Mad About You: Season One

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

The first season of Mad About You has just been announced for a 10/29 release from Columbia/TriStar. No details are known yet, other than the release will be a 2-disc set.

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

YES!!!!
    Good God, I can't believe it's finally coming!!! This show ruled my TV for most of its run. I hope they don't slag off and release the entire run.
    Helen Hunt circa 1992... [​IMG]

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

22 episodes on 2 discs?!?!?

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

:p) Patrick, you beat me to it! I was busy getting a news item ready for Gord's site on this.
    I think the disc count may be wrong. Columbia's specs call for a 490-minute running time. Hard to fit onto 2 discs, though not impossible (just over 4 hours per disc). Compression rate would be high, though. [​IMG]
    Let's see: For 22 shows, that's 22.27 minutes per episode. Hmmm...that seems a little trim. [​IMG] I doubt that these would be edited, either. Col/TS has stated to Gord that their policy on TV Shows is "no edits...period".
    Let's hope that both the disc count and the running time is screwed up. The latter certainly was with All In The Family.

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

They could be on two DVD-18's but I think it's more likely that Columbia just put down the wrong disc count. I would guess they meant to say four discs based on the Friends and The Simpsons collections.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Oh please give us NewsRadio next, Columbia/TriStar!!!

7. George See

George See Second Unit

Between this and Friends Season 2 my wife is very happy thanks for the info. Now if only someone would release party of five on DVD that would just make her life, I think she wants party of five on dvd more than I want Indiana Jones and the Star Wars OT.

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I might buy the first couple of seasons of this.

I'll definitely be reading a few reviews of it though if the disc count is correct.

9. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

I just wish that studios would release more TV product around the end of October/beginning of November. Because there just isn't enough as it is. :p)

Chris

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I won't be buying this (never watched it), but I am glad to see that Columbia is taking TV shows on DVD somewhat seriously. If they release them to completion, even if they release shows I absolutely despise, that's all I could ask for.

11. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

What other TV shows does Columbia/Tristar own?

12. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, "Seinfeld" was a Castle Rock production distributed by Columbia; Warner actually owns those now.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    television shows owned by Columbia TriStar include (to the best of my knowledge):

1951-present Screen Gems/Columbia TV library (Screen Gems was the TV division, founded in 1951, which changed its name to Columbia Pictures Television in 1974): Burns and Allen, Hazel, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, The Young and the Restless, TJ Hooker, Designing Women, etc.

1971-1997 Tandem Productions/TAT Communications/Embassy TV/ELP Communications library (Norman Lear/Bud Yorkin): All in the Family, Sanford & Son, Maude, Good Times, The Jeffersons, One Day at a Time, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Fernwood 2Night, Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life, Married with Children, etc.

1976-1982 Bud Yorkin Productions: What's Happening, as well as a few other short-lived shows

1987, 1991-1998 TriStar television (TriStar TV merged into Columbia TV in 1987, re-emerged as a separate brand later before merging again to become Columbia TriStar Television): this show, The Nanny, etc.

some of the New World Television library, including Tour of Duty and Get a Life (I believe this may be scattered a bit)

specific Aaron Spelling shows: Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, Hart to Hart (some others are under Paramount's control)

Merv Griffin Productions: Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune

a large collection of game shows

a few independent productions: Barney Miller, Soap, Benson

Brillstein/Grey: The Larry Sanders Show, NewsRadio

That's all I know.

15. David Lambert

Matthew, good list of Columbia-owned properties. The only thing I can add off the top of my head is this:
    The new NBC series called Rerun? Every show it parodies is a Sony property. Therefore, Columbia would release the real thing under their DVD labels. So if you see something on Rerun you liked back in the day, then write to Columbia.
    The only shows off-limits to Rerun are Seinfeld and All In The Family, Columbia's "sacred cows". [​IMG]

16. David Lambert

Okay, it looks like this will be 2-disc after all. [​IMG]
    At least, there were only these menu shots for Disc 1 and Disc 2 available from Columbia today. If there were more discs planned, I assume there would be more menu shots:
    [​IMG]
    No indication of supplements, either...but that's been par-for-the course so far for Columbia season sets.

17. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

That'd be 4 hours of episodes per disc, or about 2 hours of video per layer. Three discs would probably be wiser, but a 2-disc set isn't undoable.

18. David Lambert

LukeB: I said that! [​IMG]

19. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

maybe the menus for the other discs just haven't been released or shown up online yet...

20. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Dave, Are you playing with us? First you say more Universal shows are coming. Then you show menu shots from a Columbia show. What's up??
    Just kidding. [​IMG] Thanks for the pics. Even though I am not a fan of the show. It gives me hope that some of my shows might be coming.