What's new

I'm really bummed that Natalie Portman may give up acting after she graduates. :( (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Well, Ron, since they are both beautiful, extremely talented, grounded, intelligent celebrity ivy leaguers, he's obviously talking about something we aren't aware of.;)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
There's lot's of smart people out there. One of the most surprising to me was Tom Morello, Guitar player of Rage Against the Machine (arguably one of the best guitar players around). Anyway, he is also a Harvard Graduate. Now that I know this I respect him even more.

I have a lot of respect for NP for continuing school and really challenging herself even though her acting career took off and she could do whatever she wanted. Good for her!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Aren't all the band members of Weezer Harvard dropouts or something like that (dropped out to pursue music)?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Aren't all the band members of Weezer Harvard dropouts or something like that
going a bit OT, but Queen were also all highly educated, graduates all, and IIRC either Brian May or Roger Taylor was working towards a doctorate before dropping it to concentrate on music. and Dr Alban (some modestly successful rapper/singer from Sweden) is a qualified dentist (hence the "doctor").
for that matter, Dolph Lundgren (believe it or not!!! :D ) holds, IIRC, TWO master's degrees.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I did not know that Vickie...interesting.

Another Harvard grad (unless he has been mentioned) is Conan O'Brien.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>She has such a sweet and real presance on screen that just makes me fall in love with her in every dramatic movie she does. I really hope it's true that she has changed her mind on this, I really do.>>
Not quite sure what the term thread farting is, so hopefully this dosn't fall into that category...
Heh, Agreed. I 'discovered' her in Phantom Menace, have to check out some of her other movie roles. Herself and Ashley Judd are some of the hottest ladies in the biz :). And judging by the costumes in AOTC, it seems the producers thought Portman grew up into a fine young lady as well.
BTW, How old is Portman now? For some reason, I didn't think she was old enough to be attending college now when TPM was airing...
The personality of those ladies is what I would find attractive IRL, down to earth and real friendly i nthe few interviews I've seen. Oh yeah, the looks help as well :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Of course, she might find that she could have a thriving practice in psychology or psychiatry. She's described some of her fans as having major psychological problems. >>

I can probably imagine. I wouldn't want the job of answering those fan mails!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>I think that Natalie Portman is the ultimate female role-model. Intelligent, talented, and attractive. If only there were more of her than there are....then maybe I'd have a chance of gettin' one. >>
Agreed :). Although, you'd think attractive people like her would go towards the other attractive males. Here's hoping she's smart enough to know that attractive dosn't always mean better. Then non male model types like myself might have a chance with someone like her :).

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody leaked out her real last name?
Dana, you're cool, but this really bugs me. And shame shame shame on the person who answered. So she's over 18, so what? So she's an actress and in the public eye. So what? She's worked hard to protect her family's and her own privacy. I mainly blame the media who made such a big deal over the fact that Portman *wasn't* her real last name. That made it a CHALLENGE to find out what it is. Sad.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Vickie,
I can understand your sentiment, and empathize a little. In actuality, she will be 21 in less than a month, so I think that any sentimentality attached to her over this because of her age (something I know you did not do, Vickie) should be a non-issue -- she's a full-fledged adult, and should accept all the risks that come with it.
The point you make, though, gets to the heart of the matter: Age aside, should the press (or anybody else for that matter) give out such information?
Unless there is an immediate or imminent danger on a family member's life, then I say the answer is a qualified yes -- if someone asks about it, and if the information is obtained through legal means, the person has the right to know -- intrinsic traits should not be recognized in the right to privacy (except in very specific circumstances, which in this case do not apply); when one makes a career of being in the public eye, one should not create the basis where he or she may feel harmed when such non-rights appear to be "violated."
Of course, the actor/actress has every right to prevent the information from finding the light of day...but when it DOES find the light of day, the individual should accept it as a normal consequence of taking a job in the spotlight. Note that does not give the press a de-facto right to lay EVERYTHING about the individual out for public consumption -- just basic, common traits that all humans consistently share (like names).
In my case, it was a matter of intense curiosity, which of course was heightened by the fact that the media did make a big deal about it (at one time), combined with her continued request to keep it private (which was acquiesced by the press only by placing age as the barrier -- a sort of straw-man they could later tear down at the right time).
When somebody tries to hide something, there is a *natural* tendency to try to figure out the secret. I don't blame Adam one bit for giving it out, but if he had said, "I know, but wish to support her in her request for her family's privacy," then I would support that as well (and try another source myself).
I don't think either in this case has a higher moral or ethical ground -- although the latter may be more respectful, which I guess could be taken to mean the "better" road to take.
I'd say that no actual harm has been done by telling the name -- only perceived harm whose foundation was built upon a very tenuous position.
Sorry for the philosophical tangential ramblings -- let's get back to the topic...and let me wish Natalie the best in whatever career choice she makes.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Is it just me or did she grow up real fast? Or maybe she was just much older than she made out to be in "HEAT".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks