What's new

Mad About You: Season One (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I might have to get this, I never saw the show, but Helen Hunt is so cute, so I have to give it a try.

By the way David, is any chance your inside sources know if Darkwing Duck is coming out on DVD? ^^

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I think Daniel hit the nail on the head a few posts ago, and that they're going to use dual-sided, dual-layer discs. These seem to be making a comeback. MGM is using them to get all 32 first season episodes (50 minutes apiece) of "The Outer Limits" onto 4 discs.

I'll buy the first few seasons of this - I loved the show when it first came out. As soon as we hit the year Helen Hunt started wearing her hair long, I'm out - the show took a nose dive about that time (season 4, I think).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

David, thanks so much for those menu shots :D:emoji_thumbsup:
For me, the show started to lose its luster when they got pregnant. The show worked best when it was just about their relationship, sans children. The show became too "cartoony" for my tastes after Mabel was born.
And at the risk of sounding like a pig, part of my fondness for the show was due to Helen Hunt. When she started losing weight like no one's business, I didn't bother to tune in as often. Her face was hardly recognizable by the final two seasons. And her character changed way too much. Paul's character became goofier and less intelligent, but Helen's became a different one altogether.
Still, I'm buying every set they put out, as even in my least favorite seasons there was comedic gold to be had. The chemistry between Paul Reiser and John Pankow was excellent in those later years :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, she carried and delivered the baby, but the actual conception was a team effort ;)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
if the price of 30 bucks is indeed correct, then I think it really will be a 2 disc set. No way they're gonna sell 3 discs that cheap. :)
As for the quality, it might be all right. ED-TV looked pretty good, and that had the layer change during the end credits, therefore the first layer contained at least 2 hours (plus one 5.1, one surround and 2 commentary tracks).
Chris

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
if the price of 30 bucks is indeed correct, then I think it really will be a 2 disc set. No way they're gonna sell 3 discs that cheap.
Hmmm...Good point. The SRP *is* $29.95, so that follows, too.
Well, we can only pray that this looks all right. I've already requested to Gord that I get to review it when the time comes. I promise to be pretty demanding. :D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I'm impressed that this is coming. Gives me hope that everyone's favorite series will arrive on DVD. Though this one won't likely be picked up by me, the fact that it's becoming available makes me excited.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
THANK GOD FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND BEAUTIFUL. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm...Good point. The SRP *is* $29.95, so that follows, too.
MASH Seasons where 3 disk sets with 8 shows apiece per disk at $29.99. Id have to check who released them.
But mash episodes are 25 minutes long. They are cut down in reruns because now half hour shows are only actually 22 minutes long. Damn commercials.
So at 11 shows x 22 minutes = 242 minutes (4 hours 2 minutes). If there are not to many audio tracks it should fit fine.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
MASH was Fox, who has been putting out their sitcom season sets cheaper than Columbia has been. Larry Sanders from Columbia still lists for $50.95 for 3 single-layer discs! :eek:

R. Kay

Second Unit
Good move on the 2 discs. Keeps price low.

More shows that'll follow need to keep the disc count low so that the public can afford all these shows that keep coming! Larry Sanders for 50 bucks is ridiculous.

By the way, does Paul Reiser wear a wig??? It seems like he's got Howie Mandel's old wig.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
If it’s 2-Disc and the price is low, I will consider buying it. I'm not that much a fan but if one entire season is the same price as a single movie, I will get it!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what about the next season with 25 episodes? will they switch to 3 discs? maybe that's looking too far ahead...

but i agree, 2 discs at that price is very appealing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder if the DVD-18 approach will be done for future seasons of the 4 Columbia sitcoms whose respective first seasons have already come out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the DVD-18 approach will be done for future seasons of the 4 Columbia sitcoms whose respective first seasons have already come out.
I will remind you that the DVD-18 approach for M.A.Y. has not been confirmed...we are just speculating here! :D
But it IS a possibility.
What I mainly came back to this thread for is to head this off at the pass, so-to-speak: DVDFile posted this morning the news about this set. They mention that the list price is $39.95; this has gotta be a typo on their part. I just re-verified that the SRP for this set is $29.95.
I grant the possibility the typo is in Columbia's original spec sheet, and Peter got ahold of something different. If that's the case, I'm sure I'll see an update pretty quick, and I'll let you know about it here. But right now I am still seeing $29.95.
Another thing to mention about this set: like other Columbia TV-on-DVD season sets, this is a USA-only disc, and not listed for sale on the Canadian side. Sorry.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
That doesn't mean online sales will be restricted to the US, does it??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, my only answer is that plenty of Canadians seem to own All In The Family! :D
Just like plenty of USA-ers own Smallville. :laugh:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
still sucks. :frowning:
There are plenty of customs safe Canadian stores for us European importers, but I don't know a single US based one.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks