What's new

Logan (Wolverine 3) - March 3, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw an IMAX Laser 2D presentation last night.

Without giving away any spoilers, the movie is different in tone and attitude than every other X-Men movie. This is basically a western featuring X-Men characters, rather than being a traditional X-Men movie with western flourishes. At about two hours and twenty minutes, the film is on the longer side, but rather than using its length to pile carnage and climaxes on top of each other, the film instead devotes a large portion of its running time to character moments. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart, in particular, are given lots of occasions to act and just be the characters they portray. James Mangold's direction here is solid, and he does a great job of holding a particular mood throughout the film. The screenplay is significantly stronger than the one for The Wolverine, and unlike that film, this one does not fall apart in the final act.

It's hard to believe it's been 17 years since the first X-Men movie launched, and the franchise has been hit-or-miss for me in that time (which still hasn't stopped me from watching and collecting all of them). One of my complaints about most of the other films in the series is that we don't get a lot of time with the characters - we often see them in one battle or another, but moments of growth and introspection are far rarer. (X-Men: First Class did a great job of this, in my view.) "Logan" gives us more time with the characters than we've ever had in one sitting before, and it's all the better for it.

If I had one minor complaint, and it's really not about anything the filmmakers did wrong in this movie, but as a general franchise direction:
It's a little disappointing that we never got a Wolverine movie where Logan was fully powered and confident in his abilities throughout the entire film. The X-Men: Origins movie set up the character, but he's not really recognizable as the Wolverine we know and love for most of it. In The Wolverine, he loses his powers for a significant portion of the film, and spends a lot of time contemplating his mortality. In Logan, his powers have almost been exhausted before the film ever begins. "Logan" is a great movie, and tells his story well. But I sure wish that we had gotten one Wolverine solo movie where his powers were just a given, rather than the lack of powers being a driving force in the two most recent of the three films.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I couldn't help thinking of Children of Men given some of the plot elements. So naturally, Children of X-Men...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I think it runs a little long in spots, but that's because it doesn't sacrifice characterizations for simply the brutal slice-n-dice action skirmishes sprinkled throughout the film's running time. Fans wanting to see the use of Logan's claws in rapturous abundance when used to dispatch would-be threats to him, Prof. X and Lara, they got that in spades in this film, that R rating was well-deserved.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-. Would have scored higher if the pacing was better.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I may be alone, but I thought this was one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The story structure was a mix of western and Tarintino, and it worked from beginning to end. There are quiet spots that some may think go on too long, but I thought they built the characters very well.

Enjoyed this immensely.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I may be alone, but I thought this was one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The story structure was a mix of western and Tarintino, and it worked from beginning to end. There are quite spots that some may think go on too long, but I thought they built the characters very well.

Enjoyed this immensely.
You are not alone in that regard!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
BTW, did anyone else's screening begin with that
Deadpool short? That was great!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, sounds like it was standard to all showings.

Also, who wants to see X23 and Eleven from Stranger Things team up?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree with some of the comments that the pacing seemed a little off at times - but I loved all of the quieter moments. I wonder if there's a longer director's cut that might flow a little better. I forget who it was that said "If you cut scenes out of a long movie, you don't get a short movie, you get a long movie that's missing pieces" but I agree with the sentiment and wonder if that could have happened here.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I largely agree with Josh's comments above. It struck me as well that Jackman and Stewart have been inhabiting these roles for 17 years now, so a legacy has been built, something worth celebrating. IIRC, this is the 8th movie Jackman has played Wolverine in.

But while I liked it, I'm not as enthusiastic. IMO it's a good movie, not a great one, worthy of about a 75% tomato score. For one thing, the violence really is brutal and jarring, reminiscent of a late 80s/early 90s Schwarzenegger flick. Definitely not for kids, and that's kind of a shame for what is at root a comic book movie. I guess the success of "Deadpool" and the likely success of this film will mean more of the same. Oh well.

Also, while I appreciated the western feel and focus on "human" interactions during the interludes between action outburts, some of these dragged, and IMO the film could have been 15 minutes shorter and at least as effective.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
BTW, did anyone else's screening begin with that
Deadpool short? That was great!

What!? I saw it in a Regal RPX theater and it didn't have that.

Also, most of the audience stayed for an anticipated post-credit scene and were kind of miffed that there wasn't one. :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What!? I saw it in a Regal RPX theater and it didn't have that.

Also, most of the audience stayed for an anticipated post-credit scene and were kind of miffed that there wasn't one. :laugh:
It was there for my showing!

Last edited:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw it and it was fantastic. Beautiful final film for Jackman as Wolverine.

BTW, is it just me or does anybody else think Jackman would be perfect as a man-with-no-name type character in a western? Maybe get Clint to direct?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After thinking about it, it kind of bums me out that it took so many films to get what we got with Logan.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
IIRC, this is the 8th movie Jackman has played Wolverine in.

I checked and it's the 9th:

1. X-Men (2000)
2. X2: X-Men United (2003)
3. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
5. X-Men: First Class (2011) - one line cameo
6. The Wolverine (2013)
7. X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2014)
8. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) - one scene cameo, no dialogue
9. Logan (2017)

I'd really like to know where most of the press outlets that are reporting it's Jackman's tenth time are getting that number from. Technically, Logan is the tenth film in Fox's X-Men series (the above nine movies plus Deadpool), perhaps they are mistakenly assuming that Jackman appeared in Deadpool.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I checked and it's the 9th:

1. X-Men (2000)
2. X2: X-Men United (2003)
3. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
5. X-Men: First Class (2011) - one line cameo
6. The Wolverine (2013)
7. X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2014)
8. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) - one scene cameo, no dialogue
9. Logan (2017)

I'd really like to know where most of the press outlets that are reporting it's Jackman's tenth time are getting that number from. Technically, Logan is the tenth film in Fox's X-Men series (the above nine movies plus Deadpool), perhaps they are mistakenly assuming that Jackman appeared in Deadpool.
The latest Entertainment Weekly has a lengthy article about Jackman and clearly states "Logan" is the ninth film with him as Wolverine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The latest Entertainment Weekly has a lengthy article about Jackman and clearly states "Logan" is the ninth film with him as Wolverine.

At least someone's getting it right. It's inexcusable that the New York Times has repeated the "ten" number throughout their paper several times - they have several reviewers, but they sent the reviewer who frequently demonstrates a bias against big budget and franchise movies. I was concerned that in the case of the Times, the editor allowed the reviewer's bias to override normal fact checking procedures. But the error also appears in Rolling Stone, which generally is more positive to big budget movies, which makes me wonder if the ten number could have come from a press release or studio notes. It seems odd that multiple news outlets would have the same error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks