What's new

I'm finally gonna get an SVS, but I need help picking one....... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Business was VERY good for me this year, so I'm gonna finally get an SVS to see what I've been missing. I've heard very good things about HSU subs as well, but as far as brand recognition goes, my mind seems to connect more w/ SVS. Anyway, my room dimensions are easy: Imagine a small to medium size rectangle room that measures 25 ft. long, 11 ft. wide, and 8 ft. high ceilings. I currently use a Sony SAWM40 subwoofer that does just OK, but seems to leave alot to be desired. My receiver is a 7-channel Panasonic Digital amp. Based on my setup and room size, which sub would be best matched to my room? Even though my Sony sub has a 12 inch woofer, I get the impression that a SVS PB10-NSD sub would best it. Is this true?

From there, I was also wondering what a 25-31PCi, 20-39PCi, or PB12-NSD would do for me since all (including the PB10-NSD) are $599 and under. If the PB10-NSD would be a significant upgrade, I'd love to go that route and save a little cash, but I did set a limit at $599, so no big whoop. My listening habits are a movie or 2 every month, but if the sub is as good as I expect, that may change.:) Anyway, what do you recommend? Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
How loud do you generally listen? If you listen close to reference levels then you'll probably want the 25-31. If you listen well below reference level then the 20-39 or the PB-12 may be more appealing (I'm pretty sure the PB-12 is tuned to 20Hz also).

Brent_S

Second Unit
Yes, the only drivers shipping now are the NSD (i & NSD subs), 12.3 (Plus series), both built in-house by SVS, and the TV-12 (Ultra).

If you're mostly satisfied with the Sony sub, then any of the SVS will put you light years ahead. The 12" drivers will produce a little more SPL than the 10", but only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost. With your budget, I'd get the 20-39Pci and call it done.

-Brent

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
According to Tom V, the PB-12NSD and 20-39PCi are quite comparable. I would go with one of these. The 20-39 is about 25 pounds lighter, but is clearly more visisble. Take your pick.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Just to clarify, when I say that the Sony sub does just OK, I really mean that there seems to be nothing spectacular about it........just "plain vanilla" OK.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I would email Tom or Ron at SVS. Fax them a floor plan of the room if available. They will get you the right sub.

I must have had 15 conversations with them and they did me right. Best purchase of my life.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Your room is at the large end of single driver range. If you had another $300 I'd steer you toward the PB12NSD/2, a great value for 2 12" drivers at $899. If $600 is your limit, either the PB12NSD or the 20-39PCi(NSD) will do a great job for you. The PB10 is a little small in that room IMO.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
That's a little bit of a surprise for me. I thought my room would qualify as a small to medium. Maybe that's why I can't get the Sony sub to sound pleasing.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike

If you can get me an Ultra or Plus/2 for the OP's limit of $600, I'll take all you can get.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

I agree with the recommendation to give the guys at SVS a call and talk to them about your floor plan and they will give the best option.

Parker

MaRtIn^dB

Grip
Real Name
martin^db

stay with a 12" driver if possible...you'll have to retrain your ear once you move on to SVS...the Sony SAWM40 has been noted to be quite boomy and the SVS "may" sound leaner than you are used to but the infrasonics and overall output increase will definitely make you smile...despite what Sony claims, the SAWM40 is not a 20 Hz capable subwoofer...the entire SVS line is...

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Right now I have the 20-39PCi and the PB10-NSD on the short list. Here are my reasons why........

20-39PCi - small footprint, excellent middle ground between the 25-31PCi and the 16-46PCi, and no remorse had the smaller PB10-NSD not fit my needs.

PB10-NSD - $170.00 difference from the 20-39PCi, playback down to 20Hz, seems to be perfect for my room giving me no more, and no less than what I need (although I could be wrong, and "just" meeting my needs could come back to bite me in the rear should I ever move). What impresses me most about the PB10-NSD are the reviews of people who have room conditions that are similar to my own, and a few that are more challenging than mine, but they state that the PB10 far exceeds their expectations.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the help so far. I will call SVS tomorrow when they are open to render some expert advice. This is so fun.:) Did anyone else vasillate back and forth, or did you know exactly what you wanted?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If the lack of a crossover on the PB-10 is of no concern to you, then it should meet your needs well. That is what keeps me from considering the PB-10, the only powered sub SVS makes that lacks a crossover.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Well, I pulled the trigger on a black PB10-NSD for my sealed 2200 cu.ft. room. The wonderful guys at SVS recommended a PB12-NSD or a 20-39PCi, and according to the measurements, that is about right for my size room. But from all the reviews I've read from satisfied owners of the PB10 (some w/ rooms in excess of 3000 cu.ft.), it will do my room just fine for the levels I listen at w/ plenty to spare. And if I want more, I'll upgrade and eat shipping lesson learned. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll do a review when I get everything set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks