What's new

Let's talk Beer (2 Viewers)

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Quick questions:

Had a Alaskan Smoked Porter last night (2003). Heard about people actually aging this one for a bit longer. How long do they keep, or is it for as long as you can hold out?

Also, and honey brews/ale suggestions? Had some last summer in various BC resteraunts and such and found them to be great in the summer.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Had a Alaskan Smoked Porter last night (2003). Heard about people actually aging this one for a bit longer. How long do they keep, or is it for as long as you can hold out?
Seungsoo, first off, this is a wonderful brew. I'm stumped as far as this brew is concerned. I'm assuming an early-mid 03 bottle is about perfect. I still have some 2001 Chimay Grande Reserve Bleu(the best), but they have just about seen their day.
As far as a porter or stout I'm at a loss. Hopefully Mark Romero could answer this. This Alaskan Smoked Porter I can never find, and when I do, don't know if I could sit on it for any period of time.
Welcome! :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I tried a new one last night from the "New Glarus Brewing Co of Wisconsin "
This was the Uff-da Bock. Highly recommended.
Supposedly according to my friend they have another one called Wisconsin Belgian Red which is brewed with Cherries. I think we are going to try that next when my friends' dad makes another trip down from Wisconsin.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I got 14 Liter bottles of Trois Pistoles on the way. I can not wait!!!

My friend is going to Dallas to buy a ton of it($600 worth) as he is thinking and a bit worried that the Unibroue deal might be bad...I hope not.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My friend is going to Dallas to buy a ton of it($600 worth) as he is thinking and a bit worried that the Unibroue deal might be bad...I hope not.
Shane I picked up some Trois Pistoles at Central Market after your last post. As always, it was very good.

And a bottle of Terrible from the same brewery. (It cost another dollar and was black as the ace of spades—had to be worth a try, no?)

What a disappointment. Way too high in alcohol, really very simple, straightforward flavors and very little carbonation—and mind you, I’m not a person who demands a high fizz content.

Anybody else have a view on this brew?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm sorry you had this experience with Unibroue's Terrible. Yes a bit high in alcohol, even for a Belgian strong, but my I found it hardly simple.
I love Unibroue's mock Belgian styles. I found Terrible actually a bit thin for what its' looks promote. This brew is an easter basket of flavors; cocoa, date and mollasses(sp?) How they come together? A bit of a cacophony but still interesting. Not as good as the near perfect Trois Pistoles. I would like to hear Mark's thoughts on this one.
SIDE NOTE: Had a few bottles of 05/2003
Chimay Grande Reserve Bleu
Guys, she's ripe and stellar. For those unaware, peek at the cork on the outside upper area near the metal clasp for month and year.
chimay.jpg

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I think Terrible straddles the fence a bit, wanting to appeal to the extreme and be a classy Belgian. In this, I think it shows its' youthfulness. Think a Stone Brewery take on a Belgian :) We saw what they did with the classic IPA. Although many, including myself, fell in love with the result.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
As far as a porter or stout I'm at a loss. Hopefully Mark Romero could answer this. This Alaskan Smoked Porter I can never find, and when I do, don't know if I could sit on it for any period of time.

Welcome!
I thought I answered this one already but if not, here are my thoughts. I had a 2002 Alaskan Smoked Porter about a year ago and it was fine although I don't really care for smoked porters. I still have a 2003 aging. It will be fine although I don't think I would let it go more than 2-3 years. And the rule of thumb usually is the higher ABV the better suited for long term storage. There are exceptions of course.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
BTW, the 2004 version of Stone Russian Imperial Stout has hit the market here in New Mexico. At 10.8% ABV, it is a little stronger than last year's. I have a couple of bottles and will get more shortly for long term aging.

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator
Any recommendations for a good BC beer?
I'm loving Shaftberry's 420 Ale, and Okanagon Spring's Pale Ale, Sleemans' Honey Brown, and Big Rock's Grasshoper (with a lemon wedge).
Any other good brews I should try?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Summer Brew Suggestion List:
Cooper's Sparkling Ale: [Lew Crippen] "a good summer beer, but not necessarily the best choice with TexMex (or CalMex, for that matter) food. It stands very well on its own--or with a barby."
Wychwood Breweries: Fiddler's Elbow [Ron-P] Ron: "A decent lighter ale with a citrus and hoppy body. A nice clean hoppy finish as well. Nice summer brew."
Rogue Brews: Dead Guy Ale [Ron-P] Ron: "A smooth brew, light on the hops, a bit fruity with a tad bit of a bitter finish. Nice smooth mouth feel which is great if your not after a demanding brew."
Bohemia-[Shane Martin, Lew Crippen}- Lew: "It is light and crisp enough to not clash with some moderate spices, yet has enough body and flavor to stand well on its own.
Think sitting outside with a fish taco, laced with some cilantro and some pico de gallo on the side."
Duvel {Zen Butler} -Zen: "very strong pale(blond, white) ale, 8.5%! (careful), crispy, refreshing, went very well with grilled portabella open face sandwich, squash and roasted corn. Very nice with many vegetarian dishes."
Stella Artois (Lew Crippen, Jack Briggs): Lew:"I think that Jack and his mate had the right approach—a few pitchers outdoors on a sunny afternoon while watching the world go by."
Cascade Lakes Rooster Tail Ale-
Duvel (The Devil)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Zen, my first experience with Duvel was when I was visiting my wife in Antwerp. We were sitting outside and I just picked Duvel off the extensive beer list if not by accident

I had one and liked it so much that I had another. I really thought that it was extraordinarily smooth, thought still full of flavor. Well balanced—so much so that I did not pick up on the alcohol content until I stood up after finishing off the second.

In short, a favorite beer of mine, and one that I often have on hand.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Lew, thank you. It appears you remember your first Duvel. Certain settings and scenery really do play a part in the experience of drinking a fine brew. I think I would have enjoyed a King Cobra-Malt Liquor "sitting outside in Antwerp." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks