What's new

Logan (Wolverine 3) - March 3, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But didn't we see them all (or most) earlier?

In the nurse's video?

Technically, but those tidbits were short and didn't show much. The scenes later brought in the characters more substantially, and I think this part was a weakness.

Still loved the movie, just felt that aspect of the 3rd act was a little off...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Although the script made a point of giving each of Laura's cohort members names, I felt they were introduced pretty generically in act three, so when we do see they are still alive, they are essentially reduced to and defined by their powers (e.g. the freezer, the fire starter, etc. -- the only exception might be the leader of the group), so I didn't have the same reaction as you.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I finally got a chance to see Logan yesterday. Although Fox's grasp on the continuity hasn't been great and I tend to view each film in the x-men universe as its own thing I think it worked well because we have been through so much with the two key characters. As someone with parents who are at that age where their minds are not what they once were some of the stuff with Charles felt particularly poignant. I also hope we haven't seen the last of X-23.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Remember how, when the movie came out, many reviews were calling it Jackman's tenth performance as Wolverine, even though it's actually his ninth?

I had written a correction letter to the NY Times about it, and they finally wrote back, and said that they were given the "ten" number in press materials from Twentieth Century Fox. So that explains why multiple outlets were reporting the same false information.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Remember how, when the movie came out, many reviews were calling it Jackman's tenth performance as Wolverine, even though it's actually his ninth?

I had written a correction letter to the NY Times about it, and they finally wrote back, and said that they were given the "ten" number in press materials from Twentieth Century Fox. So that explains why multiple outlets were reporting the same false information.

I don't even remember what Wolverine did in "Apocalypse"!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't even remember what Wolverine did in "Apocalypse"!

In the middle of the movie, Colonel Stryker captures some of the mutants and brings them to a military base for interrogation. Jean Grey, Cyclops and Nightcrawler follow to rescue them. While there, they discover the Weapon X cage that the newly enhanced and memory-erased Wolverine is being kept in and free him. Wolverine goes on a killing spree, obliterating pretty much the entire staff of the base. Jean Grey does a little mind-meld thing with him and restores a piece of his memory. Wolverine then runs off, alone, into the woods. Though it's not specifically stated, it is implied that this is the military location from X2: X-Men United.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In the middle of the movie, Colonel Stryker captures some of the mutants and brings them to a military base for interrogation. Jean Grey, Cyclops and Nightcrawler follow to rescue them. While there, they discover the Weapon X cage that the newly enhanced and memory-erased Wolverine is being kept in and free him. Wolverine goes on a killing spree, obliterating pretty much the entire staff of the base. Jean Grey does a little mind-meld thing with him and restores a piece of his memory. Wolverine then runs off, alone, into the woods. Though it's not specifically stated, it is implied that this is the military location from X2: X-Men United.

Ah - now I remember! Thanks!

So Jackman played a substantial role in 7 of the 9, right? Only short parts/cameos in "First Class" and "Apocalypse"?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So Jackman played a substantial role in 7 of the 9, right? Only short parts/cameos in "First Class" and "Apocalypse"?

Yeah, you got it. He's a co-lead in the three original X-Men movies and Days Of Future Past, the lead in the three Wolverine movies, he's got a one line cameo in First Class, and that dialogue-free rampage scene in Apocalypse.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
'Logan': Black and White Version Coming to Theaters in May

screen_shot_2017-04-28_at_2.27.43_pm_-_h_2017.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One of the biggest surprises of the Oscar nominees is that Logan was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. While I am always glad to see genre films nominated, especially for major categories, I don’t think Logan’s script is really worthy. It’s overwhelmingly bleak and the script’s use of profanity is gratuitous (and a blunt departure from the rest of the series). It’s as if the language were a tool to tell the audience that this is a movie for grown-ups.

I watched Logan a second time on blu-ray and liked it less than the first time. Jackman, Stewart and Keen were outstanding. The first two gave perhaps the best performances of their impressive careers. But this bleak landscape is how it ends for the X-Men? I can’t accept that.

I have to say I would have been more excited to see Wonder Woman get some nominations. That was a more groundbreaking film, IMO.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

I watched Logan a second time on blu-ray and liked it less than the first time. Jackman, Stewart and Keen were outstanding. The first two gave perhaps the best performances of their impressive careers. But this bleak landscape is how it ends for the X-Men? I can’t accept that.

I have yet to watch this a second time for this reason, it's a difficult end. That's not to say I didn't think this movie was great. It was.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Technically, but those tidbits were short and didn't show much. The scenes later brought in the characters more substantially, and I think this part was a weakness.

Still loved the movie, just felt that aspect of the 3rd act was a little off...

A tad late with the response to this, but one of my few gripes with Logan was how much video she was able to get of the lab where the new mutants were. I kept thinking, "no one has noticed her freely stolling around shooting video of all this"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
After watching the deleted scenes, I have a question:

(Spoilers for a deleted scene)

In the alternate dinner scene, Charles tells the farmer's family that Logan had been married to Jean Grey - no big deal, I figured he was just referencing Logan's angst over his unrequited love for Jean - but then says that Logan killed her.

Does this movie not take place after Days of Future Past? I assume since we see Jean alive at the end that she didn't die and that Logan didn't kill her. Did Mangold just ignore that film? I don't like that idea.

Maybe, if we get a little complicated, we can say Charles was aware of everything that happened to Logan - through The Wolverine and Days of Future Past and everything before. In that case, Charles knew that there had been a past in which Logan killed Jean. But that explanation seems a little thin, and not very satisfying.

Obviously, it's just a deleted scene and shouldn't influence the narrative of the released film, but it shows the perspective the writer-director had in creating it, and it seems to me he started from a bad place.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam, I think the idea was that Logan was intended as more of a spiritual cousin to the previous X-Men/Wolverine films, rather than being a direct sequel or continuation to anything.

If it literally is meant to be a follow-up without any wiggle room, it sure makes watching every single previous X-Men related title depressing as hell, since it's a foregone conclusion that no matter what they do, and no matter how many victories they win, or hearts and minds they change, that they all die horrible, needless deaths.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks