What's new

In wall speaker help (1 Viewer)

Wingsman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hello,
I am in a speaker situation that most of us face (wife acceptance). I do not have a dedicated HT. I use my living space as such, and have tried to set it up with good components as best i can. My current setup consists of an Anthem 710 receiver, right and left Paradigm Studio 20 speakers up front, Paradigm center and surrounds, and two SVS PB-2000 subs. We have recently moved and the new living room has Klipch in ceiling speakers already in place as surrounds (blah). I am looking into replacing my Paradigm LCR's with in walls. I understand the dilemma concerning in wall speakers but I;m sick of arguing with my wife (lol). The one criteria I have is that they be enclosed in wall speakers. I have been reading and researching for months. As you all know there is little to no information regarding most enclosed in walls. I am interested in the PSB W-LCR in walls. Keep in mind, I am approximately 100 miles from any dealers to demo speakers now. Will I be happy with the PSB W-LCR's or should I direct my thoughts to another brand. Any input would be appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m reminded of an experience I had back in the ‘90s when I bought a pair of car speakers after reading a positively glowing review in possibly the most respected car audio magazine. I thought they were some of the worst sounding speakers I had ever heard.

Bottom line, you really should make the drive to hear the PSBs yourself. Everyone’s taste in speakers is different, and I sure wouldn’t buy something as permanent as an in-wall speaker based on someone else’s recommendation. Car or bookshelf speakers can easily be switched out if you decide you don’t like them. In-walls, not so much.

Better yet, fight harder for the Paradigms. Even if you like them, it’s highly unlikely any in wall speaker will sound as good as a comparably priced stand-alone. IOW, using your Paradigms as a reference, an in-wall speaker that sounds as good will probably cost 2-3 times more. When your wife chokes at the price, she might relent on the Paradigms. :)

Regards,
Wayne

Wingsman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thank you for your thoughts on my dilemma Wayne. I completely understand and share your opinion about losing sound quality when a speaker goes into a wall. Unfortunately I'm afraid my speakers will end up there for aesthetic reasons alone. I'm going to have to try and audition some in person, maybe check out some of the Totem line while I'm at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks