What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3ypqxNpO5CYzhOFtphfmaQVhvSEI2M_large.jpg
Everyday life becomes an adventure in the wide-eyed fables and fantasies of Albert Lamorisse. Balancing imaginative whimsy with documentary-like authenticity, his beloved short films Bim, the Little Donkey; White Mane; and the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon find unforgettable emotional, spiritual, and moral resonance in the realms of children and animals, while his captivating but now rarely seen features Stowaway in the Sky and Circus Angel exult in the glories of two of his greatest loves: nature and flight. With their astonishing cinematography and purity of spirit, these five enchanting works invite viewers of all ages to experience the wonder, mystery, and poignancy of the world anew.

FILM INFO​

• Spine #1200

FILMS IN THIS SET​

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restorations of The Red Balloon and White Mane and new 2K digital restorations of Bim, the Little Donkey; Stowaway in the Sky; and Circus Angel, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • U.S. English-language version of Bim, the Little Donkey
  • New interview with actor Pascal Lamorisse, director Albert Lamorisse’s son
  • My Father Was a Red Balloon, a 2008 documentary featuring Pascal Lamorisse and his daughter Lysa
  • French television interviews with Albert Lamorisse from 1957 and 1959
  • English narrations for White Mane, by Peter Strauss, and Stowaway in the Sky, by Jack Lemmon
  • English-dubbed track for Circus Angel
  • New English subtitle translation and English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic David Cairns

New cover by F. Ron Miller

December 12, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
About flippin time ... The Network blu-ray of RB looks overly blue and White Mane looks horrible.

1695102114442.png

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Would be nice if the color is proper. Shot on 1955 neg stock, and printed dye transfer. No idea as to fade, but may be early enough to work.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
1695138004533.png

Looks a shade darker than the copy on CrtierionChannel. Don't know if they're the same transfer or not.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Maybe it says something about my taste in trashy movies, but when I saw Bim, the Little Donkey is part of this release, I immediately thought of The Apple. Sometimes, I hate my mind.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
View attachment 198602

Looks a shade darker than the copy on CrtierionChannel. Don't know if they're the same transfer or not.
When we saw this in Film Study class we were told they (I believe this is the technical term) fahrted with the color-timing to enhance the colo(u)r of the balloon and de saturate the rest to emphasize the title character :cool: ...That is fairly close to the image of the 16mm print we saw..

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
When we saw this in Film Study class we were told they (I believe this is the technical term) fahrted with the color-timing to enhance the colo(u)r of the balloon and de saturate the rest to emphasize the title character :cool: ...That is fairly close to the image of the 16mm print we saw..
It makes sense. Everything from Pascal's turtleneck to the streets and building paint jobs were done in shades of gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks