What's new

Laurel and Hardy Restorations Coming to Blu Ray and DVD (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
More information, including specifics on the contents, courtesy of Randy Skretvedt:

Here are the contents of the DVD edition of LAUREL & HARDY: THE DEFINITIVE RESTORATIONS. The official release date is June 16, 2020 (the 130th anniversary of Stan Laurel’s birth); pre-order will be available on Amazon in May.

All of the material on the six disc DVD edition is included in the four disc Blu-ray version, in different configurations. These will be region-free.

Presented by Kit Parker Films, The Sprocket Vault and Cinedigm.

All films -- including the interview films, the trailers and the audio interviews -- have optional English subtitles. The theatrical films (including The Tree in a Test Tube and That’s That) have optional commentaries by Richard W. Bann (for The Battle of the Century and The Music Box) and by Randy Skretvedt (all others).

Film preservation by Richard W. Bann, The UCLA Film & Television Archive, The Library of Congress

Digital restorations produced by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat and performed by Thad Komorowski/Cineaste Restoration. A.R.T. by Point 360. Final Conforming and Clean Up by The Finishing Touch.

Laboratory Services: The Stanford Theatre Film Laboratory, UCLA Film & Television Archive, Audio Mechanics, Simon Daniel Sound, DJ Audio, Inc., Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, Roundabout Entertainment, Inc., FotoKem, Pacific Title & Art Studio, Film & Video Transfers, Chace Audio, YCM Laboratories, The Cinemalab.

Funding provided by Laurel & Hardy Preservation Fund, Sons of the Desert Tents, Jeff Joseph/SabuCat, The George Lucas Family Foundation, The Film Foundation, The Packard Humanities Institute, Friends and Family of Ron Isroelit, The Stanford Theatre Foundation, The Winklevoss Foundation, The Carl David Memorial Fund for Film Preservation, Turner Classic Movies, Tom Luddy, Gary Meyer, Julie Huntsinger.

Special thanks to Richard W. Bann, Ray Faiola, David Gerstein, Jon C. Mirsalis, Sonar Entertainment, Paramount Pictures Archives, Michael J. Sheridan, Lou Sabini, Ralph Celentano, Les Perkins, Gary Lacher, Steve Slocum, Mike Mashon/The Library of Congress, RHI Entertainment LLC, The Museum of Modern Art, Katie Trainor, The British Film Institute, Nigel Algar, Katrina Stokes.

Disc 1
Feature:
Sons of the Desert, preserved by UCLA Film and Television Archive
Short:
The Battle of the Century, presented nearly complete with original amber tint and a new score by Donald Sosin.

Photo Galleries:
Sons of the Desert Publicity Portraits • Scene Stills • Deleted and Candids • Posters and Publicity • Early Script • Dialogue Continuity • Contracts and Documents
Battle of the Century (including Press Sheet and publicity material)
Early Career: Stan
Early Career: Babe

Anita Garvin Interview film from October 1981 (in color)
Sons of the Desert trailer (in Spanish)

Disc 2
Shorts:
Berth Marks, with original 1929 soundtrack and 1936 reissue soundtrack
Brats, with original 1930 soundtrack and 1937 reissue soundtrack
Hog Wild (from full aperture 1:33 source)

Photo Galleries for Berth Marks, Brats, and Hog Wild including production stills, press sheet articles, music cue sheets, poster and lobby card art.

Audio Interview excerpts from Randy Skretvedt (accompanied with photo galleries):
Billy Bletcher, actor
Joe Rock, producer
Hal Roach, producer
Anita Garvin Stanley, actress
George Marshall, director
Roy Seawright, special effects designer
Venice Lloyd, widow of cameraman Art Lloyd
Richard Currier, film editor
Bert Jordan, film editor
Walter Woolf King, actor
Lucille Hardy Price, Babe’s widow
Marvin Hatley, musical director (including performances of “Ku-Ku,” “Honolulu Baby,” and “Will You Be My Lovey-Dovey?”)

Disc 3
Shorts:
Come Clean
One Good Turn
Helpmates
The Music Box

Photo Galleries:
Come Clean • One Good Turn • Helpmates • The Music Box (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • A Short History of the Hal Roach Studios • Supporting Players • Crew Members • Studio Hijinks

Trailers for Beau Hunks and Pack Up Your Troubles

Disc 4
Shorts:
The Chimp
County Hospital
Scram!
Their First Mistake

Photo Galleries:
The Chimp • County Hospital • Scram! • Their First Mistake (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • Snapshots from the 1932 UK Vacation • Babe Hardy’s Vim Comedies Scrapbook • L&H with Hollywood Friends

Joe Rock Interview and Roy Seawright Interview (both filmed by Randy Skretvedt, October 1981; in color)
Ship’s Reporter interview with Babe Hardy, June 10, 1950

Disc 5
Shorts:
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two
Me and My Pal
The Midnight Patrol
Busy Bodies

Photo Galleries:
Towed in a Hole • Twice Two • Me and My Pal • The Midnight Patrol • Busy Bodies (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • Catalina, July 1934 • Portraits in Costume • Portraits out of Costume • Laurel & Hardy and Golf • Special Occasions • Odd Publicity Shots

Original trailers for Babes in Toyland, The Flying Deuces, A Chump at Oxford, Saps at Sea

Disc 6
Feature:
Way Out West

Shorts:
That’s That
The Tree in a Test Tube

Photo Galleries:
Way Out West: Portrait Stills • Scene Stills • Candid Stills • Pressbook Articles and Artwork • Poster and Lobby Card Artwork • Original 1913 Sheet Music • Script and Synopsis • Dialogue Continuity, Music Cues, etc.
That’s That • The Tree in a Test Tube • Stan in Retirement

Marvin Hatley Music Tracks (from Sons of the Desert, Them Thar Hills, Way Out West, Block-Heads, A Chump at Oxford and Saps at Sea)

Original Trailer for Way Out West

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Not that it matters much, but it's interesting he listed the DVD configuration rather than the Blu. I'm curious now how they balance the features with the shorts on 4 BDs.

It certainly looks like it'll be hard to top this first volume with all those listed extras.

Frank Bidart

Premium
This is a brilliant crucial first step in a project that I've dreamed of for many years. THANK YOU. Laurel and Hardy are among the great geniuses of world cinema. I hope that Orson Bean got to see many of these restorations, before his recent death (at 91) as a pedestrian in a grotesque double auto accident. He founded "Sons of the Desert," a Laurel and Hardy fan club. He was public and vocal about how great they were.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Absolutely Frank -- the founding members of the Sons of the Desert were Orson Bean, Al Kilgore, John McCabe, Chuck McCann and John Municino -- sadly Orson was the last man standing.

My one hope is that the contents of the Sons of the Desert disc isn't completely locked right now and there is room for a little video tribute to the Founding Fathers of the Sons -- not only would it make a great extra but since this set is top heavy with great historical documents, recordings and photos, but the story of the founding of the Sons by John McCabe and co in 1965 would make a perfect extra that brings events and L&H's story right up to the present day.

As he was part of the Sons as a teenager in 1965, my pick to do this little piece would be Leonard Maltin as he also knew many of the founders personally over the years (he also wrote the 'official publication of the Sons of the Desert', 1973's 'The Laurel and Hardy Book' as well) -- Randy and Richard Bann could also do this, but Leonard's outlook to me is one of a kind -- I hope if he has time, and that with 6 months before the set hits the streets, it could somehow be squeezed in.

It would make a great tribute to the Founders -- if they were to get any kind of credit, anywhere, it should be part of this L&H Restoration set as they were among those who through their efforts and appreciation of Stan and Ollie, this set (pretty much) exists.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
On their DVD 'The Essential Collection released years ago, there are still shorts and a few films that arent included on the new Blu-ray release including Block-Heads, Saps at Sea, A Chump at Oxford. Will the movies and shorts not on this Blu-ray set be released on a future Blu-ray set ?
I ask because Id like to retire the DVD set one day :)

I copied the list from the essential collection so everyone can see what's not on the upcoming Blu-ray release, but hopefully forthcoming

DISC 1:
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE 1929
BERTH MARKS 1929
MEN O' WAR 1929
PERFECT DAY 1929 [original 1929 track]
PERFECT DAY 1936 [reissue with musical score]
THEY GO BOOM 1929
THE HOOSE-GOW 1929
NIGHT OWLS 1930
LADRONES (Night Owls, Spanish) 1930
BLOTTO 1930

DISC 2:
LA VIDA NOCTURNA (Blotto, Spanish) 1930
BRATS 1937 [reissue, new LeRoy Shield musical score]
BRATS 1930 [original score of stock jazz-band records]
BELOW ZERO 1930
TIEMBLA Y TITUBEA (Below Zero, Spanish) 1930
HOG WILD 1930
THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE 1930
NOCHE DE DUENDES (The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case & Berth Marks, Spanish) 1930
ANOTHER FINE MESS 1930

DISC 3:
BE BIG! 1931
CHICKENS COME HOME 1931
POLITIQUERIAS (Chickens Come Home, Spanish) 1931
LAUGHING GRAVY 1931
LES CAROTTIERS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, French) 1931

DISC 4:
LOS CALAVERAS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, Spanish) 1931
OUR WIFE 1931
PARDON US (Feature, extended version) 1931
COME CLEAN 1931
ONE GOOD TURN 1931
BEAU HUNKS 1931

DISC 5:
HELPMATES 1932
ANY OLD PORT 1932
THE MUSIC BOX 1932
THE CHIMP 1932
COUNTY HOSPITAL 1932
SCRAM! 1932
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (Feature) 1932
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE 1932

DISC 6:
TOWED IN A HOLE 1933
TWICE TWO 1933
ME AND MY PAL 1933
THE MIDNIGHT PATROL 1933
BUSY BODIES 1933
DIRTY WORK 1933
SONS OF THE DESERT (Feature) 1933
OLIVER THE EIGHTH 1934
GOING BYE-BYE! 1934

DISC 7:
THEM THAR HILLS 1934
THE LIVE GHOST 1934
TIT FOR TAT 1935
THE FIXER UPPERS 1935
THICKER THAN WATER 1935
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (Feature) 1936

DISC 8:
OUR RELATIONS (Feature) 1936
WAY OUT WEST (Feature) 1937
SWISS MISS (Feature) 1938

DISC 9:
BLOCK-HEADS (Feature) 1938
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (42 min.) 1940
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (Feature, 63 min.) 1940
SAPS AT SEA (Feature) 1940

DISC 10:
SPECIAL FEATURES
A Tribute to Laurel & Hardy
On Location with the Boys: tour of set locations and interactive map
Laurel & Hardy Guest Appearances
Laurel & Hardy Trailers

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81An6YWWbBL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
On their DVD 'The Essential Collection released years ago, there are still shorts and a few films that arent included on the new Blu-ray release including Block-Heads, Saps at Sea, A Chump at Oxford. Will the movies and shorts not on this Blu-ray set be released on a future Blu-ray set ?
I ask because Id like to retire the DVD set one day :)

I copied the list from the essential collection so everyone can see what's not on the upcoming Blu-ray release, but hopefully forthcoming

DISC 1:
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE 1929
BERTH MARKS 1929
MEN O' WAR 1929
PERFECT DAY 1929 [original 1929 track]
PERFECT DAY 1936 [reissue with musical score]
THEY GO BOOM 1929
THE HOOSE-GOW 1929
NIGHT OWLS 1930
LADRONES (Night Owls, Spanish) 1930
BLOTTO 1930

DISC 2:
LA VIDA NOCTURNA (Blotto, Spanish) 1930
BRATS 1937 [reissue, new LeRoy Shield musical score]
BRATS 1930 [original score of stock jazz-band records]
BELOW ZERO 1930
TIEMBLA Y TITUBEA (Below Zero, Spanish) 1930
HOG WILD 1930
THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE 1930
NOCHE DE DUENDES (The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case & Berth Marks, Spanish) 1930
ANOTHER FINE MESS 1930

DISC 3:
BE BIG! 1931
CHICKENS COME HOME 1931
POLITIQUERIAS (Chickens Come Home, Spanish) 1931
LAUGHING GRAVY 1931
LES CAROTTIERS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, French) 1931

DISC 4:
LOS CALAVERAS (Feature: Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, Spanish) 1931
OUR WIFE 1931
PARDON US (Feature, extended version) 1931
COME CLEAN 1931
ONE GOOD TURN 1931
BEAU HUNKS 1931

DISC 5:
HELPMATES 1932
ANY OLD PORT 1932
THE MUSIC BOX 1932
THE CHIMP 1932
COUNTY HOSPITAL 1932
SCRAM! 1932
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (Feature) 1932
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE 1932

DISC 6:
TOWED IN A HOLE 1933
TWICE TWO 1933
ME AND MY PAL 1933
THE MIDNIGHT PATROL 1933
BUSY BODIES 1933
DIRTY WORK 1933
SONS OF THE DESERT (Feature) 1933
OLIVER THE EIGHTH 1934
GOING BYE-BYE! 1934

DISC 7:
THEM THAR HILLS 1934
THE LIVE GHOST 1934
TIT FOR TAT 1935
THE FIXER UPPERS 1935
THICKER THAN WATER 1935
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (Feature) 1936

DISC 8:
OUR RELATIONS (Feature) 1936
WAY OUT WEST (Feature) 1937
SWISS MISS (Feature) 1938

DISC 9:
BLOCK-HEADS (Feature) 1938
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (42 min.) 1940
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (Feature, 63 min.) 1940
SAPS AT SEA (Feature) 1940

DISC 10:
SPECIAL FEATURES
A Tribute to Laurel & Hardy
On Location with the Boys: tour of set locations and interactive map
Laurel & Hardy Guest Appearances
Laurel & Hardy Trailers

I think your question was already addressed.
From Thad Komorowksi's Post:

I'm fully prepared for the onslaught of "Why isn't it complete and in order?" questions. For the same reason the Warner Archive Tex Avery discs aren't, I suspect. There is a lot of work involved restoring and releasing classic films (even the most in-demand titles like these), and a lot of obstacles to overcome, so we have to do the best with what we got, when we can. But, I can guarantee that good sales on this will ensure further volumes. Pre-order details coming soon.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
For sale now on amazon for 80 bucks. Use the above link so they can get credit here. MEN O'WAR is my favorite and I'm glad it's on there! Thanks for all the info!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For sale now on amazon for 80 bucks. Use the above link so they can get credit here. MEN O'WAR is my favorite and I'm glad it's on there! Thanks for all the info!

Thanks, guys, for using the link. Much appreciated.

I just put my order in. Anything Laurel and Hardy is a must-buy for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I added the DVD preorder to the above link as well in case anyone is interested in that version. Thanks Rob!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thanks,
seriously we are living in amazing times,Laurel & Hardy, Mary Pickford, 3D Rarities vol II, Abbott & Costello and Africa Screams, Tex Avery and fingers crossed more Popeye possibly in 3D even, and hopefully the next Mack Sennett collection?

when people complain about the quality of releases, they must not look very hard, because surprising quality releases are happening, restorations are making it to physical releases. I just hope the numbers do well enough to continue this trend, especially if it lead to another group of Roach shorts The Our Gang comedies, treated with the same care and love theses have seen.

Everyone of the titles in this Laurel and Hardy collection, looks amazing from the comparisons on YouTube,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks