What's new

**Led Zeppelin DVD** Worth a blind purchase?? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I've seen this going for around $18 in some places and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on it. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan and have not bought any music DVDs in the past. I've heard that this is the best selling DVD of its kind so far, and since it includes DTS and around 5 hours of material, I was wondering what soem thoughts are on it.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
If you like Led Zeppelin buy it. If you're into 70s hard rock buy it. If you're into rock at all buy it. The only people I would tell to stay away from it are people who actively dislike Zeppelin, if you enjoy them at all absolutely, unquextionably drop the dough. It's more then a fair exchange. :)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
buy it. it is amazing. your life will be complete.:)

seriously, tho, i highly recommend it to anyone who is even a casual fan. imo, it is be the concert dvd that other concert dvd's will be compared against.

MatS

Screenwriter
certainly a great set, and well worth $18. Worth all of the praise going around? not so sure about that

imo, it is be the concert dvd that other concert dvd's will be compared against
allow me to be the first to disagree, this disc doesn't come close to touching the brilliant Talking Heads set, "Stop Making Sense". I will go even one step further to say that the just released Cure "Trilogy" 2 dvd set is a nicer concert set as well. Granted the Zep footage looks and sounds great for when it was filmed. To me the Zep disc falls below the 2 previously mentioned discs as well as Springsteen's Live In NYC and The Band's Last Waltz.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I own STOP MAKING SENSE and like it a lot, but - though I'm just a casual Zep fan - I think Page and co. deserve kudos for putting this set together in the way that they have. I'd love to see a lot of other bands go back to the vaults in the same way and bring out something of a similar quality. Based on the reviews I've read, I'll likely pick this up. Off topic, one other music DVD I'm keenly awaiting is The Who's THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT, due in September as a two disc set. The official website has had a few solid updates and it looks like the pack will have a lot of great extras, along with a ripping new transfer.

MatS

Screenwriter
as far as pulling together archived footage this right up there at the top...I just don't believe it to be the best concert dvd available

back again to the original question, yes if you are a fan it is well worth a blind purchase at that price

I'd love to see a lot of other bands go back to the vaults in the same way and bring out something of a similar quality.
ditto that

EdwardS

Grip
Hi evryone, this is my first post but I thought I should chime in here about Led Zep.....I was a fan of Zep prior to the DVD release anyway, but upon buying it I was blown away...it truely is an awesome set, especially when played with the DTS soundtrack, you can't beet Whole Lotta Love in DTS! Definitely worthy of your cash!
If I had a complaint to make, there'd be two. Firstly, given the amount of effort, time and money which went into the assembley of all the footage for this set, I would've thought it cool if a 50-minute documentary was made about, with interviews with the band members, particularly Jimmy Page and possibly a seconf documentary about Zep's career altogether....perhaps this is asking a little too much considering what we were given but I just thought, to make it a complete package, they should've included stuff like the above.
Secondly, the ommission of 1977 material is a tad annoying as we miss out on classic stuff like Battle of Evermore being performed acoustically...Page as said that decent quality source material was unavailable, which is fair enough I suppose. It would be a shame to mis out on that footage if the only reasons it was unreleased was due to all the bad stuff which happened to the nad that year...what is it with 1977 and DVD? :)
Ed

H

Hank

I've watched Moby Dick over and over. Bonham is god!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

EdwardS

Grip
Bonzo makes Keith Moon look amateur by comparison....have you seen Achilles' Last Stand from Knebworth...my God!!

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Bonzo is the greatest rock drummer in history...but I would commit suicide if I had to watch Moby Dick over and over again. It's one of the most self-indulgent, useless, boring pieces of "music" I have ever listened to. It's also the only part of the dvd/cd that I instantly hit the skip button on every single time. ;)

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
If the following words ring at ALL familiar:

"Hey hey mama said the way you move...."

Buy it! You will not be disappointed.

C

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to give you some perspective: it's not the greatest sounding DVD concert ever (Diana Krall's "Live In Paris" is), nor is it the best filmed ("The Last Waltz", "The Cure Trilogy", "Stop Making Sense", etc.). It isn't even the greatest "historical" package ("The Complete Monterey Pop" is an even greater archive, put together with more care and attention to detail, and a better sonic result IMO).

But it's the single greatest release from Led Zeppelin since they were still releasing new albums (ahem.. not Unledded), and sounds and looks better than you likely expect it will. "The Song Remains the Same" doesn't even come close to this DVD. If you like the music and the band, I suspect you'll like this DVD very, very much.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Rich.

I am and have pretty much always been a giant Zep fan. I recall playing the LP of LZ II over and over (at an older cousins house) and wondering how on earth did he get that descending riff in Whole Lotta Love???? OK, I now know, but back then it sounded like a freakin' Stuka dive bomber. We are talking 1970 or so here folks, and I was all of 10 years old at the time and I was totally mesmerized by the sound.

And this from a kid who's parent's idea of good music was polkas! To this day there is a honeyburst Les Paul hanging on the wall because I thought it looked a lot like Page's main axe.

Having said that, you aren't going to use this as your #1 HT demo disc. You will however, watch in awe at the power that was LZ in their prime.

Anyone expecting the sonics of Steely Dan and the PQ of the Superbit 5th Element will be disappointed, but anyone who has even a casual interest in the band will be very happy indeed.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks