Real Name
Ricardo C
Thanks, David! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Paul Reiser was one lucky bastich in that picture, wasn't he? :b

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I hope it is. One less cardboard "special" package for me to replace.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
New news for Mad About You's street date change.
Also, news about a new price for the first season of Larry Sanders! :emoji_thumbsup:
I think you all will like both! :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Good news indeed, David :)
Exzcept for the LS price drop. I bought it at full price when it first came out :angry:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, Columbia has released/announced the first seasons of several shows now, and with the repricing of "Larry Sanders" has settled in on a consistent and fair pricing scheme for these boxes. The big question to me is - when are the followups coming?? Dave, any inkling on when (or even whether) Season 2 of "Sanders", "All In The Family", etc. might be coming??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
OK, Columbia has released/announced the first seasons of several shows now, and with the repricing of "Larry Sanders" has settled in on a consistent and fair pricing scheme for these boxes. The big question to me is - when are the followups coming?? Dave, any inkling on when (or even whether) Season 2 of "Sanders", "All In The Family", etc. might be coming??
Okay, I was resisting posting this, but I'll just be done with it.

I've called Columbia and spoken to someone VERY IMPORTANT there. That's all I will say about identities. I was told that the conversation didn't happen, as far as passing it along to anyone...so potentially I'm burning bridges by making this post. But nothing was really said, either.

They have a strict policy of not discussing releases until they are announced. They won't talk about, say, an All In The Family Season 2...IF they were to make it...until I see the materials (spec sheets, release info, cover art, menu shots) actually available through my normal media resources. They won't discuss sales of the released sets, not even to say something as simple as "they were good" or "they could have been better". They would not discuss price points of the released sets, and how they affected popularity (although I think it is telling that, in the wake of my conversation, we now see the SRP of Larry Sanders dropping a bit...was that because of me?...who knows?).

I haven't said anything, and neither has anyone else, because there is NOTHING to say. Columbia just ain't talking. They won't; that's their policy. And they seem to be strict about it. And perhaps I just wasn't important enough a person to them to consider breaking that silence. But then, they really didn't know me, did they? To them, I was just some guy cold-calling them and asking a bunch of questions. As far as they knew, I worked for the competition. So I try to keep it in perspective.

I could have gone round-and-round with this person for hours on the subject, but after 20 minutes I was certain that I would never, ever be told whether or not to expect AitF Season 2, Larry Season 2, Jeffersons Season 2, or Sanford & Son Season 2.

I fully expect that they are coming. I got the strong impression that they have a plan. What it is, I don't get to know. And apparently you guys don't, either.

My plan now is to wait until January before I worry about this again. It was last January when Columbia announced AitF Season 1, their first season set effort. It quickly arrived in March. That's their pattern: get everything done and keep quiet about it until they are dead-sure it's all ready, then announce it with a small but capable marketing window to promote it right up until its release. I figure that after a year, we should hear word whether a sequel set is coming. They can't wait MORE than a year, right? AitF aired for 9 years, and I don't think Columbia wants to drag this out until 2011. Do you?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Cool, Dave. I figured if you knew something you already would have spilled the beans, but it never hurts to ask!

I was hoping they might go with a 6 month pattern, but since "Sanders" came out on 2/26, and AitF on 3/26, we're obviously past the point for a 2nd season announcement on that pattern. Here's hoping for 9 months - a yearly pattern is just too spaced out for some of these long-running shows.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm thrilled. This was near the top of my "want to come out on DVD" list (behind "NewsRadio") and now it is. I'm living for October 22nd.
Kind of wish the cover was in the style of the show's opening: Black and white photographs of Paul and Jamie with the title in color. Oh well, this is nice enough.
Think it's possible that we're going to get a chance to have an audio track with NO laugh track? Or would that even be possible considering how the show was recorded?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
John,
Think it's possible that we're going to get a chance to have an audio track with NO laugh track?
Even if it was technically possible it wouldn't make much sense. I think the show was at least partially filmed in front of a life audience, and removing the laugh track would probably result in some really weird silences.
I remember seing an episode of Roseanne without the laugh track once (I think it was due to a screw up during the dubbing process) and it was awful. There were these portions where the actors were obviously just filling time until the laughter was over, but without the laugh track it seemed like they couldn't remember their lines. :)
Chris

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, DVDFile posted a very confusing statement this morning:
And those anxiously awaiting that Mad About You: The Complete First Season set, you're going to have to wait a little longer...the street date has been bumped back a week to 10/22. Features and retail remain the same.
They've got the date right, but the comment surrounding it wrong. The original date was 10/29.
As Gord and I said here, everyone will have to wait a week SHORTER, not longer! :eek:
Peter, if you're reading this...fix it! :wink: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks