What's new

I'm really bummed that Natalie Portman may give up acting after she graduates. :( (2 Viewers)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
You know GerardoHP, no one really cares that you or your friends haven't a clue about Natalie Portman's acting ability. I can already tell that none of you have seen Leon or Beautiful Girls, which makes your opinion (and your friends') worthless. Watch them and if you still feel the same way, then come back and give a reasoned critique on her acting and WHY you think she's "overrated."

But I do respect that others love her.
THEN WHY POST IN THIS THREAD? You're a thread farter, and posted in direct defiance of the moderator's wishes.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Reminds me of Jennifer Beals, who was a freshman at Yale when she did FLASHDANCE in 1983. Although she may have talked about it, she didn't quit acting thereafter. But she didn't really dive into it and go on to a big career like some might have expected.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I remember the rather high profile walk from acting that Sherry Stringfield did in 1996 from ER. I believe that it was to spend time with her family, and was at a time that the show was on a huge peak. Of course, she did return this year, so it wasn't nearly as final as expected.
Natalie, and Jodie as well, are somewhat unique in that they didn't major in acting, but instead on some other subject (psych for Natalie, English Lit for Jodie). In that sense, they may have the degree to participate in another career other than acting, which is what most college graduate actors majored and graduated with.
Of course, she might find that she could have a thriving practice in psychology or psychiatry. She's described some of her fans as having major psychological problems. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm starting to wonder which would be better:

Natalie Portman and Jodie Foster on Celebrity Jeopardy

OR

Natalie Portman and Jodie Foster in a REALLY good movie

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
NP is a smart cookie, but I imagine JF is a bit smarter. So Jodie Foster on C Jeopardy...but both in a movie :D
I'll be there!
Take care,
Chuck

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember Jodie Foster got over $25,000 on Celebrity Jeopardy, and that was before Final Jeopardy! She's one smart-as-hell cookie!

I think that Natalie Portman is the ultimate female role-model. Intelligent, talented, and attractive. If only there were more of her than there are....then maybe I'd have a chance of gettin' one.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
the examples of Grace Kelly, Ronald Reagan and Fred Thompson are technically accurate, but if you think about what they gave up acting for...
after all, Kelly became Princess Grace, Reagan (ultimately) became Mr President, and Thompson might still harbour such ambitions, though Senator isn't bad either.
not quite the same as walking away from acting and becoming a J6P, izzit? :D
(oh, all right, since we don't like the J6P moniker, "ordinary joe" then. :D :D )

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
NP is a smart cookie, but I imagine JF is a bit smarter.
Well, JP also has a few years on NP (no offense to Jodie, of course :D ).
At any rate, I'm glad Natalie has decided to continue acting; she is extremely talented and intelligent, but not snooty. I just have a lot of respect for her, and I'm looking forward to future roles she takes on.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Sometimes people get frustrated. I seem to remember that Anthony Hopkins said he was totally finished with acting after his experiences with "Titus". Well; he's still doing films.

I put NP and JF in the same class of intelligence. One of the local St. Louis DJs,who also does entertainment reporting, wrote a book and in one section he talked about his experiences interviewing celebrities. He said of Jodie Foster; "...so amazingly smart you can hear the microprocessors whirring away inside her head."

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
There are some that would argue that any J6P-type job is a more productive occupation than Princess, President, or Senator. :)
However, the original question
Don't forget that many people in Hollywood say many things they won't really do in order to get attention and feel righteous, I suppose. (We have all heard of certain actors and actresses threatening to leave the country if a Republican gets elected president, yet they haven't.)
this has already been stated, there is a lot of hot air and not much substance in Hollywood as well as a certain city that begins with a W.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think this country (if not the world) has more than enough actors & actresses, if she wanted to do something more substantial with her professional life I say more power to her. The world needs intelligent non-"dream makers" too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I say more power to her for actually finishing college and getting a good education instead of not caring and relying on her acting for the rest of her life.

If she is as smart as we can safely assume, then let her explore how far her intelligence can take her. If she wants to make movies and be filthy rich at the same time, so be it.

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno about that. I mean, she's a junior at Harvard with a freakin' 4.0!
Ummm... Harvard has massive grade inflation. almost 90% of the grades are As. Getting a 4.0 is the easiest thing in Harvard. I have friends in Harvard who say the only hard part is getting in. Once you're in, you're almost guaranteed As.

Oh and she definitely wouldn't have gotten into Harvard if she weren't a celebrity. She only got 1400 on her SATs. Smart? I guess, but she can't compare with Jodie Foster.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks