What's new

Input on new HTPC Build (1 Viewer)

Billroden

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Rodenhurst
Let me start by saying that the format that I originally typed up was a lot easier to read. When I put it on this forum, it meshed everything together as if it was one long run on sentence.
I have been doing a lot of research on building my own HTPC. I finally narrowed it down to the following list of components. I still have a lot of questions that seem to pop up every time I want to get starhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/join2ted. So I thought I would post my project on this board and see if I can get some feedback as well as some questions answered. The purpose of the PC is mainly for my DVD/BD movie collection (including 3D) and recording TV. The system will be pumped through my AV receiver for True HD sound etc. Eventually I want to have a few of these systems in my house so that I can watch a recorded show or movie anywhere in the house. I have narrowed my search down to the following items.
Case: I haven't decided yet but these are the two I am choosing from...feel free to chime in if you have any input.
nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
OR
SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black)
One of the questions that I have regarding these cases is a remote control. I see some cases that come with a remote control to maneuver around on the screen. Do these have RC's? If not, what do I use to navigate between screens on WMC or Mediaportal etc.
CPU: Intel Core I3-2105 Processor Or Intel Core I5-2500K.
I am leaning towards the I5 only because of the price point. I am interested in playing blueray as well as 3D movies on this system. I think either processor will work for that.
MB: Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 Motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B​3)
This is all I really researched. It seems to do what I need it to do. Any other suggestions or input would be appreciated
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3 10666) 240-Pin Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4G​BRH
I don’t think I need much more than this to play media.
HDD/SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SSD will be used only for the Operating system. I have seen other systems built with only this much storage and they seem to be sufficient.
I havent decided on the size of the HDD yet. I do know that I want two HD's installed in a RAID1 configuration so that I will have an automated backup of all the media. Each HD will be either 1 or 2 TB. 1 TB is all I need right now but by having 2 TB, it will allow for growth in my collection as I buy more movies and stuff.
DVD/BD Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP
I want to be able to rip BD and DVDs to digitize my collection. I want the drive to be able to view 3D content as well. I understand that the software is what allows that capability but can anyone see any issues with this drive? Will the CPU video processor be able to handle 3D or will I need a separate Video card?
Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Video Devices & TV Tuners
Here is where I fall short in my research. I don’t know anything about Tuner cards. I want to be able to record 2 shows and watch a recorded show at the same time in HD. Or watch a separate channel while recording another one at the same time. I want everything in HD. I believe I will still need my Comcast cable box but I would like to get rid of the DVR box and stop paying for that. I assume I will send the output from the cable box to the input of the tuner card. This is where I could use ANY and ALL input.
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green 380 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
I think this will be more than enough power to run this system. Am I wrong?
I look forward to any responses to this post. I am eager to buy the parts and start working on it. I can keep this post updated if anyone is interested in how this goes. I am sure there are other things that I could add to this but I have been waiting forever to get started.
Bill R.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
You will be happy with a 2500k, and with Microcenter dropping the price of them to $169, cant beat it. True, an i3 will work just fine, but might as well get something that can do more than just stream if ever needed.
The SSD is perfect. Same one I am using in my gaming/HTPC rig. Solid.
What about a slim GPU? You might want to try to toss something in if you have the budget....nothing over the top, but something.
Also, size wise... do you really want to do a full size ATX build? Could do something a little sleeker if you really wanted to for about the same if not less money./

Billroden

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Rodenhurst
I ended up getting the Silverstone case. Its pretty slick and looks nothing like a tall case/tower. It will match nicely with the other components. the micro ATX leaves a lot of room in this case for airflow.
I settled on the I3 only because it was a little cheaper than the I5. was almost $80 more. I dont see me needing much more than that. I used that $80 for the BD player :) Maybe I could upgrade it if I need to. I also settled on getting 8g of ram as opposed to 4g. it was only $17 more for twice the amount. Made sense. I have all the components but havent had time to build it yet due to my boys baseball games. As for the graphics card...could you tell me what I would need it for. From my understanding....this processor is all I would really need for movies and tv. If Im not satisfied with it, I will add one down the road. This is going to be an ongoing project after all.
Thanks. I will keep this updated after I start building it.
Bill

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
The graphics card I would be looking at is a low profile Nvidia GTS 450 or so. It would just be a better GPU than the iGPU that is in the i-series processors. Dont get me wrong, you would be fine with the i series, but the graphics card would help out quite a bit for overall use as well.

xfett

Auditioning
Real Name
Mr.
You can get by with an I3...I5 is just overkill for any HTPC. The Intel GPU should work fine for any HD audio and 3D playback. Right now Im running an Intel G530, Asrock H67m-ITX mobo and it plays everything I throw at it...even 3D. The G530 barley uses over 40% on either core during playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks