What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A long way for a beer Shane—you could stop at Mr. G’s in Plano and save a few miles. :)
Or do you just consider North Texas, Baja Oklahoma?
Lew, would say Cooper's Sparkling a good summer alternative to some of the Mexican faves?
Well I drank a lot of it in Australia—it has a definite fruity flavor, but is not really not so clean and crisp as a Bohemia, for example.
Bottom line—a good summer beer, but not necessarily the best choice with TexMex (or CalMex, for that matter) food. It stands very well on its own--or with a barby.
Of course we have all of the fine wheat beers to trot out in the summer as well.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
New Belgium makes some good stuff. La Folie is world class. Fat Tire is their Budweiser. But still good.
Fat Tire just showed up at the local Costco. Man I had a strange basket this week: the DVD of Frankenstein, a case of Fat Tire, Adelis Habanero sausages, and a new weed wacker.

Fat Tire seems a little bitter for an amber ale, but I'm used to Gordon Biersch.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Dennis, amber as style is a bit tough. Usually used as a color desciption. Of course there are Bavarian Red Lagers and Ales, Marzen's that are amber in color, Vienna Amber etc.

As far as american amber lager & ales, I don't what they're imitating, so I have no clue how to judge them. I found these American Amber ALes & Lagers to be all over the map in taste, mouthfeel and finish. I would like to attend a festival to talk with some experts. More recentely, Amber has become one of the largest style entries in festivals. Micros, like Fat Tire, most likely will opt for a more defined hop finish. Dennis, this didn't agree with you? You may like the less invasive style of the Full Sail Amber. I found it a bit thin, but many praise this.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hmmmm, I'll have to swing into my local CostCo and see if there stocking the Fat Tire, I have yet to try any of their line up.
A few nights ago I hit up my local liquor shop and stocked the fridge.
A couple new brews I've recently tried are:
Wychwood Breweries: Fiddler's Elbow. A decent lighter ale with a citrus and hoppy body. A nice clean hoppy finish as well. Nice summer brew.
Monty Pythons: Holy Grail Ale. Bought this more for fun a while back but decided to crack it open. Not a bad brew at all. Another hoppy beer with a hint of citrus and a clean, light finish. A beer more for fun but not something I'd buy again.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Summer Brew Suggestion List:
Cooper's Sparkling Ale: [Lew Crippen] "a good summer beer, but not necessarily the best choice with TexMex (or CalMex, for that matter) food. It stands very well on its own--or with a barby."
Wychwood Breweries: Fiddler's Elbow. [Ron-P] A decent lighter ale with a citrus and hoppy body. A nice clean hoppy finish as well. Nice summer brew.
Rogue Brews: Dead Guy Ale [Ron-P] A smooth brew, light on the hops, a bit fruity with a tad bit of a bitter finish. Nice smooth mouth feel which is great if your not after a demanding brew.
Bohemia-[Shane Martin, Lew Crippen}- It is light and crisp enough to not clash with some moderate spices, yet has enough body and flavor to stand well on its own.
Think sitting outside with a fish taco, laced with some cilantro and some pico de gallo on the side.
Duvel {Zen Butler} -very strong pale(blond) ale, 8.5%, crispy, refreshing, went very well with griiled portabella open face sandwich, squash and roasted corn. Very nice with many vegetarian dishes.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Yea...Fat Tire Amber is suddenly everywhere now. I see it in the grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. I hear costco, and of course bevmo. At least in my neck of the woods....and why is it neck of the woods ? Why can't it be colon of the woods or ankle of the woods ?

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I will be drinking a Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine tonight. Screw the summer beers! Barleywines, stouts, IPA's year 'round.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
What is the going rate for Wychwood's Hobgoblin in your area, Zen? I've seen it at one location here, at $10 for two pints and an official glass, and there's no telling how long that "gift set" has been sitting on the shelf.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I will be drinking a Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine tonight. Screw the summer beers! Barleywines, stouts, IPA's year 'round.
C'mon hop-monster Mark, join the festivities. There are some great summer IPA's. Lagunitas Maximus for one.
You act like we're suggesting Corona or something. :)
David, I also pay $3.19. Ron-P and I shop at the same place.
David, also pay attention as to where these gift packs are stored. Is sun beaming straight down on the display? Don't buy it. I've got spoiled Wychwood at other locations. Luckily, where I go now, it's all the way in the back and have yet to get a bad bottle. Wychwood brews come in clear bottles. "Skunking" is not a myth.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
C'mon hop-monster Mark, join the festivities. There are some great summer IPA's. Lagunitas Maximus for one.
If I could get Lagunitas out here, believe me, I would be drinking it. Since I just got back from New Mexico, I now have Stone 6th Anniversary Porter, Stone 040404 Vertical Epic, New Belgium Trippel, and a few others to drink.

Just finished a Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. Very good but a little sweet.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, have you seen Lagunitas at LW? Both the Maximus IPA and their regular IPA are quite good. I usually have to go to The Wine Country near my home in LB for it.

Mark, put it on your want list on RB site or e-mail me. Laws permitting, I'm sure we could work a trade in the near future?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Zen, got some Lagunitas in the fridge right now. Picked up a 6'er a week back. Just their regualar IPA though, have not seen the Maximus.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A long way for a beer Shane—you could stop at Mr. G’s in Plano and save a few miles.
Or do you just consider North Texas, Baja Oklahoma?
Well I can't buy the stuff in Oklahoma. Our 3.2% laws suck and the liquor stores won't stock the hard to find stuff.
I'll probably make a run to Six Flags sometime soon then stop off someplace and get it. I know of a Indoor Market type place off the Tollway that has a ton of beer and I'll probably go there to get it. I know its there.
Good beer is worth a drive but if I get a craving for something decent I'll probably go to this irish place again and have a Boddingtons again. I wonder how that compares to the canned version? Zen? Anyone?
Regardless Unibroue is worth a drive :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I of course prefer the draft. The nitro cans though are pretty tasty. As to the brew itself, I find it a great ale with a hoppy snap to it. It's very available here, even at my local supermarket. A great fallback brew when I'm not excercising the palate.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If this is mentioned, my apologies..
I'm not much of a drinker, one is enough for me for the evening.. but one that four pages in I'm not finding I enjoyed when I had:
Dixie Blackened Voodoo.
On occassions where I can't find that, I enjoy Watney's Cream Stout, Corona now and again, Sam Adams Spring Ale...
I'm surprised no one has upset the thread by throwing out "Zima" or other similar things (terrible.. tried one in college.. bleh.. like liquored seven up.. even though I'm a frou-frou drinker, that stuff is sick)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Mark, put it on your want list on RB site or e-mail me. Laws permitting, I'm sure we could work a trade in the near future?
Zen, I just placed an order with liquidsolutions.com for delivery to my hotel in New Mexico. I will be there Sunday and hopefully my beer will be there shortly afterwards. Got some AleSmith and Lagunitas stuff and a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks