What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Les Misérables (2012) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I oft wonder what M. Hugo might have thought of his original 1862 work being turned into multiple motion pictures and a musical in Paris in 1980. The London presentation opened in 1985, and Broadway 1987.

Tom Hooper's (The King's Speech, The Danish Girl - not Tobe) film for Universal was in production for almost a year, and the production details (at least to me) are among the most technically interesting of many modern productions - especially the fact that vocals were performed live, with music added AFTER the fact - the reverse of virally every musical created thus far. Be sure to check out the nearly half -hour long featurette on the subject. It's beautifully done.

This film is so literate, and beautifully produced that I sit in awe as i watch it, and Universal's new 4k kicks it up a huge notch by adding Dolby Atmos to the track, and a lovely layer of HDR.

Les Mis, lest anyone is unaware is a different breed of musical than, for example, the Lerner and Lowe's or Rogers and Hammerstein's, with their classic moon/june/swoon...

Operatic and more akin to Phantom and others of its type, I've become a huge fan, and this 4k is the perfect presentation on all counts.

Unless one is averse to musicals as a concept, this deserves a place of honor in every serious library.

Cast - superb, Cinematography - brilliant, Direction, editing, costumes et al - perfect!

As an aside, I love the tip of the hat to Mr. Ford in the final sequence.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 9

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - 3 (both pretty and shiny)

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I picked this up on Prime Day for $10 and now watching. The image is beautiful even without Dolby Vision. My disc keeps freezing during the I have A Dream Number and ordered a replacement However I have to disagree with your raving about the cinematography, editing and overall direction. There are far too too many closeups which are annoying enough when someone is talking no less singing, the ultra modern digital wizardry of the camerawork i.e. swooping drone-like shots and constant stedi-cam footage, and rapid music video editing sequences disengage me from the period narrative and of which ultimately leads me to this director’s choices. If only George Cukor……..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks