What's new

Laurel and Hardy Restorations Coming to Blu Ray and DVD (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They've moneyed with the "current" version of Me And My Pal. It isn't running at 24 fps. It looks like a bad pulldown or a messed up PAL conversion. There is frame dropping going on. I'm sure these restorations look great and are huge improvements. I don't know why they feel the need to put their thumb on the scale to prove it.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Sour grapes has me thinking sour grapes. Producers, please *please* don't package this set in sleeves.

Thank you.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I hope in a future bluray set that "One Moment Please", the other L&H color film will be included as it also was restored by UCLA in the early 2010's:

I find it a very poignant film, a 4 minute home movie (not mean't to be seen by anyone other than the teenager seen in the early scenes, Andy Wade) that had a life of its own during the home movie projector craze of the 60s.

Also -- L&H's 1954 episode of "This Is Your Life", hopefully permission granted by Ralph Edwards' production company -- here it is as you may have never seen it before....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope in a future bluray set that "One Moment Please", the other L&H color film will be included as it also was restored by UCLA in the early 2010's:

I find it a very poignant film, a 4 minute home movie (not mean't to be seen by anyone other than the teenager seen in the early scenes, Andy Wade) that had a life of its own during the home movie projector craze of the 60s.

Also -- L&H's 1954 episode of "This Is Your Life", hopefully permission granted by Ralph Edwards' production company -- here it is as you may have never seen it before....

The home footage includes Rand Brooks, who was married to Mr. Laurel’s daughter.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For the time being, I've decided to take a slightly different route with this.

I've placed my first ever pre-order with deep discount, as their sale U.S. price was $58.10 U.S.

While checking with the PayPal method indicated a total of around $96 CDN, I went with the re-loadable C.C. option, as I don't want my bank account charged instantaneously.

Now, I just have to hope that our Canadian dollar doesn't take any further beatings in the next few months, and that I'll actually have enough in June to keep this pre-order, not to mention potential ramifications of the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

CHEERS! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am a bit confused about this set. I have the complete shorts on DVD. How complete is this Blu ray set? Is it everything, or just a selection of ones that have been restored?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Tony,

my friend, first off i hope all is well with you and your family in the current situation, as for DeepDiscount and PayPal, once the order it is set is should be a lock, unless the price goes down. Are you using a pre load? if you have an account you can do that. make things easier, or PayPal credit, but then that opens up a whole different thing, you pay on the back end. Damn that is a good price though, a full $20 cheaper than the current amazon charge. By the way after your other thread, i now have to get the Network Blu of Flying Deuces, had the VCI copy on my wishlist, but you definitely found the superior versions that is playable here on this side of the pond is from the other side of the pond, and from their site that i checked last night it currently £5, not bad.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony,

my friend, first off i hope all is well with you and your family in the current situation, as for DeepDiscount and PayPal, once the order it is set is should be a lock, unless the price goes down. Are you using a pre load? if you have an account you can do that. make things easier, or PayPal credit, but then that opens up a whole different thing, you pay on the back end. Damn that is a good price though, a full $20 cheaper than the current amazon charge. By the way after your other thread, i now have to get the Network Blu of Flying Deuces, had the VCI copy on my wishlist, but you definitely found the superior versions that is playable here on this side of the pond is from the other side of the pond, and from their site that i checked last night it currently £5, not bad.
Hi Dana!

No, it's a re-loadable card that I got through our bank. Provided I don't end up having to cancel the order, I'll simply have the necessary funds transferred over at least a few days ahead of time. My main concern, is that while the purchase price ceiling should be a lock, I'm still thinking that a dip in the rate of exchange would still affect what I get charged once that's figured in. I should certainly hope that our CDN dollar couldn't get much worse than $0.69 U.S., but who knows with this pandemic?

Regarding that, we've managed to stay reasonably healthy so far, for which we're thankful. I hope that everything is well with you and your family.

THE FLYING DEUCES (1939) Network Blu-ray is most definitely a worthwhile purchase, although the VCI Blu-ray is also notable for the definitive HD version of the boys' THIS IS YOUR LIFE (1954) guest appearance, remastered from a 35mm source, which is why I won't part with that disc!

P.S. I place the order as a guest account, and then subsequently registered with the Item # (Which I took to be the order #?) afterward. Hopefully, that didn't create any confusion?

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Hi Dana!

No, it's a re-loadable card that I got through our bank. Provided I don't end up having to cancel the order, I'll simply have the necessary funds transferred over at least a few days ahead of time. My main concern, is that while the purchase price ceiling should be a lock, I'm still thinking that a dip in the rate of exchange would still affect what I get charged once that's figured in. I should certainly hope that our CDN dollar couldn't get much worse than $0.69 U.S., but who knows with this pandemic?

Regarding that, we've managed to stay reasonably healthy so far, for which we're thankful. I hope that everything is well with you and your family.

THE FLYING DEUCES (1939) Network Blu-ray is most definitely a worthwhile purchase, although the VCI Blu-ray is also notable for the definitive HD version of the boys' THIS IS YOUR LIFE (1954) guest appearance, remastered from a 35mm source, which is why I won't part with that disc!

P.S. I place the order as a guest account, and then subsequently registered with the Item # (Which I took to be the order #?) afterward. Hopefully, that didn't create any confusion?

they used to have those card here at a couple of pharmacies and such, but not anymore, i ended up creating an account and put $50 dollars in it ever month, surprisingly when something hits the the Barnes and Noble Criterion 50% off sale happens, i feel a little less pain because funds are already set aside, Here on the home-front everything is fine, lots of cleaning, and end to my procrastinating

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I am a bit confused about this set. I have the complete shorts on DVD. How complete is this Blu ray set? Is it everything, or just a selection of ones that have been restored?

It has a little over the third of the sound shorts, two of the ten features, and one of approx. 30-32 surviving silent shorts.

(Three additional Hal Roach era feature films aren't part of the library - Babes in Toyland is owned by MGM and Warner Bros. owns Bonnie Scotland and The Devil's Brother)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For the time being, I've decided to take a slightly different route with this.

I've placed my first ever pre-order with deep discount, as their sale U.S. price was $58.10 U.S.

While checking with the PayPal method indicated a total of around $96 CDN, I went with the re-loadable C.C. option, as I don't want my bank account charged instantaneously.

Now, I just have to hope that our Canadian dollar doesn't take any further beatings in the next few months, and that I'll actually have enough in June to keep this pre-order, not to mention potential ramifications of the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

Tony,

I hope you were aware that there is an additional 15% coupon that can be used (supposedly good thru end of Sunday) - QUEENOFSHARKS

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It has a little over the third of the sound shorts, two of the ten features, and one of approx. 30-32 surviving silent shorts.

(Three additional Hal Roach era feature films aren't part of the library - Babes in Toyland is owned by MGM and Warner Bros. owns Bonnie Scotland and The Devil's Brother)
Here's some of what I consider especially noteworthy about the contents of this upcoming release:

- The first home video release of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) since the 2015 discovery of the complete 2nd Reel, which includes the entire pie fight, rather than the 3 and a half minute pie fight highlight reel that derived from the first Robert Youngson compilation Feature! It should also be noted that the last few minutes of the 1st Reel remain missing.

- The restored versions of the boys' two most iconic Features, SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) and WAY OUT WEST (1937). The former has especially suffered from the prior horrible looking U.S. releases. It is my opinion that, PAL 4% speedup issues aside, the UK Universal SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) DVD at least made the best of the existing print and digital transfer capabilities at the time of its 2004 release. In any case, both of these classics have long begged for proper Blu-ray releases!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony,

I hope you were aware that there is an additional 15% coupon that can be used (supposedly good thru end of Sunday) - QUEENOFSHARKS
OK, I think I've managed to totally bugger things up with this!

Here's what's happened:
- I went back to my order and added the promo code, but when I try to access the credit card option, only the Paypal option pops up!

- I tried doing a separate order on my regular account instead of my guest account, which is where I made my initial order (without the promo code, unfortunately!).

At this point, the main problem is when I click on credit box, it's only giving me the Paypal option. Is this because the 15 % promo code only applies to the Paypal method of payment. All I know is, it's not giving me the option to do credit at all, now! Most annoying!!!!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It gets better:

I've run into the your name and address info doesn't match with the credit card bugaboo. Contact your C.C. people if you continue to get this message.

So much for getting the much needed 15% discount, FFS!!!!

EDIT: OK, this one's on me. I'm now 99% sure I never had the address changed for the re-loadable card after we moved. I'm currently waiting for a customer service person for the C.C. to pick up, but I have a feeling they're not technically open at the moment, so I'm probably beat! :(

Nope, I did actually place one order with my above c.c. after moving. This is a real puzzler.

In any case, it appears as though I've reached an impasse, as all banks are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and according to the Deep Discount csr, fixing my issue with address and c.c. info not matching requires contacting my bank, apparently.

Ah well, there's far more important things to worry about at present, but losing out on potentially 25% off this set still sucks! :P

Stay safe everyone! CHEERS!! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks