What's new

I Am Green, & Need Some Input... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Hello guys/gals. This is my first post to this fourm and am in some need of advice on a particular HTIB system. I have been looking around quite a bit lately online to find the most bang for the buck on a new home theater in a box. Here are my needs...

1. Cost $800 or less
2. Very good sound quality, with a solid subwoofer
3. Progressive-scan DVD player
4. A separate tuner with lots-o-input/outputs
5. It has to be silver!

I want a HTIB with a separate tuner and DVD, so more input/outputs are available for interconnectivity. I'm no audiophile, but I can appreciate great sound quality. The TV I am hooking this up to is the Sony 40XBR800 HD direct-view tube. The room this theater is going to be in is rather small at 12' wide x 13' deep.

Here are a few systems I have been looking at online that have sparked my interest, but only one has got me dialed for now...

1. Yamaha YHT-740
2. Sony DAV-990
3. Sony DAV-770

The only problem I have with the Sony dream systems is that their subwoofer is of the passive variety, therefore leaving solid bass response out the window...so I've read. I haven't found/heard of anything really negative about the Yamaha system though. This is where I need some real help. Can anyone speak on this Yamaha system, or maybe recommend another great system for the needs I have listed above?

I appreciate everyones help, and look forward to being a member of this forum. Later!

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
The sony systems violate your 4th requirement. The DVD player is built into the receiver. That's the whole idea of the "Dream Systems."

So, while we're bending your rules, you might want to consider the Onkyo HTS760 ($549 @ Crooked City). It has a full freatured DD-EX/DTS-ES reciever that does component video switching and 6.1 surround (Only the Yamaha you listed has 6.1). There's no DVD in the package, so you can pick out your favorite progressive scan model and still spend less than your $800 budget (There's also a package called the HT-S767C which is the same but includes a 6 disc DVD changer - street price is about $775). The only problem you'll have with it is that it isn't silver.

Maybe you should consider that it will be cheaper in the long run to be classic rather than trendy. What are you going to do next year when the "cool" home theater systems are da-glo purple? Will you throw out your 1 year old system and spend another Grand on a new one next year, and every year that a new cool color comes out?

Or you could just buy a can of spray paint :D

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
To temper my previous post ... here's a possible compromise (thanks to Bill Wil's link in another thread)

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...60S&type=9&p=f

This is a 5.1 system similar to the one I mentioned above that is SILVER to boot. $440 direcet from Onkyo (factory reconditioned).

Personally, I'd still lean towards the 760. For only $100 you get a DD-EX/DTS-ES 6.1 system. That gives you a bit of future-proofing.

Happy shopping!

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Adam. I initially didn't mind the single component setup of the Sony, because I am partial to Sony products. However, being the subpar sub of the Sony systems eliminate them as a possible solution, the Yami looked the best. I know I sound a bit like a chick about the color having to be silver (nothing against chicks, I love them), but I really want the room to match and not be calico. Plus, purple will never be my color, remember, I like chicks!!

Anyway, have you heard/seen anything on this Yami system? From what little I could find on it, I have yet to see anything negative. Some of their older HTIB system have been trashed in a few areas, but supposedly this system (and the YHT-940) have cleaned it all up. Thanks again!

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard much about the YHT-740, but a friend has the YHT-700 which appears to be similar. I don't like the DVD player they bundled with the 700 and the speakers are crap (from the pictures, it looks like they upgraed the speakers on the 740, however). That's one of the reasons I recommended the Onkyo system without a DVD so you can choose a player that is genuinely good at playing DVDs.

I'd drop by your local best buy/circuit city if I were you and check out the quality of the Yamaha before you buy it online (looks like they carry the yht-740 at BB).

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Adam since he agrees with me. :D
I would recommend the Onkyo system over both the Sony and the Yamaha. But like everything else it all depends on your taste. Try to compare a few systems so you can pick one that you really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks