they spent a ton of money on it, but I guess the money went in to CGI, because the acting was stilted and the 'real' sets looked cheap to me.

C+

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    #1 at the boxoffice with $17.5 million. Exceeding expectations and beating Dr Sleep.

I’m catching a 1:10 pm Dolby Cinema showing today.

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I thought Midway was terrific.

Entertaining from beginning to end with fantastic spectacular action sequences and never a dull moment.

I thought the CGI was top notch and the whole production was first class.

Even the quieter character moments worked for me as the actors were earnest and respectful in their performance.

The film even handled the Japanese respectfully and didn’t make them out to be one note monsters.

See it on the biggest screen you can before it leaves. I saw it in Dolby Cinema and it was tremendous.

If you’re a WWII fan like I am, Don’t miss it.

Reggie W, Richard V and benbess like this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    See it in the theater Robert. Pretty sure you’ll love it! :)

Richard V likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Bruckheimer had nothing to do with Midway.

Perhaps you’re thinking of Gemini Aman.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

By Roland Emmerich standards, this was subdued and grounded. It felt very much like the war pictures of the fifties and sixties, if they had modern filmmaking technology at their disposal. I thought it was better than Pearl Harbor.

I was pleasantly surprised by the historical accuracy, too. All of the broad strokes matched what I knew about the Pacific theater between Pearl Harbor and Midway. The real historical figures are turned into cinematic archetypes, which happens with most docudramas, and some of the aerial combat and attacks prioritize cinematic staging over strict historical accuracy.

While Yamamoto probably never said the "sleeping giant" quote, the attribution of it to him at the end of Tora! Tora! Tora! made its inclusion here almost mandatory. What the film did get right was Yamamoto's understanding that the longer the war in the Pacific went, the worse things would go for the Japanese. The Japanese had better technology and better-trained pilots early on, but they lacked America's natural resources and manufacturing capability.

benbess, SteveJKo and Tino like this.
  8. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I saw it Saturday and loved it. If you like your WW2 heroes square-jawed with a cig hanging out of their mouths, dancing with their beautiful wives with a big band and singer onstage, this is that kind of movie. It was quite accurate historically, and the cast was terrific. The movie covers Pearl Harbor, an attack in the Marshall Islands, a bit of the Coral Sea, the Doolittle raid and finally Midway itself. I can't complain about the CGI, because without it, there'd be no movie. If this was made in the late 40's, or the 50's or 60's, the CGI would have been replaced with back projection and models. There were times when a plane moved out of the way of debris a bit too easily, but over all, the effects never took me out of the movie. It was all I'd hoped it would be.

benbess and Tino like this.
  9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I thought Bruckheimer was the producer on the film. It was Roland Emmerich producing and directing. Bah, I have to stop relying on what I think I remember and start checking if I'm being accurate. There is a lot of producers, co-producers and executive producers on this film, but, you are right, none of them were Jerry Bruckheimer.

Although,Bruckheimer and Emmerich are interchangeable to me. The kind of movies they make are similar in my book. Still should put the credit where the credit is due though.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

What was the production cost on this film? 17.5 million seems like kind of a low opening number. It surprising that the studio is saying that it is exceeding their expectations. They must not have been expecting much from this film if 17.5 million is an acceptable number.

Unfortunately, I can't see it yet. It hasn't opened at my local "theatre".

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It cost $100 million to make. The reason the studio is saying that it's exceeding expectations is because the tracking had it performing even worse. It's highly doubtful it will break even domestically.

Lionsgate brought on a lot of financing partners for this one, though, and pre-sold the film for a lot of the international markets. So its "break even" point is lower than the production budget and marketing costs would make it seem.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Supposedly it's one of the most costly "independent" film ever. From EW.com:

There was discussion in another thread that the Russo Brothers, coming off the Marvel blockbusters, are having trouble finding funding/distribution for their next film. This is another case where Emmerich has an extensive history of big blockbusters over 20+ years, but still couldn't get funding for a war movie from a major studio. "Name" directors and history don't mean much any more when it comes to studio support. They mostly only want the guaranteed billion-dollar blockbuster.

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

That actually seems to be a more than reasonable production cost for a film of this nature. It looks like the followed a similar strategy as Luc Besson did with "Valerian". Although, that didn't work out so well for investors in that film.

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Ha ha. I guess I should have said reasonable cost for a studio film of that nature. Although, wasn't "Valerian" classed as an Indy film? I thought that one cost a lot more than this one to make.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Valerian cost around $200 million. It was funded by EuropaCorp in France, which I guess is (was?) one of the larger independent producer/distributors.

Edwin-S likes this.
  16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

One thing that will help is that this movie will play well with an older crowd and those kinds of movies tend to have decent legs.

17. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Not a great movie by any means, but enjoyable enough if you're in the mood for an old-fashioned World War II film. It's certainly no worse than the 1976 version.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That remains to be seen from my perspective.

DFurr likes this.
  19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    It’s infinitely better than the ‘76 version. Not even close imo.

David_B_K, benbess and Richard V like this.
  20. Message #120 of 154 Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I thought I read an obituary for someone who did fly and shoot down Japanese Zero's during the attack on Pearl Harbor. He was in trouble as he did this on his own without authorization. Later I think he did receive a medal.

Found an article to confirm.