What's new

Amp/Center Speaker (1 Viewer)

Jordani

Auditioning
Real Name
Merek
I am very new to home theatre tech and need some equipment. I have four speakers in my home right now (two front, two back) and am looking for an amp and a front center speaker to match (potentially a subwoofer as well). The two front speakers are PSB Stratus Silver, and the two back speakers are Kef speakers, model 1033 (not sure what year, exact type, etc.) with 4 Ohms. I already have a Sony multi channel AV receiver STR-DH540, but one channel has stopped working. Everything I have is currently bought second hand, so information is limited. Do you have any advice? Also, if cost exceeds $600, would it be worth it to purchase a Yamaha - YHT-5960 Home theater system instead?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your receiver isn't designed to use an external amp, since it doesn't have preamp outputs. If it's the center channel that no longer works, then you're out of luck running a center speaker unless you replace the receiver or get it repaired, which probably isn't worth it anyway.

The speaekers you have no are probably significantly better than in the Yamaha system, so you'd be better off replacing the receiver and using the speakers you have now.

Jordani

Auditioning
Real Name
Merek
Thank you for the feedback. Do you have any advice on what receiver, center speaker, and subwoofer to get? I trial purchased the same type of receiver I mentioned above, just newer, and the subwoofer wouldn't work, so I'm thinking that it's blown. (I returned that receiver because I didn't want to run into the same problems later down the road.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks