Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It gets better:

I've run into the your name and address info doesn't match with the credit card bugaboo. Contact your C.C. people if you continue to get this message.

So much for getting the much needed 15% discount, FFS!!!!

EDIT: OK, this one's on me. I'm now 99% sure I never had the address changed for the re-loadable card after we moved. I'm currently waiting for a customer service person for the C.C. to pick up, but I have a feeling they're not technically open at the moment, so I'm probably beat! :(

Nope, I did actually place one order with my above c.c. after moving. This is a real puzzler.

In any case, it appears as though I've reached an impasse, as all banks are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and according to the Deep Discount csr, fixing my issue with address and c.c. info not matching requires contacting my bank, apparently.

Ah well, there's far more important things to worry about at present, but losing out on potentially 25% off this set still sucks! :P

Stay safe everyone! CHEERS!! :)
And my Deep Discount order attempt woes continue!

When I called DD this morning, I was told I needed to sort out my information conflict with the bank. I waited over an hour to talk to the bank online, only to be informed the problem was DD trying to charge my CC (For a pre-order not shipping till mid June!), which of course had insufficient funds. I call DD back, only to be told there's no record of my order attempt, or even my being in their system, despite my getting more than one email from DD, including the introductory 10% off special, provided I use it within 14 days.

Confused? So the fuck am I!! :P

I've both sent emails with my screenshot attachments proving my order attempts, and tried placing another order. I'm waiting to hear back about the former, and the latter didn't work!

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
DD likely didn't exactly charge your card but hit it with a temporary, aka hold, charge. That's what happens with mine on orders from DD. When the order ships that temporary charge is converted into a full charge - but, and it's a big but, that temporary charge still makes those funds unavailable. So... that ~$55 hit as a temporary charge and until DD either ships or cancels the order it'll stay there, unprocessing, but still pulling away from the amount available.

I'd also guess that due to the insufficient funds that the order didn't fully process on DDs end which could account for them not finding you in their system. That'll still pull those funds off the available CC funds for a few days until that temporary hold falls off. I'm actually surprised the order even appeared to complete on your end due to what I've seen with their CC processing.

Because of the way most companies do those temporary charges you can't just use a card with insufficient funds to make a purchase and then just top it off a few days before or when the vendor says "We can't process your payment - please update so we can ship."

I stopped using "one time use virtual credit card numbers" due to the way those temporary charges can process. I had several orders get cancelled as the card had been hit with the temporary amount and the vendor didn't convert it but just hit the card again causing the charge to fail and the order to be cancelled. From my experience, DD *does* convert those temporary charges but they'll still reduce the available funds on the card until the time the order ships or is cancelled and the temp charge comes off.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
DD likely didn't exactly charge your card but hit it with a temporary, aka hold, charge. That's what happens with mine on orders from DD. When the order ships that temporary charge is converted into a full charge - but, and it's a big but, that temporary charge still makes those funds unavailable. So... that ~$55 hit as a temporary charge and until DD either ships or cancels the order it'll stay there, unprocessing, but still pulling away from the amount available.

I'd also guess that due to the insufficient funds that the order didn't fully process on DDs end which could account for them not finding you in their system. That'll still pull those funds off the available CC funds for a few days until that temporary hold falls off. I'm actually surprised the order even appeared to complete on your end due to what I've seen with their CC processing.

Because of the way most companies do those temporary charges you can't just use a card with insufficient funds to make a purchase and then just top it off a few days before or when the vendor says "We can't process your payment - please update so we can ship."

I stopped using "one time use virtual credit card numbers" due to the way those temporary charges can process. I had several orders get cancelled as the card had been hit with the temporary amount and the vendor didn't convert it but just hit the card again causing the charge to fail and the order to be cancelled. From my experience, DD *does* convert those temporary charges but they'll still reduce the available funds on the card until the time the order ships or is cancelled and the temp charge comes off.
You've made some great points, Howie. As it happens, I'll no longer be making ANY home video purchases, as they are now by necessity, considered unaffordable/unnecessary luxuries in our household. That's our "new" reality.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Of course, at this point, a better question might be whether this much anticipated Blu-ray/DVD set will even still be released on June 16 (Stan Laurel's 130th birthday!), 2020, as scheduled, what with some disc replication plants reportedly having been shut down due to the current global COVID-19 pandemic? :(

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Price has dropped $20 on Amazon.
It should be noted that pre-orders that require delivery outside the U.S. might not be currently accepted. I ran into this a little while ago when I tried to pre-order the Blu-ray set on U.S. Amazon to my Canadian shipping address, so I'm currently still stuck with my Amazon Canada DVD pre-order, as the Blu-ray edition isn't currently an available option on that platform.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm hoping that either Amazon Canada is able to offer the Blu-ray option for this set at some point, or that Amazon.com is able to lift their COVIE-19 related international shipping restrictions at some point before this much anticipated set's $59.95 price point goes back up (Or goes down further and then back up!), assuming that it does! :unsure:

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm hoping that either Amazon Canada is able to offer the Blu-ray option for this set at some point, or that Amazon.com is able to lift their COVIE-19 related international shipping restrictions at some point before this much anticipated set's $59.95 price point goes back up (Or goes down further and then back up!), assuming that it does! :unsure:

It's available at wowhd.ca for $87CDN.
https://www.wowhd.ca/laurel-and-hardy-the-definitive-restorations/760137358282

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Nick, but sadly for me, it's the same BS, different merchant. It seems that pretty much everybody apart from Amazon expects the balance to be on the CC immediately (I use a reloadable card!), even for pre-orders, and that's that!

The claim from Deep Discount's customer service (?) and probably wowhd et al, is the address conflict is an issue with my bank, but I know damn well from my experience with DD that the bank would likely tell me wowhd.ca attempted a withdrawal from my reloadable CC (as backed up by Howie's helpful explanations!), which for some effed up reason results in an address conflict issue with these merchants. So bloody stupid and infuriating. Why can't these merchants f*cking messages be straight up, instead of making false address conflict claims? If they do a balance available check for pre-orders at the time the order is placed, it should be stated CLEARLY, so that customers won't waste time and effort placing an order that won't clear!

The bottom line is, unless I can have the $$ put on my reloadable CC upfront, it appears that I'm stuck with the DVD only option on Amazon.ca. :(

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding Canadian order options; if wowhd.ca can offer the upcoming "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" Blu-ray option, then why in bloody hell can't Amazon.ca?

I'm fully cognizant of the COVID-19 pandemic affecting things, but if anything, the much bigger Amazon.ca platform should be better able to get the Blus if smaller Canadian outfits can, no? :rolleyes:

Stay Safe Everyone!

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I made one last ditch effort to set up an account to pre-order the Blu-ray set option, via Bullmoose.com. Unfortunately, I was unable to even properly set up my address, as their interface wouldn't even allow for Province and Postal Code entry! :unsure:

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As of today, "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" is now allowing for shipping outside the U.S. Amazon.ca is still only offering the DVD option, though I'm hoping that still may change!

P.S. Deep Discount currently has the Blu-ray edition of this set marked down to $47.11 US!

Last edited:
Reactions: battlebeast

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
According to Randy Skretvedt, both "Way Out West (1937)" and "Sons Of The Desert (1933)" look and sound better than in any previous home video release. About "Sons Of The Desert (1933)" he posted this on Facebook: "It FINALLY looks and sounds as it should in this release. No cropping, no editing, no added music or "commercial break" fade ins and fade outs, gorgeous picture and sound."

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
With the upcoming Blu-ray/DVD release of the LAUREL & HARDY: THE DEFINITIVE RESTORATIONS set only weeks away, I've taken the "Liberty" of Bolding and Italicizing the LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION Shorts and Features, as posted by David, that ARE included in the new release:
On their DVD 'The Essential Collection released years ago, there are still shorts and a few films that arent included on the new Blu-ray release including Block-Heads, Saps at Sea, A Chump at Oxford. Will the movies and shorts not on this Blu-ray set be released on a future Blu-ray set ?
I ask because Id like to retire the DVD set one day :)

I copied the list from the essential collection so everyone can see what's not on the upcoming Blu-ray release, but hopefully forthcoming

DISC 1:
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE 1929
BERTH MARKS 1929
MEN O' WAR 1929
PERFECT DAY 1929 [original 1929 track]
PERFECT DAY 1936 [reissue with musical score]
THEY GO BOOM 1929
THE HOOSE-GOW 1929
NIGHT OWLS 1930
LADRONES (Night Owls, Spanish) 1930
BLOTTO 1930

DISC 2:
LA VIDA NOCTURNA (Blotto, Spanish) 1930
BRATS 1937 [reissue, new LeRoy Shield musical score]
BRATS 1930 [original score of stock jazz-band records]

BELOW ZERO 1930
TIEMBLA Y TITUBEA (Below Zero, Spanish) 1930
HOG WILD 1930
THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE 1930
NOCHE DE DUENDES (The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case & Berth Marks, Spanish) 1930
ANOTHER FINE MESS 1930

DISC 3:
BE BIG! 1931
CHICKENS COME HOME 1931
POLITIQUERIAS (Chickens Come Home, Spanish) 1931
LAUGHING GRAVY 1931
LES CAROTTIERS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, French) 1931

DISC 4:
LOS CALAVERAS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, Spanish) 1931
OUR WIFE 1931
PARDON US (Feature, extended version) 1931
COME CLEAN 1931
ONE GOOD TURN 1931

BEAU HUNKS 1931

DISC 5:
HELPMATES 1932
ANY OLD PORT 1932
THE MUSIC BOX 1932
THE CHIMP 1932
COUNTY HOSPITAL 1932

SCRAM! 1932
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (Feature) 1932
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE 1932

DISC 6:
TOWED IN A HOLE 1933
TWICE TWO 1933
ME AND MY PAL 1933
THE MIDNIGHT PATROL 1933

BUSY BODIES 1933
DIRTY WORK 1933
SONS OF THE DESERT (Feature) 1933
OLIVER THE EIGHTH 1934
GOING BYE-BYE! 1934

DISC 7:
THEM THAR HILLS 1934
THE LIVE GHOST 1934
TIT FOR TAT 1935
THE FIXER UPPERS 1935
THICKER THAN WATER 1935
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (Feature) 1936

DISC 8:
OUR RELATIONS (Feature) 1936
WAY OUT WEST (Feature) 1937
SWISS MISS (Feature) 1938

DISC 9:
BLOCK-HEADS (Feature) 1938
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (42 min.) 1940
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (Feature, 63 min.) 1940
SAPS AT SEA (Feature) 1940

DISC 10:
SPECIAL FEATURES
A Tribute to Laurel & Hardy
On Location with the Boys: tour of set locations and interactive map
Laurel & Hardy Guest Appearances
Laurel & Hardy Trailers
By my calculation, we're 24 English Language shorts (Plus 7 Foreign Language titles, and 3 L&H guest short subject appearances!), and 8 features (Plus a streamliner featurette!) away from retiring the above collection. However, for me, some of the wonderful commentary tracks included on the above might be irreplaceable! For instance, the Richard W Bann/Rich Correll tracks for HOG WILD (1930) would be especially painful for me to part with! (Unless these are also included in the new release!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother Theodore

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I did the same thing on my own word document. Also Deep Discount DVD has the set for 47.41
plus I think they a save 15% sale if you used the word FLOWERS

It's a great deal, and they are also a solid company to order from

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I did the same thing on my own word document. Also Deep Discount DVD has the set for 47.41

Only because we're in Canada, I'm thinking wowhd.ca is our best bet to avoid any unexpected import fees. Otherwise, deepdiscount.com does have the somewhat better pricing.

Somebody previously posted concerns about the new set being released with the discs in sleeves. Based on the posting at Kit Parker's "The Sprocket Vault," the 4 disc Blu-ray set appears to be the standard packaging, presumably with spindles to house at least two of the four discs, depending on whether or not Blu-ray discs 1 and 4 will be housed on the flip sides of the front and back covers.
On a very minor nitpicking note, I did notice that "The Battle Of The Century (1927) is listed second below "Berth Marks (1929)" even though it should be alphabetically listed first, as all of the other titles are listed in alphabetical order.

EDIT: I failed to mention that I'll be getting the Blu-ray set as an early/late Father's Day gift! :D

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

That 15% off sale ended Wednesday at noon Central time. I ordered from them before it ended for a $43.73 final price. I've been ordering from DD for over a decade - back when you could get free shipping with no minimum order required.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mansibtani